Safe to mess with this?

1,538 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by tgivaughn
91AggieLawyer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have wires coming from the pole that I don't think are electrical -- I think they are cable TV related. I don't have cable. The electrician guys weren't sure what they were when they came out and fixed a problem early last year. However, that doesn't mean I want to get up there and start disconnecting stuff.

I don't think I'm going to have much luck trying to get the cable company to come out and do it, but I want this stuff off my house. If I'm going to hire it done, I at least want to know what to tell them it is as the electricians didn't seem to know (they were also AC).

Do I call the cable company and ask them? Is this low voltage? Is there a risk there is some high voltage stuff there? I know the pic isn't the best but how do I get that stuff off the house?

Picard
AG
1.). Shoot the lines off your house
2.). Then call the power company and tell them they have lines down

All it will cost you is a few rounds of ammo
Ryan the Temp
AG
That looks like coax on the left and modern phone lines on the right. You can cut these all day and it won't matter. In fact, you can cut it back to the pole if you want, or call the providers and ask them to disconnect it. Be warned - it's a PITA to get through to the providers if you do not have an existing, active account with them. You're better off just cutting the lines, rolling the cable up, and hanging the excess on the pole.
akaggie05
AG
Yep, on the left is cable and on the right is phone. You say you don't have cable but how do you get your internet? Would be good to confirm that before you start cutting.
Aggie Apple
AG
I was in the same situation recently. I knew they were old cable lines so I cut them and left hanging at the pole. When fiber guy came to run his line he cut it all the back for me so I wouldn't have a big mess hanging down.
aggiedent
AG
OP, if you don't have a non-contact voltage detector, go buy one. They are cheap and extremely useful.
redaszag99
Ryan the Temp said:

That looks like coax on the left and modern phone lines on the right. You can cut these all day and it won't matter. In fact, you can cut it back to the pole if you want, or call the providers and ask them to disconnect it. Be warned - it's a PITA to get through to the providers if you do not have an existing, active account with them. You're better off just cutting the lines, rolling the cable up, and hanging the excess on the pole.
agree with this
91AggieLawyer
AG
akaggie05 said:

Yep, on the left is cable and on the right is phone. You say you don't have cable but how do you get your internet? Would be good to confirm that before you start cutting.

My internet is FIOS, run through wire that comes into my garage. Totally separate. The phone lines haven't worked ever as long as I've been at this house, at least as far as I know. Phone service has always been through cable or internet provider.
91AggieLawyer
AG
aggiedent said:

OP, if you don't have a non-contact voltage detector, go buy one. They are cheap and extremely useful.

I have one. I just didn't know if it went off with the low voltage stuff. I didn't know how sensitive they were.
Matsui
AG
definitely coax cable on left and modern phone lines on the right. If you aren't using them, then cut them and roll them back to the pole.
tgivaughn
AG
At least one connection looks Primo, like forever - no maintenance, so
in avoiding the question - that others have addressed well - my concern would be
ReSale in leaving something not broke alone + if ever a rental, potential re-hookup fees, since things once free are becoming ... no longer.

I leave the legal to you .....
IMHO and am sticking to it
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.