Rubber foot to metal adhesive

929 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by ABATTBQ11
Koko Chingo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What adhesive should I use to attach a rubber foot (flat) to powder coated metal. It will be for a tripod style base and see some use.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Is this for permanent attachment?
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
JB weld. Affixing to the powder coat is not ideal, but probably not a better option for you.
javajaws
AG
If its high use I doubt anything will last too long other than screwing it on somehow. Maybe try some double sided VHB tape - that stuff's pretty strong.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin
Koko Chingo
AG
This will be a permanent installation. It is on a monopod like stick for a camera but there are three short legs taht fold down for stabilization.

I am not 100% opposed to using a screw but it would be my last choice.
barnacle bob
AG
I would not trust glue in that application. It sounds like a small diameter, I'd be looking for a rubber foot that tightly slips over or make my own. Lowes and HD have specialty parts and stuff like that in bins where screws are located.
You might even try measuring the diameter and seeing what you can find on net or Amazon.
tgivaughn
AG
Agree that JB Weld might be worth a try

also this has worked on many, many items similar but not for-sure, a risk of $7
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008VK0JS4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here's a $9 experiment that claims rubber-metal, so read the reviews first
https://www.amazon.com/Barge-All-Purpose-Cement-Rubber-Leather/dp/B00B5XDPLC/ref=sr_1_4?crid=MSUTG7NSCC2J&keywords=rubber%2Bmetal%2Bglue&qid=1664828649&qu=eyJxc2MiOiIzLjA3IiwicXNhIjoiMi45MSIsInFzcCI6IjIuMzEifQ%3D%3D&s=hi&sprefix=rubber%2Bmetal%2Bglue%2Ctools%2C153&sr=1-4&th=1

Sometimes only a 2-part epoxy will work, so another experiment $6 risk
https://www.amazon.com/PC-Products-PC-AutoBond-Adhesive-81112/dp/B008DYMIEG/ref=sr_1_5_mod_primary_sns?crid=MSUTG7NSCC2J&keywords=rubber+metal+glue&qid=1664828649&qu=eyJxc2MiOiIzLjA3IiwicXNhIjoiMi45MSIsInFzcCI6IjIuMzEifQ%3D%3D&s=hi&sbo=GLaw0Fx56FiNH%2FiZ%2B6XKiQ%3D%3D&sprefix=rubber+metal+glue%2Ctools%2C153&sr=1-5

Hey, let us know so we can jump on a winning product as well.
IMHO and am sticking to it
ABATTBQ11
AG
If it's permanent, sand the powder coat and roughen the surface with 100-150 grit sandpaper for better adhesion. Use JB weld or some other epoxy. You could also use cyanoacrylate or a silicone based adhesive. Make sure you clean both surfaces really, really well before attaching. Surface prep is the most important part of any glue job.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.