Help with doorway casing/trim…

1,431 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by The Dog Lord
bam02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
As part of our laundry room remodel we decided to take the door and frame off of this small closet where we had stored cleaning supplies and plan to turn it into a small open "locker" style storage area for our two kids.

I'm looking for suggestions on how to trim out the opening. I am picturing just flat casing with some kind of trim on the side. I know I'm gonna have to improvise some of it because of the way the walls were designed to be a closet.

I don't know if y'all can even tell enough from the pics to offer any suggestions but thought I'd ask.

On the right side that 2x4 sticks out of the wall about a half inch. On the left the framing is recessed about a half inch behind where I cut the drywall. The header is recessed about 6" above the ceiling (ceiling in the closet is about 18" higher than the ceiling outside the closet.

The last pic is looking up at the header.

bam02
AG
Here is a pic taken of the entry to the laundry room with this closet area to the left.

Hammer Time
You could not do trim and just have it be drywall for the wall sections. Lower the ceiling height in the closet to match the furred down area in the room. Widen your opening all the way to the existing walls. Add corner bead and sheet rock tam hat corner on the left of the opening to be a straight wall.
bam02
AG
Thanks Hammer Time. I hadn't thought of lowering the ceiling in the closet. The ceiling at the entry way is really low, though, maybe 7'. I feel like this might look ofd but maybe you're right.

Also, I guess I have only been thinking of trimming it out because that 2x4 on the right that protrudes. I wasn't sure if I should leave it in place. Any way for a novice to check if it's load-bearing?
jamesf
AG
Shim out the left side so that it matches the reveal width of the right side. Trim out the opening with 1x6. Match the outside casing with the trim from the other door. Inside of the closet, trim it out with something that covers the transition and looks nice. Quarter round or just a 1x cut to width would possibly work, although whatever you do won't be very noticeable so I wouldn't spend too much time on the inside.
jamesf
AG
I am looking at the pictures more closely, and I see that there isn't much space on the right side for the casing. I don't think what I previously said would look good. I would look at trying to remove or move that 2x4 so that you can have a flat wall on the right side.
GrimesCoAg95
AG
I am guessing that the header over that closet is sitting on the wall to the right. If so, you can move the right stud into the wall and have it under the header. You can even double it up if you want. Now you can use drywall on the right side.

I would use the short studs above the door to attach drywall or better yet, add better blocking.

As for the left side, just add some blocking and drywall that side as well.

OR

If you don't like finishing drywall, do the above to get the opening right and then build a cool locker that fits the space.
bam02
AG
I don't mind the idea of drywall work. I'm sure I'm over confident as I've only done patchwork but I think this will be a pretty forgiving area to practice.
CapCity12thMan
AG
just went through the same dilemma - drywall opening or cased opening...we went with cased, but yeah you just dryall it all. I've seen some where the corners get rounded to soften things up a bit. If there is gonna be a lot of in/out through it, I would be concerned with the corners getting dinged/marked up, which is why you see some people put those nasty plastic right angle trims on corners
bam02
AG
That's a great point. Kids will be putting backpacks and maybe sports equipment in there and will BTHO the walls, I am sure.
southernskies
Throw a metal corner bead on there
bam02
AG
Couple of updates after looking more closely…

The vertical 2x4 on the right is not supporting anything. It's just nailed into something behind it.

The header/horizontal 2x4 is actually just short sections of 2x4 between vertical 2x4's that extend further up into the wall. This is a two story and j really don't know how the framing looks like inside.

Also… the ceiling in this closet is only about 6-8" higher than the entryway ceiling. I really thought it was a good foot or more. This makes lowering the ceiling in the closet seem more reasonable to me but I'm still leaning towards leaving it and casing the doorway.

I appreciate all the help!
jellycheese
AG
I wouldn't mess with the ceilings. I would add a jack stud to the left side with a new header that matches the height of your other door. A few cripples over the header toe nailed into the top plate.

Your only drywall work is over the opening. Then add trim like a normal cased opening.
GrimesCoAg95
AG
I was thinking about this thread and here is my opinion after googling pictures. Many of these conversions look like closets with the doors off that are now lockers. Nothing wrong with that, if that is the look you want. I would try to do one of two things.

Convert the closet to an alcove using drywall then build in the lockers like this:

Make the whole closet into a locker with a face frame and no door casing. Make it look like a built in cabinet/locker.

Here is the best example I could find. If you want to go this route, I can draw up some plans if you provide the dimensions of the closet.

The Dog Lord
AG
Unrelated thread highjack question: what color paint is in your hallway? Trying to decide on paint color for a new house, and that gray looks pretty good.
bam02
AG
I am out of town but I'll see if I can find it when I get home. We are happy with it
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Lol. Just catching this thread. I think our wives have the same color tastes. Similar blue and grays. I just finished up the hallways.

bam02
AG
Just got up in the attic to check the paint can. We are very happy with the color. It's pretty light but dark enough to contrast well with the white trim.

The Dog Lord
AG
Appreciate it! I'm looking for that sweet spot as well in terms of staying light but still contrasting. Was nervous to go with white too since we don't know the shade former owners used on the trim.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.