porch posts

1,095 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by TxAgg07
Jack Squat 83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I might be on this board more in the immediate future.

We're building a new house and our plan call for 12 - 8' x 8' x 10' posts for carport and porch posts.

They will be painted with minimal trim top and bottom. I don't know that I need treated necessarily since they will be primed and painted and kept off the ground, but what wood species would be best (remain straight w minimal cracks)?

TIA

Pretty sure most of you don’t know me.
one MEEN Ag
AG
Jack Squat 83 said:

I might be on this board more in the immediate future.

We're building a new house and our plan call for 12 - 8' x 8' x 10' posts for carport and porch posts.

They will be painted with minimal trim top and bottom. I don't know that I need treated necessarily since they will be primed and painted and kept off the ground, but what wood species would be best (remain straight w minimal cracks)?

TIA

8"x8"? You've basically got two (or three) wood options. Cedar (or douglas fir) for the looks or pressure treated pine for the cost.

at 8"x8", you could just do it with smaller sized steel and then clad it with whatever wood you'd like to make pillars.
tgivaughn
AG
IMHO
YellaWood/equal
https://www.yellawood.com/media/1911/yw-columns-warranty-426.pdf
Redwood
Cypress
Anchored T&B, raised off conc. a bit - ref. Strong-Tie items

Ask about Narrow Wall Bracing, even if not required (NWB CODE is to prevent wind forces blowing something over or more prudently, resisting a frame from "leaning" over time; again, Strong-Tie may have some "moment" connectors to serve.
IMHO and am sticking to it
Jack Squat 83
AG
Thanks guys.
Pretty sure most of you don’t know me.
GrimesCoAg95
AG
minimal cracks = not cedar or pine.
pressage
I'd use woodtone real posts or absolute posts. Then you won't have to worry about any of the splitting/twisting.
BrazosDog02
AG
We used cedar trunks for ours. They were debarked and aged naturally. Personally, I like the rustic appearance of it over a milled piece. No checking of the wood happened that was of note.
TxAgg07
AG
Either use Woodtone posts or frame posts with dimensional lumber and wrap in 1x Woodtone material. Paints great and has the look of wood.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.