Need a house designed

1,771 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by sbyrne1016
rather be fishing
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We're getting ready to build on our place in Montana. I was originally planning on finding a builder that did design, but I haven't found a local builder I want to use that does their own designing. We are very remote.

So I need to get a house design to provide to a builder. Any recommendations for how to go about this? I've talked to a couple of architecture places in Missoula and they told me to go with a builder/designer unless I'm planning on the new build being over $1MM (won't be anywhere near that).
schwack schwack
AG
Have you searched for mountain cabin plans or similar wording? There are a lot of companies that sell customizable plans.

We have some friends that bought a Southern Living set of plans that turned out amazing & their builder had no issues.

tgivaughn
AG
So sorry for you & very surprised to learn that that area has such little demand to support residential architects ... only commercial firms it seems. That said, it's the former you want and not the latter and the reason not just specialize experience. What they say - if commercial architect firms - is true .... been there, done that. You would need a residential lover architect firm of only 1-4 designers and none "cutting their teeth" on your project; all licensed working on your proejct is ideal.
Your sequence of searches would be
1. small architect firms, residential specialty https://ebizws.mt.gov/PUBLICPORTAL/searchform?mylist=licenses
2. from residences you find & love, their Owners can point you to the designer
3. internet plans can be modified to somewhat suit BUT not really tailored to your lifestyle, no Site Plan, no aproporiate Foundation Plan, no IQ discussion/guidance
FYI: eventually all these options should cost about the same; by-the-hour also costs about the same as by-the-SF quotes and you get more plans/services on point with your goals.

This firm cannot produce work in other states but willing to look over your shoulder - gratis - for awhile, just to insure you get on the correct path.

4. Looking back at the Design-Build option if it becomes the only path:
PROS
If similar to other plans built, your costs are more known up front and can guide the design/modifications.
You project gets ahead in line of other work.
CONS
Designs have been very very limited and not so much catering to your lifestyle
Depending on the builder, your tweaks, options, choices become harnessed to whatever the builder claims they cost; best to stick to builder assembly line choices
Inability to solicit bids, even though low-bidders are not always a wise choice this process can reveal flaws to avoid, e.g. too busy, too many spec.houses that also diverts attention, high bids that suggest disinterest or a risk seen overrated, etc.

I think I have listed these design options in order of limitations.
The fewer limitations, the longer Owners love & remain in their houses and if forced to sell, usually get "asking price".
IMHO and am sticking to it
Moe Jzyslak
AG

You're welcome. Go ahead an PM me, I'll give you my Venmo.
TxAgg07
AG
Have you looked at online companies that have stock plans? Many of them will make adjustments to their plans. Look up Architectural Designs. @ADHouseplans on Instagram. There's others like them too out there.
rather be fishing
AG
Started browsing one of those websites that says they have 40,000 designs to choose from. Will spend some more time looking into that option. So far I haven't seen anything that really fits the layout we're hoping for.
tgivaughn
AG
Google my email & let's see how much I can help this effort or find those that can.
Your plight is a common one brought to me.
Most internet plans can be old, out of CODE, spec.house, special lot driven.
IMHO and am sticking to it
bobbunker
Are you in the Missoula area? If not where abouts are you.
TexAggee05
AG
Pipkin Architecture
Local to DFW, but has designed stuff all over.
PabloSerna
AG
Suggest a Pre-Fab design that can be erected at the site if really remote. There are quite a few outfits that handle this. I know Lake Flato Architects, one of the top firms, has an outlet for their clients that have land in the boonies. Good luck

rather be fishing
AG
bobbunker said:

Are you in the Missoula area? If not where abouts are you.

About 20 miles south of Troy.

Planning to talk to a local builder that does do design in the next week or so. Concerned he might be high on build cost, but it's a start.
sbyrne1016
Howdy! I'd be happy to help you out with your house design. You can find more info and a couple past projects on my Houzz page...

https://www.houzz.com/professionals/building-designers-and-drafters/byrne-haus-custom-home-design-pfvwus-pf~344409965

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.