Anyone ever heard of El Bucanero

3,690 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Sniffing Accountant
SA Ag 91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I clicked on one of those "20 things to do with friends from out of town" and one of the things that was named was El Bucanero. Apparently two locations - one on Blanco and one at Bitters and West Ave.

Mexican Seafood is there specialty.

Looking for some reviews.
jgh85Ag
AG
The civiche is pretty good. And so are the seafood caldos. Their fried stuff is not good and neither is their tex Mex.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
Be ready, the Blanco location is usually packed, lots of times people waiting outdoors. I live less than a mile away and never have been.
SoTxAg
AG
Wife and I went for the first time a coiple weeks back. Had the bandera ceviche which was good. Very festive atmoshere.
TX AG 88
AG
Live nearby. Have been twice. Not impressed once, but due to the huge crowds decided to give it another try. Won't be back.

Not HORRIBLE, just nothing worth going back for, imo. The waiter had a hard time with English and got our drink order wrong, so I went and told the bartender what I had REALLY ordered. I believe the clientele is predominantly Mexican nationals and recent immigrants, and I guess the food is authentic to within-Mexico fare?

I don't remember, maybe we ordered tex-mex plates and failed by not ordering something more in keeping with a visit to a coastal Mexican resort?

If you try it, give a review here. Based on the crowds, we gotta be missing SOMETHING! That location has been a graveyard for restaurants, and this one is going gangbusters.
AG_02
AG
Some of their seafood is pretty good. Seems like everyone drinks beer ritas there as well.
always gig em
AG
Get the "gran pachanga" if you go.
george92
As mentioned before, it's a Mexican seafood place. Their nonseafood is not very good although I get the Carne asada street tacos for lunch every now and then. The fideo soup is the best. I office right next door. It's extremely popular with the undocumented workers. The place goes wild on Friday nights. If you want the best tex mex on Blanco (north of 410) go to Ruthies at Blanco and West Ave. It's a dive but great for breakfast and lunch.
UnderoosAg
AG
If you're looking for Texmex, find a place with Spurs logos painted on the windows, or 37 CPS trucks out front.

If you visit either Bucaneros, take your passport. Friend of mine ordered their hamburger once. Because he's stupid like that. I think they sent someone to the old Jack in the Box off Bitters to get one for him. WTF would order a burger in a place like that?

The Blanco location has Mariachis and/or random trios wander thru on weekends. I would imagine the Embassy Oaks one does as well. I keep threatening to order the Gran Pachanga at lunch with coworkers. It's 12 Modelo beers, three shots of tequila, and from memory, shrimp and oysters, all on a free for all tray brought to your table. Every time we hit the Embassy one for lunch, I want to start drinking and watch soccer/ESPN all afternoon.

The Camarones and Filete a la Veracruzana are really good. So is the Camarones a Mojo de Ajo.
nohandle
AG
Shrimp Tacos
01CivilAg
AG
I work around the corner; a few of us went to lunch there. Just be careful what you order.

The service was crap, even for lunch. I powered through about 1/3 of my seafood enchiladas, and I'm not picky (nor skinny, for proof). Will not go back.

f2foxes2001
AG
ceviche. if you want tex-mex, head elsewhere. #damngood
frankm01
Agree. Civiche is very good as well as fish/ shrimp tacos. We've not tried anything else.
Discovery77
AG
camarones a la diabla is a personal fave. basically grilled shrimp in a red hot sauce covered in cheese.
Since the new location opened, we normally go there. The afternoons on the weekends aren't too packed, less there is a soccer game on. All in all, a good place for ceviche and cold beers on a weekend.
Sniffing Accountant
AG
The shrimp enchiladas are good, and the soups are great. Ceviche is good too. There's one that has a bunch of stuff, like octopus and shrimp and other stuff. I've liked the place every time i've gone.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.