San Antonio, Then and Now (Image heavy)

157,827 Views | 466 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Poot
who?mikejones
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thanks for looking. I can tell you it looks nothing like it used to, that is for sure.
Speedbird087
AG
p_bubel
Speedbird, did that photo of Labor St get deleted?
I think I missed it, but it's been so long I don't remember.

Anyway, I think I'm back in business.
p_bubel
Aztec Theater (2004)

Built in 1926, the Aztec Theatre is a notable example of the impressive exotic-theme motion picture palaces constructed in the United States during the economic boom of the 1920s.

The Aztec was designed by the firm of Meyer &
Holler, the same firm that designed the Mann's Chinese Theatre in Los Angeles.

[/url]

[This message has been edited by p_bubel (edited 4/5/2014 11:12a).]
p_bubel
San Antonio's first Pig Stand (1929)

In 1921 the Pig Stand, the first drive through restaurant, made its debut in Dallas, with its tasty Pig Sandwiches that remain a favorite today. It was also during this time that young men, in an effort to serve all customers and avoid traffic jams, would jump on the running boards of cars, take the food orders and return as soon as possible with the meal. Thus, the term "carhop" originated.

[/url]
p_bubel
Terrell Castle (1900)

Terrell Castle was built in 1894 as the residence of Edwin Holland Terrell who served as Ambassador to Belgium during the presidency of Benjamin Harrison in the early 1890s. Mr Terrell liked the castles and chateaus in Belgium and France. Upon his return to Texas, he commissioned the architect, Alfred Giles, to design his castle like those castles in Europe.

The Terrell family lived in the castle until Edwins death in 1908. It has had several owners since then, and has been operating as a bed and breakfast since 1986.

[/url]

[This message has been edited by p_bubel (edited 4/5/2014 11:17a).]
AggieDarlin
AG
Special request: Can you find some info and/or pictures about the hoods around 36th street? I would prefer pics so I can determine if these homes were ever once quaint little structures instead of sheisty-ass, cracked-out drug dealer factories.
p_bubel
Are you talking about up around St Mary's or south of 90?

The area around and Hwy 90 used to be the Belgium section of town. Mostly truck farms that would sell their produce off Commerce St just west of downtown.

Most of the development in that area over the decades has always been low-cost and poor. Most of the images I do have from the west side tend to either be farms or shacks around Alazan Creek.
p_bubel
Most traces of the farms have long since been obliterated, but some places are still there if you look around.

Cupples Rd

Brady & Hwy 90

Those are just a couple that I've noticed doing work down there.

[This message has been edited by p_bubel (edited 4/20/2014 1:24p).]
AggieDarlin
AG
I'm talking about 36th street at hwy 90, just before 151. That's interesting. I guess the area will always be downtrodden
AggieDarlin
AG
Found these on a citydata thread. I don't think they've been posted:

North Star Mall in 1963:

Fredericksburg Drive-In theater (i-10 would later be in the background)

I LOVE THESE OLD PICTURES

p_bubel
p_bubel
I've been trying to locate some old aerial photos of the airport area, I'm looking for some help with what used to be Coker, TX and building or two.

In the meantime, ran across this tonight:

while trying to locate this:

This first one I have narrowed down to a certain area, but pinpointing the exact address has eluded me so far. It's an interesting story, that one.

The second, I think might have actually been off Broadway... I had been searching the property along NW Military and Lockhill-Selma.
AggieDarlin
AG
quote:
It's an interesting story, that one.

AggieDarlin
AG
I can see if my grandmother has any knowledge of the above.

You may have some interest in the following threads. I have not yet gone through every page:

www.city-data.com/forum/san-antonio/27062-gone-but-not-forgotten-san-antonio.html

www.city-data.com/forum/san-antonio/604076-gone-but-not-forgotten-san-antonio.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/san-antonio/155788-gone-but-not-forgotten-san-antonio.html

Maybe some of these folks can help you fill in blanks. But I understand if the investigative work is too fun without easy answers.

p_bubel
I've gone through some of those threads, but not all. I've been meaning to start and account there, but have not yet.

Thanks Darlin!
mike073
AG

The West end of North Star Mall was an HEB store. The East end eventually became the first dual cinema in the state - Cinema I @ II. Two theaters with a common lobby. Unheard of!

This photo shows an unfinished Frost Brothers at the East end before completion.

As I recall, also, there was a gas station on the corner of the property at McCullough and Rector. It stayed there even as the parking lot was build around and over it. Of course it is closed now.

Gig 'em Aggies!

Speedbird087
AG
I remember that station in the parking garage. I think it was a Texaco.

Here's the Labor street photo that i had deleted previously.

