Outdoor TV setup question

1,835 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by AgFB
RooAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I want to bring a TV out to my backyard during game days and family movie night. Turn on the smoker, light the solo stove and watch football or a movie at night with kids. This is not in an area I can hang a TV so looking for temporary viewing setup.

My thought is to buy a 55-60" tv that I can keep in my study and just take to the backyard when needed. They are light enough these days to transfer easily. It will be placed on the other side of a bedroom wall that has a Google mesh pod so I think the signal will be strong enough to stream ESPN, Netflix, etc…. I will probably get a fire stick as they tend to work better than smart tv software.

My question is what should I do for securing / placing the TV while watching? I have seen tripods you can buy for cheap so I'm leaning that way, but wanted to see if I'm missing something. I'm a little nervous with kids running around that a tripod may get knocked over, but don't want to wheel some big clunky stand or table either. Thoughts? Example of tripod linked below.

https://www.amazon.com/PERLESMITH-Stand-Portable-TVs-Height-Adjustable-600x400mm/dp/B08B3T3HGJ/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?keywords=tv+tripod&qid=1662297285&sr=8-4
Bronco6G
We use a stand just like this at tailgates, the base legs are wide enough it is fairly hard to knock it over. If you were worried about you could use some "u" shaped ground stakes over the foot pads.
OXDL45
AG
I used one of the older tv stands that we had from our first house. It is for a 55" and smaller tv but I just set my 60" tv on there. Works for me and if I need to put the tv away I just leave the stand there. You can usually find these for cheaper and I think it will help with the concerns about it tipping over. If you have a dedicated space you are envisioning for the tv this is a good option in my opinion. Good luck!
bmc13
AG
how close will it be to the house? you could use the tripod and for extra safety attach some hooks to the eaves or wall and use a small chain to secure the tv in case of tipping.
AgLA06
AG
Personal experience is Rokus perform better than Firesticks or TVs. We went that route first and they started having problems way too quickly. Haven't had that issue with Roku.

If it's on the backside of a wall, why can't you mount it to the wall with a swivel bracket? I wouldn't want a large TV in front of a window if that's what is stopping you from mounting it.
PlanoAg98
AG

VideoSecu Adjustable Ceiling TV Mount Fits Most 26-65" LCD LED UHD Plasma Monitor Flat Panel Screen Display with VESA 400x400 400x300 400x200 300x300 300x200 200x200mm MLCE7N2 WV3

ChoppinDs40
AG
Put it on a folding table and tie it down with a basic strap. Done.

if you go the mount route, make sure the wall mount can be used with whatever tripod/stand mount that way the tv slides up and off and can be moved easily.
Texker
AG
We have the master tv mounted on an Onkron tv cart. I just roll it out the bedroom door to the patio and good to go. I also take it out to the den on days when I want to watch multiple games.
Shawdaddy
AG
Its not the most attractive thing in the world, but before I permanently added a TV to the backyard, I had a dolly i bolted a piece pf plywood onto, then put a tv mount on the plywood. Strapped a bucket of concrete to the dolly in the front, then tied it down to another bucket of concrete with an eye bolt sticking out of it behind it. Had many gatherings with tons of kiddos and it was always plenty sturdy. At the end of the night I'd roll everything into the garage, with the exception of the tie down bucket that stayed. Embrace your inner redneck.
Aggie71013
AG
I bought this and wheel it out from my garage: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00GQLLCTA
JeepWaveEarl
AG
We have it mounted from the top of the structure for going on 4 years. Tv is a normal Hitachi 46" that's 7 years old.

bmc13
AG
Aggie71013 said:

I bought this and wheel it out from my garage: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00GQLLCTA

have the same one or very similar in my garage
Quad Dog
AG
It would depend on what time of day you want, where the sun sets, and if you have something to project on, but what about a mini projector instead of a TV you have to carry in and out?
AgFB
AG
Used to own a tailgating biz. Used these things all the time to secure tvs on tables and then eventually went with tripods.

I screw one of the stakes in and just use a bungee or ratcheting strap to the bottom of the tripod.

Orange Screw: The Ultimate Ground Anchor | Small 4 Pack Tent Stakes | Made in USA https://a.co/d/0l2tdRi
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.