New Yankee Workshop

3,822 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by P.H. Dexippus
Sponge
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
New Yankee Workshop is now officially on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/@newyankeeworkshop/videos

mernaggie12
AG
Watched this and This Old House every Saturday morning.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Aggietaco
AG
mernaggie12 said:

F yeah. Still watch TOH on regular basis thanks to the streaming Roku channel and Samsung channel.

Glad Norm has the Youtubes now so I can add that to the list.
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
For someone who doesn't know what this means, please fill that individual in.
Sponge
AG
Norm Abrams is a carpenter and wood worker. He was first on This Old House as the carpentry guy but spun off to do his own show called New Yankee Workshop. Each episode was building a different project from scratch. Made a lot of different pieces of furniture in a very accessible way for anyone with a table saw at home to do (jointer and planer help).
He did this for 25 or so years. You could get the full DVD set but it was expensive. Some people put up really bad quality episodes on YT. But now they are putting all the episodes on YT.
Texker
AG
mernaggie12 said:

As did I. Craftsmanship.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
I liked TOH better with (1) Norm, (2) original theme song, and (3) better before the emphasis on everything not home remodeling. That said, the current series that is airing has been interesting so far.
CapCity12thMan
AG
you can just smell the wood
AgLA06
AG

Jack Squat 83
AG
It's Norm's fault I have so many tools. Darn it.
Pretty sure most of you don’t know me.
Bonfire97
AG
Man, I have been a TOH fan since I was a kid. Tom Silva is a genius. I have learned so many shortcut tricks from him over the years.
mernaggie12
AG
Tom Silva's way of quickly measuring something and breaking down fractions should be taught to elementary students.

Always loved Richard Trethewey breaking down HVAC Zane plumbing too.

My dream is to buy and redo a house on TOH.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Bonfire97 said:

Man, I have been a TOH fan since I was a kid. Tom Silva is a genius. I have learned so many shortcut tricks from him over the years.
First appearance. He looks a bit younger...
Chipotlemonger
AG
Saw a guy in a Portland, ME coffee shop in 2019 that I swore was Tom Silva. Don't think it was though. /CSB
Aggietaco
AG
While we're sharing, have a friend named Tom Silva. Not the same guy.
Bregxit
AG
Quote:

Before we get started I'd like to take a moment to talk about shop safety. Be sure to read, understand and follow all the safety rules that come with your power tools. Knowing how to use your power tools PROPERLY will greatly reduce the risk of personal injury. And remember this. There is no other more important safety rule than to wear THESE... safety glasses...

...and also HEARING protection when necessary.
Sponge
AG
Measure once, cut once, say "*****", repeat...
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Sponge said:

Norm Abrams is a carpenter and wood worker. He was first on This Old House as the carpentry guy but spun off to do his own show called New Yankee Workshop. Each episode was building a different project from scratch. Made a lot of different pieces of furniture in a very accessible way for anyone with a table saw at home to do (jointer and planer help).
He did this for 25 or so years. You could get the full DVD set but it was expensive. Some people put up really bad quality episodes on YT. But now they are putting all the episodes on YT.

Not to nit pick but he wasn't originally just "a carpentry guy…." he was the main contractor. He ran the entire crew on the original seasons, how Tom does more recently. He later morphed into the more precise carpentry projects on TOH
Red Pear Luke (BCS)
Sponsor
AG
My grandfather was a crusty old Air Force Pilot who retired at 44 years old to spend the next 43 years of his life doing two things - 1. playing a ****ton of Golf and 2. ****ton of woodworking.

I remember being a little fart in the 90s watching this show and TOH with him on Saturday afternoons. I always loved New Yankee a bit more cause it applied to my grandpa's scope of woodworking vs remodeling. But I loved both of the shows cause it meant that Golf wasn't on the TV.

If I'm up having trouble sleeping at night - it's my dogs and me on the couch crushing old episodes of TOH and NYW. Just helps bring back a bit of my comforting memories of time spent with him.
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
Pinochet
I think because of Norm we all know that there is no more important safety rule than to wear these… safety glasses.
BrazosDog02
AG
I loved watching Norm as a young kid growing up. I used to like telling my dad "man, he does nice work." My fathers standard response was, "yeah, I guess so. It should be nice. He's got 100,000 dollars of tools in his shop."

