Office conversion estimate - seems high??

1,626 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by aggiepaintrain
Cloud
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Looking to enclose a dining room by adding a wall and 36" glass french doors. Wall length to enclose is 12ft and 9ft ceiling. Paint to match.

$6.4k for this seems insane to me, or am I out of touch? Located in pearland.
redaszag99
Get Nelson Kuchinski to quote it

+1 (281) 678-5162
AgLA06
AG
Any particular city?
evan_aggie
AG
The issue is that often 1 person doesn't do all the work, so they subcontract 2 other people.

French doors can be $1000.

The drywall, texture, paint could be the portion that is pricey?
Rexter
That's cheap. I've got a water damage claim that encompasses 1400' of flooring, base cabinets in 3 bathrooms, baseboards throughout, and some Sheetrock in the foyer. Least expensive estimate has been $60,000.
2girlsdad
Yea, that's obscene! Maybe not in terms of the market right now, but that's a simple diy project. Heck, do all and then hire someone to float the drywall if you aren't capable (that does seem like an art!).
evestor1
My assumption is that the doors are at least 2k of that number.

what i'd expect someone to charge with normal profit.

framing - 1k
door - 2k
trim - 500
paint - 1k
~4500 all in

that is what i'd assume without knowing your project.
Roger That
AG
Are you adding an outlet or two along the new wall as well?
tgivaughn
AG
TWO of these
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Pella/5013817227
but curtains are so pricy these days, any savings would come from being home-made.
IMHO and am sticking to it
Diggity
AG
not sure if noise proofing is a huge deal to you, but we converted my old dining room to a home office and went with sliding doors. I didn't want to lose the limited light we have to that part of the house by adding a permanent wall.

Might be something to think about depending on the look you're going for.

my floor to celling height was lower because they kept part of the old wall when they opened up the room, but length was about the same. I think it came out to around $5K installed.

Our setup is similar to this but they have a ton of options:

https://www.slidingdoorco.com/residential/
southernskies
Yeah that's insane. You could DIY for $500 above whatever the doors cost you.
southernskies
For perspective, I am floating about about 2500SF of drywall to level 5 finish over existing texture, reframing two closets + drywall, restructing electrical for relocated outlets, switches, and lighting, adding a pony wall, about 200LF of baseboards, move an existing door 6' over within a wall, 3 new door frames, new recessed lighting, new paint for sub $2k.

Never gave anyone a chance to quote it but I would guestimate the cheapest number I would get back would be $30k. It's insane how much money you can save DIY. Granted it is a LOT of work, but also saving bigly here. Oh also add in all of the demo I've done for carpet, walls, framing.
evan_aggie
AG
Level5.... isn't that tricky? I've done some drywall skimming but definitely not easy nor professional.
southernskies
36" skim blade makes it a lot easier. You can sand out your imperfections until you get it perfect also. May take an extra coat or two until you get the hang of it.
ForeverAg
AG
Diggity said:

not sure if noise proofing is a huge deal to you, but we converted my old dining room to a home office and went with sliding doors. I didn't want to lose the limited light we have to that part of the house by adding a permanent wall.

Might be something to think about depending on the look you're going for.

my floor to celling height was lower because they kept part of the old wall when they opened up the room, but length was about the same. I think it came out to around $5K installed.

Our setup is similar to this but they have a ton of options:

https://www.slidingdoorco.com/residential/

We are looking to do exactly this!
aggiepaintrain
AG
I paid $6k for exact same thing but we also added a custom wall unit with a built in desk.

Other bids were 2-3x.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.