Selling solar panels?

2,619 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Jason_InfinityRoofer
Jason_InfinityRoofer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I have a customer whom I have removed their panels from the roof. The do not want to reinstall and are going to toss them. The system doesn't work due to some issue with a component on the electrical side. The panels are good. I have the rails and the black boxes that plug into each panel. It was professionally removed.

If I take them, do they have any resale value? Again, the owner wants them gone and they have no interest in selling. But I do.

But…are worth anything?

From what we've seen, it's cheaper to buy a new system with rebates than to fix the old so I don't know. I would have 19 panels to sell. Any legal issues?

Can I use them to power a capacitor array and build a Tesla coil like in red alert? They have to have some useful purpose other than the trash.
ABATTBQ11
AG
I'm not interested in buying, but I'm sure someone looking to self install might be. You could look at off grid forums and see if someone there might be interested.

Alternatively, you could try the OB and see if someone might like them for their deer lease or something else. They could just as easily be ground mounted and power a battery backup system for a remote or off grid setup. You'd need the batteries and probably some equipment, but it could be worth someone's while with cheap panels.
Martin Q. Blank
How old are they? Their power output degrades over time.
hurricanejake02
AG
Martin Q. Blank said:

How old are they? Their power output degrades over time.

And even more - new panels tend to make significantly more power in general, as well as per dollar.
aggiepaintrain
AG
since new panels cost about $4k and they sell them for $40k, I think you know the answer.
They are worth $0 to a solar company
Jason_InfinityRoofer
I have no idea how old they are but less than 5 years. And yeah, the whole government rebate is wierd. Cheaper to do new than reuse.

I'll get them Saturday and see what we have. Maybe I can mount a giant panel on my gate to charge my opener battery. Lol.
Kenneth_2003
AG
I can ask at work...

We're working our way through a pallet of panels. We do a lot of remote seismic monitoring station installations and have to put a solar panel on top of every station. I'd have to determine if they'd work with our solar controllers, the rated output, etc.
Pinochet
I looked into buying used panels for a project once. There are a few used panel resellers online, but I'm not sure if they'll buy them or for how much. There are also tons of people reselling these things on Craigslist for what seemed like almost new prices at the time. Now they are much cheaper used ($0.35/watt). You may check those two options depending on the level of effort you are willing to put into it.

You could also keep them as trade in value for your next solar job (trade toward the new panels). Some of the suppliers will give you enough in credit to be worth it. Could make you a little extra money that way.
cavscout96
AG
how many are you talking about?

Can you post the specs?

VOC
Watts
tgivaughn
AG
The fad I have been following is about Geeks running their computers off solar panels, thus you would sell each one "as is" & they would know how to hook them up.
https://thephoenixsun.com/solar-panels-for-computers/

This is your resell & new competition in that case + shipping might be a hassle
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=solarpanels&_sacat=0

Otherwise, a large city solar company might make an offer after testing them.
Worth a call to BTU in Bryan to gauge interest & guidance.

I don't see many about Aggieland, even though I do have one neighbor on a 2-story roof with wrong pitch & direction facing.

Past designs - only one retired Exxon near Singleton on roof; I hear many are thinking on ground these days.
IMHO and am sticking to it
agcivengineer
AG
If you end up having no use for them or can't resell them, send me a note. My dad has a cabin in Colorado that is off the grid. We use solar panels and battery. While we don't necessarily need more panels, we could put them to better use than putting in the trash.
Guitarsoup
AG
They won't have much value on the resale market.

Do you know:
Wattage per panel?
Frame or Frameless?
Panel Size?

A known brand with 300+ watts/panel, you might get $100/each.
agcivengineer
AG
I talked with my dad about your solar panels. I think there is a chance we might be interested.

How many do you have?

Let me know what your thinking and we might get more serious about them. The panels we have at our cabin are older, so we might be interested to either replace or add to what we have.

Thanks!
FamousAgg

I'm interested in a few if they go for sale
AColunga07
AG
I'm interested as well. Details?
Jason_InfinityRoofer
Here is what I have for info on these.

M216-IG is what's on the inverters

UP-M265M-B are the panels.

I have 19 panels. I have the inverters for them, they are disassembled but as far as I know, nothing is damaged. Seems like everything just plugs in. **Shrug**

These were professionally uninstalled/removed.

I'm happy to sell them, or keep and use but I have zero clue what I could use them for. They say they are 30V. The panels are UPSolar.

Anyone know about them or their value? Im on the west side of San Antonio. You can either talk about them here or you can shoot me an email. Email is in profile.

I see a few above we're interested so if y'all want more info, I'll do my best.
Jason_InfinityRoofer
Email In profile. If any of you are interested, just shoot me a email. I'm putting these on marketplace to see what happens.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.