My grandfather was a cabinetmaker and built Custom cabinets in river oaks. He was a tradesman.…for homes he'd never have a prayer of living in, and he did it with absolute basics.

I think my dad saw a lot of struggle annd always felt like it was easy to do good work when you have every tool you could need to do it. I agree with him, although I also think Norm is quite skilled too.
Spaceship
AG
I'm the world's biggest TOH fan and probably have seen 90-95% of their episodes since it's inception in 1979 (either reruns or live). It's so interesting and relaxing to watch.

I used to watch The New Yankee Workshop religiously too. Funny story - as a kid, my parents sent him a letter asking for an autographed photo. It was around Christmas time and seemed obviously they were asking about it as a gift. I guess he received the request a bit early though and sent back a signed photo that reads "Happy Thanksgiving! - Norm". The first and only Thanksgiving gift I've ever received and still have it in my garage to this day.
Bonfire97
AG
Quote:

Tom Silva's way of quickly measuring something and breaking down fractions should be taught to elementary students.
I completely agree with that. I am not sure most kids these days could even read a tape measure.
rednecked
AG
Red Pear BCS Luke said:

My grandfather was a crusty old Air Force Pilot who retired at 44 years old to spend the next 43 years of his life doing two things - 1. playing a ****ton of Golf and 2. ****ton of woodworking.

I remember being a little fart in the 90s watching this show and TOH with him on Saturday afternoons. I always loved New Yankee a bit more cause it applied to my grandpa's scope of woodworking vs remodeling. But I loved both of the shows cause it meant that Golf wasn't on the TV.

If I'm up having trouble sleeping at night - it's my dogs and me on the couch crushing old episodes of TOH and NYW. Just helps bring back a bit of my comforting memories of time spent with him.
s - 1. playing a ****ton of Golf and 2. ****ton of woodworking.

didn't get to retire at 46 but this is my plan!

boredatwork08
AG
Bonfire97 said:

I completely agree with that. I am not sure most kids these days could even read a tape measure.

It's a failure of the preceding generations to teach the "kids these days" all of the knowledge and skills we take for granted.
one MEEN Ag
AG
BrazosDog02 said:

I loved watching Norm as a young kid growing up. I used to like telling my dad "man, he does nice work." My fathers standard response was, "yeah, I guess so. It should be nice. He's got 100,000 dollars of tools in his shop."

My grandfather was a cabinetmaker and built Custom cabinets in river oaks. He was a tradesman.…for homes he'd never have a prayer of living in, and he did it with absolute basics.

I think my dad saw a lot of struggle annd always felt like it was easy to do good work when you have every tool you could need to do it. I agree with him, although I also think Norm is quite skilled too.
Your grandfather could have probably benefitted from better tools, but 95% of people who claim to be woodworkers cant do what Norm does as consistently and quickly as he does. As a sidenote, I couldn't imagine trying to buy precision woodworking equipment back then. I'm sure just eye watering prices for everything, even more so than today.

Pinochet
I caught the Norm tribute on the Roku channel (probably also available on the TOH website). Well worth an hour of your time.
ChipFTAC01
AG
TOH used to be must see TV at my folks' house and for my wife and I until a few years ago. It was getting harder to find and they did a season that I had little interest in the house and it fell off the radar.

But that whole crew is the best.
Caesar4
AG
I used to enjoy watching The Woodwright's Shop along with New Yankee. Those guy's skills and knowledge were captivating to watch.
nai06
AG
Eoin Reardon is someone I follow that's in a similar vein. He's a young Irish guy who does lots of small wood working projects, restores tools, planing, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/@EoinReardon

He is also on TikTok
https://www.tiktok.com/@pintofplane
BrazosDog02
AG
one MEEN Ag said:

BrazosDog02 said:

Your grandfather could have probably benefitted from better tools, but 95% of people who claim to be woodworkers cant do what Norm does as consistently and quickly as he does. As a sidenote, I couldn't imagine trying to buy precision woodworking equipment back then. I'm sure just eye watering prices for everything, even more so than today.

It's like anything else. The right tools make the job immensely easier but they don't replace skill completely. You still need to know hay you're doing. The only tools I have left for my grandfather are craftsman table saw, brace and bits, lots of chisels, and an old craftsman jointer. I think his brothers had other tools and together they just got the job done. We have a few pieces of furniture that are amazing for the tools I see in the barn.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
How many $$$$$ in Festool product does Tom have in his workshop?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.