Vinyl flooring over tile and hardwood?

1,283 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by BrazosDog02
BoDog
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So have been talking to a few contractors and one suggested to save on demo costs, he can go completely over the kitchen tile and living room engineered hardwood floor. Is the doable with a good quality vinyl and glue?
Chipotlemonger
AG
I've laid LVP over concrete with a pad and over simple sheet vinyl flooring.

I would be concerned with the tile in terms of level. What is the size of the tile? How level is that tiled floor?

In my opinion and based on my experience, probably fine over the hardwood. But there are probably people on here with way better input and experience.
BoDog
AG
Tile is fairly large. Probably 14" plus. This for the info!
TexAg1987
Seems like you would be giving up any of the water proof/resistant benefits of the LVT by installing it over hardwood. If water ever gets under it, you will have to rip it ALL out to fix.

Less of an issue over the tile, except you will need to put a leveler on top. the LVT will telegraph any bumps/cracks from underneath. The more layers, the better chance you have for failure.
MS08
AG
When it comes to matters like this, my default is to do things the right way. I know saving a couple bucks is appealing in the short term, but in the long term, for best satisfaction and enjoyment, demo out all existing floor in the areas where you are putting new floor. If the engineered floor is floating that is really easy to take up. I flipped a house in Pebble a few years back and the whole downstairs was pretty much tile and we successfully demoed it out ourselves. If you are lookin to save money and do it the right way - you could rent floor ripper machine from Home Depot, use a hammer drill with a demo bit, and some other inexpensive hand tools and you can get it done.
Ryan the Temp
AG
I would definitely be concerned about the tile at the very least. LVP will eventually take on the shape of whatever is below it (i.e. grout lines), particularly in high-traffic areas.
aggiepaintrain
AG
I put real hardwood over tile and laminate wood, no issues
Z100
AG
Installed LVP over tile throughout entire first floor 12 mos ago. installer floated floor to level in essence filling in grout indents then installed LVP. avoided mess of removing tile, saved some $ and it looks great.
there is another thread in HI forum with more details.
htxag09
AG
How does it look where the floor meets items like door sills? I'd imagine your floors are now 1/2-3/4" higher than they were?
one MEEN Ag
AG
BoDog said:

So have been talking to a few contractors and one suggested to save on demo costs, he can go completely over the kitchen tile and living room engineered hardwood floor. Is the doable with a good quality vinyl and glue?
Bo,

Is this vinyl like old school stick down vinyl, newer floppy plank vinyl or rigid, click together vinyl plank that goes down line engineered wood?

A couple things you need to be aware of when just overlaying a floor:

-You still have to do floor prep and clean,etch the surface of the old tile and engineered wood. If you don't do prep, you won't get a good adherence for the next step.

-You still need to level the floor with a thin, self leveling compound. Your floors were not perfectly flat when they did all of these different flooring installs. Time to get it right.

-Can your fridge, dishwasher and potentially washer/dryer have the clearance to get out of their bays with the extra floor height?

-How does the installers plan on dealing with floor trim and also trim at the bottom of doors?

If those answers can be satisfactorily answered then go ahead with laying over you old flooring. Don't let a contractor tell you you don't need to prep the surface. Eventually your flooring will sag just a hair over grout gaps and the areas between wood/tile. You'll notice it in about a year and the contractor will be long gone.
Z100
AG
installer/contractor raised door frames by trimming the bottom up a fixed length. needed some sanding afterwards. Same for existing doors.
tgivaughn
AG
Would love to see the photos of the kitchen tile and living room engineered hardwood floor that are judged so hideous they must "go", one way or another. Typically clients want the opposite of this quest.

I can hear The Money Pit SOP advice on this
1. it is possible but check your warranties from flooring manufacturer, adhesives, labor/mgt and compare that range of time to how long you want it to stay before you change flooring again. Such research is akin to re-roofing.
2. matters not if the new flooring adhesive is superman if the existing layer's adhesion gives way from age, water, etc. Someone already mentioned this caveat.

Would be good to see the vinyl that made you fall in love so deeply to consider this coverup.
IMHO and am sticking to it
BrazosDog02
AG
Why would you go to vinyl flooring if you already have tile and hardwood?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.