Home renovation. Next question: standing seam metal roofing

1,197 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by DallasAg2
schwack schwack
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We want a standing seam metal roof. Currently we have a normal metal roof with visible fasteners (over shingles) that doesn't leak and we're not crazy about the color but since we are having so much done & moving out of the house, we are considering doing everything at once. Also, we are looking to really, really cut down on maintenance since we're only getting older.

After doing some looking online, "oil canning" or "ripples" appear to be a problem on some older homes. One solution we've seen is using panels with striation. Not crazy about that look but I would absolutely HATE seeing dimples, waves, etc. from flat panels.

Anybody have experience with this?

MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
Just did a renovation and went from shingles to standing seam with striations. Seems like oil canning is going to happen regardless. Striations just help hide it. Now that you're in the market, I'm sure you'll pay more attention to metal roofs, and I think you'll see more have striations than you think.

EDIT: just realized who the OP was. You've probably already seen these.

schwack schwack
AG
Quote:

EDIT: just realized who the OP was. You've probably already seen these.

I could look at pictures of your house all day. I was going to go back & see what you did - this saved me a search!

What color is yours?
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
It's a matte black
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
I think the lack of sheen helps to hide the striations some. It's mostly only visible where you look at the roof head on.
Apache
AG
I love the look of the black... but I know it gets hot as blazes.
Any ideas what the temp difference between black & plain galvanized?
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
Not totally sure, but I imagine it retains less heat than the black shingles that were up there for so many years. With spray foaming the house, the attic space is comfortable all year round.

It will show dust and pollen pretty quickly, but a nice rain will wash it all off. I pressure washed it once during this recent dry spell.
Jason_InfinityRoofer
Well, oil canning is not a "problem" so much as an aesthetic artifact. Striations and pencil striping are the only ways to mitigate oil canning. Personally, I like the look of oil canning because I'm a purist and accept the properties of metal but most folks won't tolerate it. My home is an old late 1800s build so ripples and imperfection are a thing due to hand hewn materials. It's not going to be perfect. Many won't offer metal installation any other way than striated or pencil striped so as to limit customer complaints. I recently did a house in Sabinal for an old German stonemason who insisted on No striations and wanted the oil canned appearance because it reminded him of home. Again….a rare case.

At any rate, metal is going to do what metal does, as it's seamed, differential stresses are going to create oil canning and ripples. Some panels do it more than others depending on a number of factors out of your control at the molecular level.

As the roof ages, it's going to go to dull finish and the bright shiny foil like appearance will be diminished, any imperfections will be hidden in dust, bird poop, an general weathering of the surface in a few years.

Personally, lightly striated is going to be the least "in your face" appearance and still mitigate the oil cans. Pencil stripes will be another option but it's a bit busier. It's your choice. Your home is not perfect, the decking is not perfect, and all of that will come through to some degree.

As for temperature diffference….it doesn't matter. Truly. It's like asking the temp difference between gray and black shingles. Black metal, galvalume, brown….hot as f- in the summer. We work early morning and eventually the guys will need welding gloves to handle the metal.

When you get done with your metal, make sure you get your class 4 discount from your carrier but be aware of the trade off with that.

If you really want to get into the weeds, and you don't want standing seam with oil canning, check out stone coated steel.
atmtws
AG
No input here other than I love the look of standing seam roofs. Best of luck OP!
schwack schwack
AG
Quote:

If you really want to get into the weeds, and you don't want standing seam with oil canning, check out stone coated steel.

Truly appreciate the information, Jason. We have a metal roof now - just the normal kind with screws & have never noticed any kind of "issues" not even any leaks - it's just an ugly color & we are getting too old to maintain those screws forever + we are moving out of the house for the renovation & feel like we should just do everything all at once. We know there will be some visible imperfections, I just don't want the whole thing to look wavy or dimpled.

We have never heard of stone coated steel - but we are in East TX and don't have a ton of options, but we are hitting google as soon as I hit post.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Have had a standing seam for about 7 years. No issues at all.
Jason_InfinityRoofer
schwack schwack said:

Quote:

Truly appreciate the information, Jason. We have a metal roof now - just the normal kind with screws & have never noticed any kind of "issues" not even any leaks - it's just an ugly color & we are getting too old to maintain those screws forever + we are moving out of the house for the renovation & feel like we should just do everything all at once. We know there will be some visible imperfections, I just don't want the whole thing to look wavy or dimpled.

We have never heard of stone coated steel - but we are in East TX and don't have a ton of options, but we are hitting google as soon as I hit post.

It's a heck of a time to be alive with technology and roofing. I had a guy pitch a product to me recently. Its a synthetic slate and wood looking product. It looks like slate but it comes in panels and it installs with hangers. They have some that look like real wood shakes as well. They truly look like a cedar shake roofed house. The advantage to them is they don't weigh more than shingles, so if you have a house that you want to change the appearance to slate or tile without the weight of slate or tile, you can do that without the concern of structural failure from weight. It's not overly expensive either, certainly cheaper than the product it mimics. Plus, they fully train shingle installers on site to install it. It's a good business model.

There is for sure a roof for every budget these days.
DallasAg2
AG
I love this. I need a new roof on a house in Tampa that is metal and leaking. Will look into this option.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.