need thermostats replaced

1,232 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by rlb28
warrington
How long do you want to ignore this user?
any recommendations for a service company for replacing 2 thermostats.

any idea of the cost for replacing them.

thanks for your help
m-walker
AG
If you're not comfortable doing it yourself, pretty sure any HVAC company can knock that out for you in an hour of labor.
warrington
is it difficult to replace. just watched a youtube video on it. Looked pretty straight forward. Its a 25 year old thermostat so going to go back in with a simple one
m-walker
AG
Just kill the breaker so you don't blow a capacitor. Most of them come with little letter stickers to label the wires. Pretty easy DIY task.
aTm2004
AG
It's very simple to do. When you remove the current one, take pics for the wires and how they're connected. Then just connect them to the new one and mount to the wall. You can have it done before you wife decides which shoes to wear to the grocery store.
warrington
thank you all.
Ill try it this weekend.
Hoyt Ag
AG
thread hijack

I have 4 of these in my house for the heater (Live in CO and no AC)

Vintage units currently in home

I tried replacing them with HoneyWell 1000 heat only units, but the furnace would never kick on. My wiring is a red, white and blue wire. On the new unit, it had ports for each wire. When I insert each wire into correct slot, the unit would just cycle through F and C degree temps in the room and furnace would never kick on. When I removed the optional blue wire, the thermostat worked as normal, but the furnace would not kick on. I have 4 of the vintage units in the house and the same result happened when I tried any of the new units I purchased. No tripped breakers, when old unit was reinstalled all worked fine, new batteries in new units,

Just wondering if anyone has any bright ideas on if the new units I bought (were recommended to me by a friend that does HVAC a few hours away) are not compatible or what may be the issue.
Aggieangler93
AG
Did you check the manual? Many of the electronic thermostats have some sort of exception to the wiring to support a heat pump. I cannot recall what it was exactly last time I did it.
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
Hoyt Ag
AG
I've tried it all. I'm clueless.
TexAg1987
Red to R
White to W

Blue to C ?

Is my guess without seeing it
ukbb2003
warrington said:

any recommendations for a service company for replacing 2 thermostats.

any idea of the cost for replacing them.

thanks for your help

Are they both in the same house? If in the same house, are there 2 systems or 1?
AgLiving06
m-walker said:

Just kill the breaker so you don't blow a capacitor. Most of them come with little letter stickers to label the wires. Pretty easy DIY task.

It gets a lot more expensive if you miss this step and have to call an HVAC guy on the weekend.
jt2hunt
AG
Take pictures and post them here we can probably help you
rlb28
AG
My AC guy charged $150 to put in 2 Nest thermostats. I'm a non-DIY guy and it was worth it.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.