[This message has been edited by Speedbird087 (edited 4/23/2014 5:56p).]
rwtxag83
AG
You can also see Aggie Park in that photo of NS Mall.

What is the big building to the south of the mall? Looks like a school.
Speedbird087
AG
The "L" shaped buildings are apartments. Amazingly enough, all are still existent on the current Google aerial.
AggieDarlin
AG
While there is a school down the road, I'm pretty sure those buildings are the apartments that are still there today. They're just terribly trashy.
p_bubel
Awesome Speedbird, thank you very much.

Good news, I found the first house I posted above.
Speedbird087
AG
http://blog.mysanantonio.com/downtown/2014/04/book-illustrates-san-antonio-when-plazas-saloons-ruled/#22716101=15

A book that is featured on the front page of mysa.com. Looks interesting.

p_bubel
AggieDarlin
AG
Thank you for posting that, speedbird. I could look at this stuff all day

quote:
Good news, I found the first house I posted above.

Are we supposed to beg for more information or does that mean, "Hold for a while until I get can a current picture of the area?"

[This message has been edited by AggieDarlin (edited 4/24/2014 7:29p).]
p_bubel
I was going to take the photo on Sunday. Hopefully.

Here's a little about the house:

quote:
At the peak of their fame, the Hilton twins — Violet and Daisy — were young and beautiful, with long, curly hair and sultry eyes. They danced, sang and played the saxophone.

In the 1920s and 1930s, the Siamese twins were among the highest paid and most popular vaudeville performers, traveling the world and meeting the rich and famous.

Brought to San Antonio from Brighton, England, where they were born in 1906 or in 1908 - accounts vary - they lived with a guardian in a mansion on Vance Jackson Road. They never knew their mother, who either abandoned them or sold them. Newspaper accounts tell their story, as does a permanent exhibit of the twins at the Hertzberg Circus Museum in downtown San Antonio.

The house is on Vance Jackson about two blocks north of Fredericksburg Rd. The brick fence is still there.

[This message has been edited by p_bubel (edited 4/24/2014 8:48p).]
AggieDarlin
AG
That's creeptastic in the best way. And I never knew that San Antonio has a circus museum
p_bubel
I believe the Hertzberg Circus Museum either closed or moved. The building, the old main library, is now the Briscoe Art Museum on Market.
AggieDarlin
AG
p_bubel
quote:
In 2001 the Hertzberg Circus Collection and Museum in San Antonio, Texas closed. It had been in the old library building on Market Street since 1968 when the San Antonio Public Library moved to a new site. By 2001 the old building was in poor condition and the collection -- books, documents and memorabilia -- was in serious danger. It is now secure and is part of San Antonio's Witte Museum.

In his will Harry Hertzberg indicated that the Witte Museum would receive the collection should the City of San Antonio be unable to retain the collection. It was transferred to the Witte Museum in 2003.

From fall 2009 through winter 2010 the Witte presented an exhibition titled, "Circus Folks: Secrets Behind the Big Top.". In the exhibition catalog a biographical sketch of Harry Hertzberg closed with this: "The Hertzberg Circus Collection is now one of the largest and most impressive collections of circus art and artifacts in the world."

Recently I contacted Amy Fulkerson, Collections Manager at the Witte. I asked why the Hertzberg collection isn't included in the museum's website. She told me, "We are currently redesigning the collections portion of our website. In the near future we will have a more comprehensive overview of all of the Witte's collections, including the Hertzberg Circus Collection, along with images."

The recently launched Phase I of the Witte's Master Plan includes the Witte Research Center. The Research Center will include visible storage and publically accessible research spaces with a special area dedicated to the circus collection.

The Collection
AggieDarlin
AG
Of course it would be started by a lawyer and I bet he was a real freak behind closed doors. That's got to be a hell of a collection, though, and worth checking out once available. Thanks for the info!

Also, I've got to say that I miss the old library and I've never liked that enchilada red abortion. Growing up, my grandparents would take me into town to the library and we'd check out a load of books. My grandmother would also check out some very old-timey records to listen to. I can still remember the smell of that place.

[This message has been edited by AggieDarlin (edited 4/24/2014 11:57p).]
slappy
AG
quote:
The house is on Vance Jackson about two blocks north of Fredericksburg Rd. The brick fence is still there.

If it's the one I'm thinking about, I think it's a law office. Had a mediation in there. Hugo something rather...
p_bubel
Across the street from that place, yes.
(I took the photo today after an inspection)
p_bubel
And I finally found the boyscout home. It made it till at least 1969 before being torn down.
AggieDarlin
AG
That's what you get for taking your sweet time

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.