Wife purchased a puppy from Petland a couple days ago

4,274 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by AggieAndrew12
S.A.Aggie2006
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I know I know, please refrain from judgement. She has rescued 2 other dogs and when she was buying food her heart went out to this particular dog (I know we are perpetuating the system) What is done is done. Of course the little guy has a slight cough and we are taking him to our family vet, not the one recommended by them. I guess I am looking for any Petland success stories to make us feel better about saving this dog.
AggieDarlin
AG
Edited again because you're likely going to need this info:

It's always a good idea to get a second opinion from your family vet. Petland will cover the cost of a vet check and a fecal check at the vet of their choosing, as you know. Aside from Petland's issues, you're going to get good care at the vet clinic they've partnered with. If this puppy is positive for parasites (they all are upon purchase unless they have been treated in the store and properly quarantined), the cost of treatment will be covered. If this puppy has something like kennel cough or some other URI, then they will cover the cost of treatment, too. Some pups can be sent home with meds and recover quickly, and a lot of pups need one or more nebulizations over a series of days. This can add up quickly, so unless you guys don't mind paying, then it's best to have Petland cover the cost of treatment if this is needed. Also, if you have your pet treated elsewhere and you decide to seek reimbursement from Petland, they will not help you.

If you decide to only use your family vet, then be sure to ask for a fecal check. Do not just de-worm. Make sure the fecal check is done. Unless the doc feels otherwise, your pup will likely have to hold off on a set of vaccines until he's healthier, so when you return ~3 weeks later, have another fecal check done whether the pup was positive or negative for the first check!

I would keep this puppy separate from my other two dogs until seen by a vet. Pick up all stool immediately!

Good luck - I hope the pup is a success story! Also, Rule 1 on the puppy.
jschroeder
My only success has been making sure to park on the other side of Golfsmith to make sure the kids don't see the Petland and beg to go in.
S.A.Aggie2006
AG
quote:
My only success has been making sure to park on the other side of Golfsmith to make sure the kids don't see the Petland and beg to go in.

I should have never asked her to come with me to look at a new driver
AggieAndrew12
AG
Can you please let me know how this turned out? I know it's been a few years. But I've just made the same exact mistake. Wife got one too...
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.