San Antonio, Then and Now (Image heavy)

157,805 Views | 466 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Poot
p_bubel
How long do you want to ignore this user?
That was a very frustrating set to find the information on.
p_bubel
Going to bump this once.
Speedbird087
AG
Was the Ize Box at Austin Hwy and Broadway? Geeze, I know I've sidled up to those coolers many times for a pint-size glass bottle of soda, but all of the sudden drawing a blank.

Great additions to the thread.
Burdizzo
AG
Bubel, would younbe interested in these historic newsletters? A guy where I work has a box of about 150 of them. Asking $50.

p_bubel
Are they photo rich or mostly just articles?
p_bubel
quote:

Was the Ize Box at Austin Hwy and Broadway?

You know, I haven't been able to find an address for the place...yet.

And Google was worthless.
Burdizzo
AG
I will check. Supposedly they were published by cps.
p_bubel
$50, I'm interested.

Thanks.
Burdizzo
AG
I doubt these would interest you. They are some sort of newsletters put out by CPS energy dating back to the 1940s. The covers have a big photo of a landmark, a CPs project, or some cps group. Inside is 8-10 pages of announcements and short articles. Not very picture intensive .
p_bubel
Thanks for the effort though.
lch76
AG
Thanks! Love OP,pictures and everyone's comments. Lots of memories.

quote:
Love this thread. My dad will still drive us around and give us history lessons of San Antonio, mostly from a construction standpoint.

My kids will tell anyone who will listen, that I damaged them psychologically giving them these same history lessons/tours.

Edit for spelling. I only gave history lessons.

[This message has been edited by lch76 (edited 7/1/2014 7:46p).]
gdillsags
George Dill here - first time poster and much older after having enjoyed 13 pages of this thread.

A few of the "Then" (before) pics were taken AFTER I ravaged those places as a kid.

In my era downtown San Antonio, Texas, was muchly neglected during the WWII effort.

Come this October I will be in SA for my first FIL's 99th birthday. Old Orville Keilman was nephew to Wild Bill Keilman who managed the Blue Book and was involved in the original Horn Palace on the (Old) Corpus Christi Road.

George Dill
WBBQ74
AG
The infamous 'Blue Book'?

Now, PDFs of THAT online would be interesting to see.......

SWCBonfire
AG
My grandmother worked for E.O. Goldbeck, who took a ton of photos of San Antonio back in the day. So far, my mother has some pics of the Alamo (probably in the early 30's) and pics of the sunken gardens when they were the Japanese tea gardens. I think they split up the photos among siblings, so I'll see if I can find more from aunts/uncles.

Love the thread.
p_bubel
quote:
In my era downtown San Antonio, Texas, was muchly neglected during the WWII effort.

Come this October I will be in SA for my first FIL's 99th birthday. Old Orville Keilman was nephew to Wild Bill Keilman who managed the Blue Book and was involved in the original Horn Palace on the (Old) Corpus Christi Road.

George Dill

Awesome, thanks for posting! The Blue Book of San Antonio is a pretty awesome resource and read.

quote:
My grandmother worked for E.O. Goldbeck, who took a ton of photos of San Antonio back in the day.

I grew up with one of the grand-nephews. (I think, don't really remember the exact family tree.
gdillsags
quote...

-----------------------
The infamous 'Blue Book'?

Now, PDFs of THAT online would be interesting to see.......

-----------------
http://sanantoniobluebook.weebly.com/

More on the Blue Book?

Or would that be thread jacking?

George Dill

[This message has been edited by gdillsags (edited 7/18/2014 9:49p).]

[This message has been edited by gdillsags (edited 7/18/2014 9:51p).]
p_bubel
quote:
More on the Blue Book?

Or would that be thread jacking?

Post away!
p_bubel
Been a while, work and all that...

