Should I suspect a drain leak here?

1,230 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by tgivaughn
ABATTBQ11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

I haven't watered or gotten rain in awhile. The rest of the lawn has dried out like it normally does after time without water, but this spot is still a little green. It's not smelly or soggy though. Should I suspect a drain line leak here? I'm thinking that's probable with the green and the proximity to the clean out, but i don't want to go on an excavation adventure for nothing. Everything inside seems to drain fine. How long should I wait for this to dry out and confirm one way or another.
ftworthag02
AG
Is your meter turning?
AnchorFoundation
I would not suspect the drain line.

IF there was a break at the clean out, it should be so far below grade that it won't keep your grass green. Worth pulling the cap off and seeing how deep the main line is.

What's the orientation on your house? Is this on the north east side and getting a little more shade in the afternoon?
Picard
AG
Post a picture including your roof line.

ABATTBQ11
AG
Water main is on the other side of the driveway. Fixed that leak a month ago. Probably why I'm paranoid now.
ABATTBQ11
AG
AnchorFoundation said:

I would not suspect the drain line.

IF there was a break at the clean out, it should be so far below grade that it won't keep your grass green. Worth pulling the cap off and seeing how deep the main line is.

What's the orientation on your house? Is this on the north east side and getting a little more shade in the afternoon?

This is the north side and east of the garage on the right. Not sure if gets substantially more shade, but I considered that as well. There is a mature tree a couple feet behind where I'm standing that gives the front some decent shade.

There is a low roof over the porch that ends where that column is. Garage extends out from the house on the right. Now that i think of it, any runoff from the roof ends up here, so it may just be that this got a little extra water the last time we had rainy weather coming through. We'll usually get some runoff from the roof even when it just sprinkles and doesn't even wet the yard.

I'll maybe pull the cap in the next couple days, but this does help me sleep a little better. And now that I'm looking at it, it's green a little more uphill that downhill. Probably not something a leak would do.
Bronco6G
This just looks like normal morning dew dripping off the roof green grass to me
dsvogel05
AG
Looks like you've got mold growing on your brick and foundation where the sidewalk meets the front porch, so that would indicate moisture is present. Does the sidewalk stay wet, or is there water in the expansion joint? A picture of the roofline would be helpful.
ftworthag02
AG
ok but the water service goes under the house and more than likely there was a decent amount of sand or sandy loam soil used for the pad and water will find the path of least resistance....
ABATTBQ11
AG
There is an inside corner there at the roofline. Water runs off there and splashes at that spot whenever it rains. I'll try to get a picture tonight
TexAg1987
ABATTBQ11 said:

There is an inside corner there at the roofline. Water runs off there and splashes at that spot whenever it rains. I'll try to get a picture tonight
Green spot seems to follow the water runoff from the roof and not the drain.

ABATTBQ11
AG
I know. We just haven't had much of anything in a week or two.
TexAg1987
Put out a bucket where it would drip from the roof and see how much dew you collect.

You may find that you need to insulate your attic better.
ABATTBQ11
AG

Roof line
tgivaughn
AG
From the limited information (Google Earth would give more, if want to email me)
it seems that green grass is benefiting from whatever is collected on the roof, certainly more volume at the valley, then the flatwork ushers whatever falls over to the green space as well.

If there's no foundation movement, then no worries here, even if a tiny leak surprise found later helps make a green spot.
IMHO and am sticking to it
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.