Thoughts on soapstone counertops?

4,313 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by schwack schwack
schwack schwack
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I figure they last thru high school labs + we like the sheen and color.

Pros seem to be many - cons? Maybe has to be mineral oiled?

cas8019
AG
we have soap stone counters in our laundry room and on small built in desk. Love the material. have had no issues with it. Has held up well (7 years)

have marble in kitchen and it was a terrible choice.
Kiss my beans
tgivaughn
AG
SOP #1 recommendations = quartz and quartzite
also the choice for selves if in the biz ... ask one
IMHO and am sticking to it
Aggie Apple
AG
Dang, where's that guy that speaks Vaughn?
planoaggie123
AG
schwack schwack said:

I figure they last thru high school labs + we like the sheen and color.

Pros seem to be many - cons? Maybe has to be mineral oiled?

Semi long post so bear with me.

We just installed soapstone and we love it. Is it perfect? No. But no stone gives you everything you want.

We got the look we wanted + we love the fact that it doesnt stain, citrus etc are safe on it, and we can set hot pans, etc direct without concern.

It does in fact scratch easy but small scratches can be fixed with oil / wax and bigger can be resolved by sanding.

As for mineral oil, we did that at first and we did not like the results at all. Counters looked oily and too shiny even after several days of drying. I bought several strong cleaners and eventually got it all off and then we used this product:

https://www.realmilkpaint.com/shop/waxes/soapstone/?attribute_pa_size=16-oz&gclid=Cj0KCQiAyracBhDoARIsACGFcS5P6X1F3MOyIN0igsFhNz4-l370_mQRD_mXB0NSDfCYGPPzjGkpWUsaAlwbEALw_wcB

The application / curing process is time consuming but you don't have to do it often at all vs mineral oil. We did 1 application about 6 months ago and everything looks great still. I MAY do another coat next week as we will be gone for 1 full week and may take advantage of the cure time and just give the counters a little extra darkness and make them pretty before Xmas.

Here is our kitchen.

One other little note...if you go this route...do not let the fabricator do anything to the soapstone (any sort of protecting coats, oil, etc). They will mess it up. All you want is "untouched" soapstone for you to then do the application of wax, etc. The fabricators won't do it as well as you will. They will rush it.

Happy to answer questions. We get a lot of compliments. While its not an uncommon stone its also not very common so people are always intrigued when they come in. Classic look but not the same white carerra look that 90% of homes go for.
schwack schwack
AG
We've been researching it & if we go this way, don't plan on putting anything on it. We love the natural look & sheen.
schwack schwack
AG
Thank you - very much what we want to know! Love your kitchen!

edit - Meant to add a thanks for that link. Interesting product.
planoaggie123
AG
schwack schwack said:

We've been researching it & if we go this way, don't plan on putting anything on it. We love the natural look & sheen.

If that is the case, you will love them even more. They will be a breeze to take care of as the occasional scratch will sand out VERY easily.

Would love to see how yours turn out if you end up going this route....
schwack schwack
AG
Heavily leaning this way but we are in rural East TX - if Tyler ain't got it, we're probably screwed.
bam02
AG
I like the look. Can't speak to the durability. Our quartz contractor had some quartz that I think looks like soapstone and we used that for our perimeter countertop and a small desk area.
KRamp90
AG
SOP #1 recommendations = quartz and quartzite

also the choice for selves if in the biz ... ask one

Standard Operating Procedure #1 - get quartz or quartzite

This is the choice for folks in this type of business. Ask them for recommendations.
TMfrisco
AG
We have it on our master bath vanity and love it. You can find it in Dallas with a little work.
evan_aggie
AG
cas8019 said:

we have soap stone counters in our laundry room and on small built in desk. Love the material. have had no issues with it. Has held up well (7 years)

have marble in kitchen and it was a terrible choice.

We were very close to pursuing marble for our kitchen. We ended up using "Dolomite" which had a more severe grey/white mix.

Even dolomite is a bit softer than quartzite.

schwack schwack
AG
Quote:

You can find it in Dallas with a little work.

I am trying my best but still no luck. Any suggestions?

Part of our problem is our location. There are a few fabricators in Tyler but their suppliers have struck out so far. One sent us pics of a container load of the Marine Black - but that is not really soapstone - it's slate.

"While it is widely sold as soapstone, Marine Black is actually a Phyllite, which is a slate that is further metamorphosed. Marine Black lacks Talc, one of soapstone's "main ingredients" responsible for some of soapstone's great qualities."

planoaggie123
AG
Just sent you a PM.
TMfrisco
AG
schwack schwack said:

Quote:

You can find it in Dallas with a little work.

I am trying my best but still no luck. Any suggestions?

Part of our problem is our location. There are a few fabricators in Tyler but their suppliers have struck out so far. One sent us pics of a container load of the Marine Black - but that is not really soapstone - it's slate.

"While it is widely sold as soapstone, Marine Black is actually a Phyllite, which is a slate that is further metamorphosed. Marine Black lacks Talc, one of soapstone's "main ingredients" responsible for some of soapstone's great qualities."

It's been almost 20 years and I can't quite remember. However, I think it may have been Latera or MSI. I did a quick search and A1 Soapstone Countertops pops up as well.

MSI I doesn't sell to the public, but they have a showroom you can go look at and it seems like that is what we did. But I remember looking in Austin as well and that is why Latera comes up in my mind.