Originally built on the Alamo grounds, this structure and the subsequent structures that followed (A tire shop and garage) were demolished to reclaim part of the original battle ground.
p_bubel

After founding a chain of restaurants in San Antonio in 1933, Earl Abel decided to close most of his restaurants due to labor shortages during World War II, leaving the remaining location at the corner of Broadway and Hildebrand Avenue as a landmark on a portion of the city's inner northside, now the city's Midtown District. One of the things that distinguished the restaurant was the series of signs above the lunch counter that read "Eating here keeps Earl Able," "It was a
brave man who ate the first oyster," "Seeville dardaygo tousandbuses inarow. Nojodemtrux, summitcows ansummitdux," and "Eat here and diet home." The end came for the restaurant's long-time Broadway location in 2005 when Earl's son, Jerry, decided to sell the property to Koontz McCombs, a San Antonio development firm, so it could build high-rise condominiums. Jerry Abel was quoted in the San Antonio Express-News regarding the restaurant property's sale saying that everything just came together perfectly; the building was old and he did not wish to continue running the restaurant in his old
age, so he sold out. The original restaurant closed its doors for good in March 2006.

In late 2006, Earl Abel's re-opened under new ownership at a new San Antonio location on Austin Highway at Seidel Road. The restaurant still has the same menu, although much of the staff is different
p_bubel

A drawing of the 1882 Bexar County courthouse in a display case at the courthouse. The caption next to it said it was a drawing of the
old courthouse, but didn't give a year, so I am assuming it is the 1882
courthouse. According to Sylvia Ann Santos of the Bexar County
Historical Commission the 1882 courthouse was an Alfred Giles remodeling
of the Masonic Building on Soledad Street. This building replaced by the current courthouse in 1892

p_bubel

Carl Harnisch House, Built 1884. The house suffered a huge fire in 1999 just after a complete remodel leaving only the
exterior walls. The house was rebuilt and awarded by the San Antonio
Conservation Society.

p_bubel

River Crossing, Breckenridge Park. 1915
p_bubel
I ran across a huge pile of new online residential photos from the early 20th courtesy of the British Library of all places, and while spending a little bit researchng the first house tonight I ran across this great map of French St and all the homes lost over the years.

A link to the larger versions should be here.
AggieDarlin
AG
Earl Abel's used to be a meeting point for family get-togethers throughout the years. Sucks that it's gone.

Love the other pics. I tried to zoom in on the last post, but no luck
p_bubel
Yeah, Flickr's new interface and way they link stuff effin blows. Combined with some weird **** that TexAgs now requires and it's a pain to get right.

I'll see if I can fix it.

I got a ton of homes from the British Library so I hope to have some of those soon. Mostly early 20th from Monte Vista, Alamo Heights, Los Angeles Heights and Highland Park.
Speedbird087
AG
BlackLab
AG
Pretty interesting slide show:

http://www.mysanantonio.com/150years/article/Here-are-the-oldest-historic-structures-in-the-6078103.php
p_bubel
Thanks Black Lab, it's much appreciated.
p_bubel
A curiosity if you're ever around the St Marys University area:

A 1755 Virginia cabin.

I need to get working on these before and afters again.
gdillsags
401 King William Street (Villa Finale) then (1916)...

http://i913.photobucket.com/albums/ac332/gdillpb1/Keilman401King%20William1916.jpg

...and now (2015)...

http://i913.photobucket.com/albums/ac332/gdillpb1/Keilman401KingWilliam2015.jpg

This is the "house" owned by Wild Bill Keilman during Prohibition. He and his wife added this establishment to the "Blue Book" list of "entertainment activities".

In 1966 Orville Keilman (Bill's nephew and my first FiL) and I visited this then-vacant and neglected property and made off with all sorts of "collectable" goodies. The place sold the following year and was brought back to life.

Sadly, Ol' Orville crossed the Great Divide a few months prior to his 99th birthday.

George Dill
AggieDarlin
AG
Thank you for reviving this thread. p_bubel has been slacking
p_bubel
No ****.
tbirdspur2010
AG
If I haven't posted itt before, I just want to say that this thread is a freaking treasure trove.
Burdizzo
AG

My great aunt passed away in December 1984. The dairy that she owned along with her husband was
located in Niederwald. I was doing some family research this afternoon and was going through a packet of stuff from 1985 that included her will and estate settlement. Included were various maps of proposed projects in the area including this one of a proposed "Austin-San Antonio Parkway". This appears to be a
preliminary alignment for SH 130.
p_bubel

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.