Home security system recommendations

1,683 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by EnviroAg96
NC2001
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Currently I have ADT as my home security system provider. I'm looking for a better option, and I was wondering what other homeowners recommend.
SJEAg
AG
Smith Thompson is often recommended if you're looking for cheap and basic (and in Houston, SA, or Dallas). I've used them for years and they haven't ever made me upset - and they're contract free which is a huge plus with these companies.

That plus a simple Nest cam setup works for me.
htxag09
AG
NC2001 said:

Currently I have ADT as my home security system provider. I'm looking for a better option, and I was wondering what other homeowners recommend.

Define better….
Firefighter7
I have 6 arlo cameras and 5 wired cameras and alarm monitoring through Advanced Security Concepts. They are a local family-owned business and I pay $33.55/month for monitoring. Anytime I get an alarm or power outage, they call immediately, no complaints. Ms. Carla is very responsive to any billing issues, and technician is prompt and even came out on a Sunday evening when I had an electrical lighting strike issue.
NC2001
AG
htxag09 said:

NC2001 said:

Define better….

Definitely cheaper. Last bill I received was $129/month. More than triple what I used to pay. I'd like to have cameras installed if the price is right.
htxag09
AG
Ok. Well even for adt that's crazy. I'd assume if you call them, or any comparable company it'll be around $50/month.

As said, smith Thompson is the generally accepted and recommended cheaper option. But that's generally for a bare bones system. You won't the upgrades and the price goes up to be comparable to the above.

Other option is Simplisafe, Arlo, ring, etc do it yourself options. Pay for the equipment up front but will be more like $20/month.

Just stay away from vivint
NC2001
AG
Vivent is out of the question. I've read all the bad reviews.
tgivaughn
AG
Not to be funny but reports to me indicate
Outside dog dobermann & motion floods & alarms stickers & NRA posts & holly under windows
Inside dog dachshund & home defense arms & sirens & strobe flashlights & 911 on speed dial & bedroom SC doors with deadbolts & sheriff inspected secure fenetrations ... that used to reduce home insurance once installed

IMHO and am sticking to it
KDubAg
AG
I've had Smith Thompson and was pleased with them. They may be able to use your existing hardware from ADT minus keypad and datalink or whatever the 5G box is called.

We moved to different house and currently use SimpliSafe. I like them as well, especially since I can add sensors/hardware myself and connect. It's all wireless, including the keypads. They have wireless smoke detectors that are monitored and separate panic button alarms too for the wife and kids at their bedside that are monitored.
EnviroAg96
AG
Ring. Do it yourself, $100 a year for monitoring. So many integrating products also: smoke alarms, door locks, cameras, water /freeze sensors, security lighting, etc. integrates with Amazon Alexa if you want to geek out on automation. They are also coming out with a mobile camera / dashcam / security product for vehicles also.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.