Hotel Alsace in Castroville?

1,388 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by AggieMarkSA
Burdizzo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Going to a wedding in Quihi in a few weeks. Was thinking of lodging in Castroville. Anyone ever stayed there?
Allen76
AG
Can't tell you even though I am from the area. Changes of ownership through the years.... have no idea if folks like the current management.

If you haven't thought about it, check out Landmark Inn... a very old place that is also a tiny TPWD location. They have about 8 rooms..... most of them have a "shared" bathroom with one other room. I think there are two rooms that have their own bathroom. It won't be the most luxurious, but definitely unique, memorable, and historic. It may be hard to get a reservation..... it used to be anyway.

Also, I belong the the Quihi Gun Club and have been to a couple of weddings there. One of them had the groom and groomsmen all in blue denim cowboy tuxedos..... pretty cool I thought.
Burdizzo
AG
I considered Landmark Inn. The rates at the Alsace looked a little better as did the rooms. I like B&Bs and boutique hotels, which is a good thing because there aren't many motels in Medina County.

My cousin's daughter (I guess that would make her my first cousin, once removed) is getting married at the Gun Club. I am really looking forward to it. We live in San Antonio so we could probably drive home that night, but we also have little kids. I didn't really want to drive home that night with little kids and who knows who else on the highway on a Saturday night. Plus I think a boutique hotel or B&B makes it more fun.
aggiejim70
AG
Burdizzo said:

Going to a wedding in Quihi in a few weeks. Was thinking of lodging in Castroville. Anyone ever stayed there?
I'll concede the point that free advice is worth what pay for it, but here it is. The speed limits between Castroville and Hondo are not friendly suggestions. That part of Texas is a very bad place to have two too many and then get pulled over. Watch yourself as you pass the Chevrolet dealership coming in to Castroville.
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
scoodogg
AG
Just stayed there for a wedding. I thought it was overpriced. But I guess it was better than driving back into SA.
Plus I had to watch the A&M v Bama game on a 25" tube TV.
Burdizzo
AG
Spring 2015, my cousin got married in Karnes City. I paid $165 at the brand new Hampton Inn at the height of the Eagle Ford boom. The room at the Hotel Alsace is booked at $140.

Hopefully I won't have to use the TV.
Allen76
AG
Well, the road is convenient. Take FM 4516 (everyone in Castroville calls it "Quihi Road") that begins at your hotel and ends at Quihi. The only hard part is knowing where the dance hall (gun club) is when you get to Quihi, but it is so tiny and there are a couple of signs for Quihi Gun Club.

So, anyway, you never have to get on US-90 to get from your hotel to Quihi. But still have to watch out for the deputies and constables (who do write speeding tickets in this area).
Burdizzo
AG
So we went to the wedding.

Quihi Dancehall is a great piece of Texas culture. I grew up in a community that had a dancehall not unlike this. Unfortunately, it burned down a few years back. You never know what you have until it is gone.

Hotel Alsace was about how I expected based on this thread and other online reviews. It is just OK. It has a nice view and the rooms are OK, if a little dated. It needs some attention to detail such as spraying a little bleach on the balconies to knock back the mildew or getting rid of yellowjacket nests. And being that it is just OK, their rates are high. I have stayed in my share of dumps over the years. This place is not a dump, but it is not worth their rate either.
AggieMarkSA
Its an old Best Western that they "remodeled" into a "spa" some years back. It doesn't live up to the hype. Other than the view from the pool, it's kind of a dump.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.