We lost a nice building on Main Plaza last night.

2,968 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 12 yr ago by p_bubel
p_bubel
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quote:
Firefighters are still working to put out a massive structure fire that erupted early Saturday morning.

The fire started in the historic Bell building at East Commerce and Main Street around 4:30 a.m. and then spread to a neighboring high rise.

More than 50 units were deployed to put out the fire.

The Bell building was constructed in the 1800’s and formerly housed the Bell Furniture Company. Prominent architect Alfred Giles designed the building. It was transformed into a wedding venue and restaurant.

Paul Carter and Marline Carter-Lawson, the building’s owners, said its destruction is a major loss for San Antonio.

“It’s a very sad day for San Antonio,” said Carter-Lawson. “The Alfred Giles buildings were treasures for the city.”

No one was injured in the blaze.

Read more: http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local_news/article/Historical-fire-2197896.php#ixzz1ZXSeDuvn

MySanAntonio.com

The Bell Building is the two story white stone structure in the background. The entire block went up in flames.

[This message has been edited by p_bubel (edited 10/1/2011 9:19a).]
Obi Wan Ginobili
any word on what cause the blaze?
p_bubel
None that I've read yet.

I kinda wanted to open a Brewpub in this building.
littlemisst08
poblanos!
Picard
AgCat93
AG
Wasn't there a Bill Miller's there years ago?

This fire could have been a LOT worse. The hi-rise next door was the old San Antonio Savings HQ years ago.
AgDev01
AG

quote:
Though the cause of the fire had not been determined, George Woodard, general manager of the barbecue restaurant, said officials told him they suspected the fire started at his restaurant.

“They're saying we” started it, Woodard said. “That's what their thought process is.”

Carter said restaurant staffers were cooking until about 3 a.m.

Standing nearby frazzled as the ruins of the building still smoked, Woodard said his new restaurant had just received its first health inspection Friday, picking up a passing score of 97.

The cooking early Saturday was in preparation for catering jobs later in the day, and Woodard said his night manager said they shut down the same as always.

“It was going to be a big day for us, but not anymore,” Woodard said. “That's my livelihood over there in a pile.”
PLUM LOCO
AG
quote:
I kinda wanted to open a Brewpub in this building.

You are to busy with your current job...
Burdizzo
AG
Bill Miller's is across Main Street. There was a BBQ place (Meat Market BBQ) in the building. IT had been there about 6 months, IIRC. The FD suspects the fire may have started there because the cooks came in about the time the fire started.

Their BBQ was average IMO. Not that it matters anymore.
littlemisst08
I kinda liked Meat Market BBQ. It was a good lunch option close to work.

[This message has been edited by littlemisst08 (edited 10/2/2011 4:27p).]
p_bubel
quote:
You are to busy with your current job...
AgDev01
AG
quote:
Their BBQ was average IMO. Not that it matters anymore.

Sadly enough that was the first thing i wondered when i read that article.
LawHall88
AG
I wasn't crazy about the barbecue place. Too much smoke...
AggieArchitect04
p_bubel

quote:
A four-alarm fire that destroyed a treasured downtown San Antonio landmark early Saturday appeared to have tiptoed around a 30-foot mural painted by a prominent Hill Country landscape artist more than 50 years ago.

The mural, painted in 1957 in the Buckhorn Saloon & Museum's original public location at the Lone Star Brewery south of downtown, served as a backdrop for two stuffed longhorns in a diorama before the museum moved to its current location downtown, Carter said.

Then, Carter's father removed the painting, mounted it on a piece of aluminum from an airplane wing, and eventually relocated it to the ground floor of the Wolfson Building in a space leased most recently by Meat Market Barbecue.

The Carter family, meanwhile, donated the mural to the San Antonio Area Foundation, which gave it to the Witte Museum in 2007, which plans to display it in an expansion slated for completion in 2012, museum officials said.

Amy Fulkerson, curator of collections for the Witte, peeked at the mural Monday through the Wolfson Building's damaged façade.

“It's really remarkable,” she said. “To see what we're seeing through the windows is encouraging.”

MySanAntonio.com
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.