I'll see if my wife kept the records anywhere and get back to you if she did.
schwack schwack
AG
Thank you!
FortWorthF3
We have soapstone and have mixed reviews. As stated above, it can handle hot stuff and has lots of variation that gives it an interesting look.

But, if you have a wine bottle on the counter while opening it with a corkscrew, you'll get a round scratch that matches the bottom of the wine bottle. If you put your cooler on the counter to unload, the hard plastic will scratch your counter a bit. When you put a hot item on it, you may end up with nearby fading (when its humid). Put dough on the counter, it'll lighten that area up distinctly from the area around it.

The variation in color can be smoothed out with regular mineral oil treatment. We do that and then wipe it down real well so its not oily the next day.

The scratches only come out with lots of wear that eventually hide the scratches.

I wouldn't get it again and if we redo this kitchen, its gone. But if you can treat it so that it doesn't scratch so easily, it may not be bad.
schwack schwack
AG
Found a slab in Dallas - now finalizing the fabrication quotes.

The slab is huge - 70 sq ft (our countertops are only 32) so we are using some for pantry counters & a fireplace hearth. Maybe even a small piece in the outdoor cook shed... end tables on the porch.... those small, left over pieces we can finish ourselves with standard woodworking tools.

Next up: the dreaded flooring search.

evan_aggie
AG
Basic question: is that deeper black the color after it is polished?

We have some Arizona river rocks that really pop when wet, but go back to more muted colors when they dry out.
schwack schwack
AG
Quote:

But if you can treat it so that it doesn't scratch so easily, it may not be bad.

Thank you for your input, it is much appreciated. Oddly enough, we don't use our countertops very much. We have a big island where all of our food prep happens, unloading groceries, coolers, etc. all happen there. That surface is that old thick wooden railroad car flooring - it has taken everything we've thrown at it for the last 10+ years with no damage.
schwack schwack
AG
Quote:

is that deeper black the color after it is polished?
Yes.... sort of.

That said, it's not a stone that gets polished. They wipe it with water in the showroom to show you what it can look like. You can leave it unsealed OR use mineral oil or wax to get the dark look.

evan_aggie
AG
Do you plan on trying to achieve that dark look?

If so I'd be tempted to go black granite.
schwack schwack
AG
Yes. I like the waxed finish. I don't want granite - the super polished shine, sealing, stain/etching possibilities are not what I want to deal with for the long haul. I've always loved the look & feel of soapstone - since high school lab!

MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
We have a house in Mason where we used soapstone. Literally got it from the jr high school in town.

TMfrisco
AG
schwack schwack said:

Found a slab in Dallas - now finalizing the fabrication quotes.

The slab is huge - 70 sq ft (our countertops are only 32) so we are using some for pantry counters & a fireplace hearth. Maybe even a small piece in the outdoor cook shed... end tables on the porch.... those small, left over pieces we can finish ourselves with standard woodworking tools.

Next up: the dreaded flooring search.

Glad you found it. One of the places I listed?
schwack schwack
AG
As always - incredibly impressed with your projects. Granted, it had years of patina, but did you oil or wax it once placed in your amazing house?

edit: amazing second home!
schwack schwack
AG
YES ! - we got it at the old Allure that is now Architectural Surfaces on Zodiac Lane. We went to several places in Dallas & even Shreveport where Triton had several (but more green than we wanted).

That slab was delivered to our fabricator last week & we went to see it last Friday. When their guy looked at it later that day, unfortunately, there was a fissure that he felt would crack during the cutting process.

AS was very quick/receptive, sending us pics of another slab - several shots, closeups, wet & dry - on Monday and delivering it next day (yesterday) from Dallas. We'll go check it out today or tomorrow to lay out our templates, but it looks great - maybe even better than our first one.

It was a real disappointment BUT they were very good at finding a quick solution so we're not held up too much on our schedule.

Thanks again for your suggestion to go there!
TMfrisco
AG
Glad I could help. I know I looked long and hard for what I needed.
schwack schwack
AG
Worked out for the best - we went to see the new slab today & liked it even better than the other one!
schwack schwack
AG
UPDATE: Back to square one. Slab broke at fabricators. No replacement available.

Starting calls today - back on the search. We went to B/CS Saturday to see a slab but it was way green. I know, I know - we could get a black granite but I want the soapstone look, feel & qualities. It's just different. It's not so much that we have to have "stone countertops" - I want a low lustre, black countertop that is stain & etching resistant. No shiny specs, polished gloss & not a lot of movement. Soapstone is the only thing that has those properties.

Honestly, at this point, I'd rather have dark, charcoal grey formica than switch stones. Can you tell we're frustrated?!? LOL

edit: they tried to glue it back, but it was unacceptable & super obvious. Did not look like a vein - it looked like a repaired crack across the counter. I know you can get away with repairs easier on granite, etc. because it's spotty & easier to hide. Not only could you feel it, but the "sheen " was different along the epoxy "fault line" where we did a test of the soapstone wax we plan to use. Very shiny, cr**** line - hard to get a good pic but this is what it looked like waxed. Disappointing.

MikesFamousJava
AG
Have you tried holding the bottle still and rotating the corkscrew instead of the other way around?

Sorry, I couldn't resist
schwack schwack
AG
Quote:

Sorry, I couldn't resist

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.