Garage Storage Bin Containers

3,732 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by dragons06
10andBOUNCE
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looking for TexAg recommendations for best storage bins. Want to replace cheaper Rubbermaid bins that have been beaten up and find some nice stackable totes. Goal is to get as much as I can off the ground onto metal shelving. TIA!

I have gone through the main Amazon, Lowes and HD options so I am somewhat familiar at this point but just too much to parse through.
TravelAg2004
AG
We've had really good luck with these.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/COMMANDER-27-Gallon-108-Quart-Black-Yellow-Tote-with-Standard-Snap-Lid/3551290

They are usually on sale 2-3 times a year and we grab 3 or 4. Having everything be the same size makes life a lot easier. Also, get some different colors of duct tape and put on them. Then Green = yard stuff, yellow = painting, etc...you can write it on it with a sharpie and it holds pretty well.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
If you can, go clear. At least you will have a chance of seeing what you are looking for from the outside. If you have luck like me, your desired thing will be in the dead middle, but you gotta give yourself a chance.
bam02
AG
TravelAg2004 said:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/COMMANDER-27-Gallon-108-Quart-Black-Yellow-Tote-with-Standard-Snap-Lid/3551290

They are usually on sale 2-3 times a year and we grab 3 or 4. Having everything be the same size makes life a lot easier. Also, get some different colors of duct tape and put on them. Then Green = yard stuff, yellow = painting, etc...you can write it on it with a sharpie and it holds pretty well.

I have a bunch of these. They're pretty good. I used to have a nice storage system using these and would just write what was in them (fishing gear, life jackets, etc,) on the end with a piece of chalk. Worked great.
Texker
AG
I like bins with latches but we have a couple of these from Costco that are similar to the Lowe's bins. Costco typically stocks them and they'll go on sale a couple times a year as well. https://www.frugalhotspot.com/2016/01/costco-sale-incredible-solutions-27-gallon-plastic-storage-bin-6-99/
Texker
AG
Nvmd
Sea Speed
AG
Costco had some very very heavy duty sturdy ones for dirt cheap not too long ago.
FightinTAC08
AG
I use the lowes ones posted. They have different sizes as well
Iowaggie
AG
Sea Speed said:

Costco had some very very heavy duty sturdy ones for dirt cheap not too long ago.

Yes. They are the same brand & style as the linked Lowe's ones above.

Take the time to properly label the bins if you don't get clear. The 15 seconds to throw a label on one easily makes up for the 15 minutes when you are looking for something.
91AggieLawyer
AG
I have two different kinds of bins in the shelves I built in my garage: the Hefty clear ones (the smaller ones may be another brand, but they are similar) bought at Lowes, and the more durable Rubbermaid Roughneck tote that I have things that I would throw into the back of my truck. In other words, if the gear as a group (i.e. in the tote) is in any way mobile, its going into the Rubbermaid. If it is going to stay in the garage, or be used as a single item, I'll throw it in the clear tote. For me, this has worked out well. Most of the clear totes have stuff I use rarely while the other totes I access on a monthly or quarterly basis.

Most of the clear totes are decent but aren't made to be thrown around or taken in and out of the garage consistently. If you're going to do that, I'd lean toward the black and yellow totes from HD at least or the Rubbermaid ones. I've got a couple of large black/yellow HD totes on my back porch with a few things in them.
10andBOUNCE
AG
Appreciate all the feedback.

Regarding the black and yellow, have anyone's broke? Seems like the only consistent negative is that the lids shatter easily.
Aggietaco
AG
10andBOUNCE said:

Appreciate all the feedback.

Regarding the black and yellow, have anyone's broke? Seems like the only consistent negative is that the lids shatter easily.
Never had an issue with mine. I keep some of the medium sized one double stacked with heavy chit in my garage. Even so, they are fairly inexpensive so if you have to replace a few every 5 years, it's not much of an issue. My oldest are probably around the 5-6 year mark with no problems yet.
evan_aggie
AG
TravelAg2004 said:

Just FYI these are the primary bin that Costco carries as well.
bam02
AG
I have 8 of them. No kids have broken but I have had two break on the rim from carelessly picking them up with too much weight (like busted up tile from demo) without the lid on. I would say that was my fault and not an issue with the bin. They're still very usable just slightly less rigid now.
Texker
AG
Texker said:

I like bins with latches but we have a couple of these from Costco that are similar to the Lowe's bins. Costco typically stocks them and they'll go on sale a couple times a year as well. https://www.frugalhotspot.com/2016/01/costco-sale-incredible-solutions-27-gallon-plastic-storage-bin-6-99/
Bump that I was in Costco yesterday afternoon and they have the black and yellow bins on sale for a $1.50 off making them $7.99. People were buying them like crazy. Sale goes through Jan. 29.

Also, and more importantly, their 24 count of chocolate chunk cookies are also $1.50 off making them $8.99. Of course in Feb-early March '21 they were $6.49 on sale.
combat wombat™
AG
There are very sturdy plastic shelves made by the same company that makes the black and yellow ones… the bins fit on them perfectly.
Snipes
AG
Any body make a rack to hang these from the garage ceiling?

I saw some crazy expensive pre made racks on Amazon.

Should be able to make something out of lumber for much cheaper.
dragons06
AG
Snipes said:

Any body make a rack to hang these from the garage ceiling?

I saw some crazy expensive pre made racks on Amazon.

Should be able to make something out of lumber for much cheaper.

Aggieangler93
AG
I find the wheelbarrow suspending to be more impressive!
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
dragons06
AG
Aggieangler93 said:

I find the wheelbarrow suspending to be more impressive!
Used this mounting bracket.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.