Breaker Interlock Install

3,451 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Pepper Brooks
Dr. Doctor
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I thought I created a post about this before, but I guess I didn't. I installed this a few years back but the first real test was the 2021 winter storm. And I can say it worked like a champ.

A breaker interlock system is where you can back-feed your main panel manually. It will not flip over if the power goes out. It will not start the generator. You do not need to call the power company because you are not pulling the meter. In fact, the power company doesn't know if you install one or not, but if you install it wrong AND the power goes out AND you start back-energizing the line, they will be mad.

The interlock kit (as shown here) is code; you can MacGyver it up all you want, but if you sell, the inspector will ding you for it. So do it right the first time.

The first thing you'll need to know if what EXACTLY you have for your home panel system. Square D makes like 4 different types; GE is the same. You'll need to know the exact model/make of your panel. Much like going to the auto parts store and saying "I need spark plugs for my GMC", electrical systems have other models/makes.

For the install, you'll need the following:

• Breaker Interlock Kit (3 pieces of metal and some screws)
  • Wire (I used 8 gauge) to run the full distance from panel to the plug (can be single stranded for short distances in conduit or Romex if in walls)
  • Either a 30 amp or 50 amp breaker (depending on generator size and overall loads). Breaker needs to match the existing ones in your panel AND match the panel you have.
  • Outdoor Plug Box (30 or 50 amp, depending on your breaker size, needs to match)
  • Extension cord for generator
  • Rubber grommets for going in/out of panel/metal
  • Conduit if running outside for distance or not in walls (either flexible or rigid)
  • Fittings for conduit (if using conduit)

Tools:
  • Drill (to mount the kit and make holes)
  • Screwdriver (flathead and Philips, or as we said in the shop "pluses and minuses")
  • Wire strippers (cut the wires)
  • Multimeter (check for faults/grounds)

Here is my panel (pre-installation).

Inside the cover you can see the model number (HOMC30UC)

So you'll need to find the model number and look for a kit. Amazon sells some; I think I bought mine from a parts warehouse online. The kit is 3 pieces of metal. Mine was about $75.

First, take off the cover of the panel. This will expose all the wires. CAREFUL: You can shock yourself if the main breaker is still on. Power can flow and you can hit is and shock yourself.

(ignore the wires for now)

Next, you'll need to place the outdoor plug. I placed mine outdoor, on the other side of the wall of my panel. Near the patio (concrete base) but away from things so the generator isn't right at the house. Allowed me to get a 10 foot extension cord from amazon.

I drilled a hole to push the wires outside, as the wires went down from the panel and then out. I also cut a small hole in the sheetrock below my panel (see photo above) to help with guiding the wires out.

Make sure the hole is large enough, but not too large. Since my siding is wood, this was an easy step.

Once the wires are pushed through, put your box on and secure it outside.

Wire up the outlet plug. Make sure they are in the right place. While electricity doesn't care what color wire it's running through, you do care when you hook it up.

Close the box/put it back together and it should look like this!

Now for the inside work.

The interlock kit will need to be either in the 1 & 3 position or the 2 & 4 position; the kit will tell you. Mine needed to be in the 1/3 slot. So I had to move my downstairs HVAC unit to the top. See the difference on the left side of the panel below (before/after)

Now I had two open spots in the right spot. I connected my wires to the 30 amp breaker I bought (once again, the breakers are specific to the panel type). At this point, I used my multimeter to check to make sure I A) didn't have any ground faults and B) my connections were correct. Essentially make sure when I powered it up I didn't have a nick in the wire nor did I cross the streams...I mean wires.

One of the pieces of metal goes around the newly installed breaker. This is to remind people that when the cover is off, this breaker is special. The cover is what prevents you from turning on the interlock breaker AND the main breaker at the same time. When the cover is off, that protection is gone.

Close up of the cover for the new breaker.

Once the breaker is installed, the front cover will need to be 'modified' to put the sliding mechanism in place (the protection). This is the 2nd and 3rd piece of metal in the kit. One is a jig, the other what you install. You'll drill 2 or 3 hole to attach the sliding mechanism to the front cover. Use the screws. Once that's done, you'll put the cover back on your panel and it will look like this:

NOW, if you need to use the interlock kit, simply turn off the main breaker (at the bottom for me), which allows the plate to slide downward and then the 30 amp can be turned on.

• Turn off all of your breakers in the panel.
  • Connect the generator to the outdoor plug via the extension cord.
  • Turn on your generator. Wait a minute for it to stablize.
  • Turn on the 30 amp breaker.
  • Turn on the services you need (essentially everything BUT your outdoor HVAC systems).
  • Enjoy your house being powered up.

For the winter scenario, since I have gas heat, once my units got power, I had heat to the house again. And, at the time, I had DSL, which meant, once I had power, I had internet. I had converted my house lights to all LEDs, so the power draw was minimal. Also, when turning on fridges/freezers, wait a few seconds between systems when turning them on. You will cause a bit of draw to the generator at first (when they kick on), but then it drops (something call in-rush current, which can be 3 times the normal draw). Just listen to the generator to make sure it won't die. If it does, you'll have to start all over again.

When the power comes back on, simply turn off the breakers again (loads in the house) and then turn off the breaker interlock (30 amp in my case). Then you can turn the main breaker back on and then turn the other breakers back on one by one. Once power is restored, turn off the generator and then unplug the cord.

Make sure to store the generator and extension cord correctly and ensure the gas is 'cleaned up' in the generator, so it'll work next time!

This is the set-up during the ice storm.

I have a Generac GP 5500. If you have a larger generator, you can put a 50amp breaker instead of a 30 amp one. I put 8 gauge wire so that IF I want to upgrade later, I just have to change my breaker (in the panel) and the outdoor plug; the wires are oversized right now.

~egon

BosAG06
AG
Thanks for this, very informative. This has been on my list for a couple of years. We just went without power for 10 hours a couple weeks ago due to storms and it's such a pain to run extension cords to things like the fridge and TV. I'd love to be able to run specific rooms. I think I'm going to hire this out even though I'm pretty handy with basic electrical things. Hoping it doesn't cost me more than about $500 to have an electrician wire it up. I need to re-arrange some breakers and drill through brick for my setup. Great write up, I think this will help a lot of people.
redaszag99
It would be nice to have a couple of LEDs or something that would light up when you have utility power so you could tell when the power is restored
BosAG06
AG
redaszag99 said:

It would be nice to have a couple of LEDs or something that would light up when you have utility power so you could tell when the power is restored

I was thinking the same thing. Where I'm at Oncor is good about texting when it is restored though.
htxag09
AG
redaszag99 said:

Yeah, I thought about this but between Centerpoint sending out a text and being able to look out my window and see neighbors it's not really an issue
Aggietaco
AG
redaszag99 said:

If you're going to swing by your panel to check for LEDs, might as well step outside and glance at your meter.
akaggie05
AG
Ain't nothing code about running individual THHN wires through the wall like you did, plus just running them through grommets at the panel and receptacle vs. a proper strain relief. Need either conduit or romex outside the panel with appropriate strain relief clamps.

Only mentioning because you rightfully gave good warnings about doing it right as not to get dinged by an inspector.

Edit: and 8 gauge is a no-go for a 50 amp breaker. That puts you into 6 gauge territory.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Just an FYI- if you have gas appliances, you can likely run most of your house during a February '21 type event off of a 2000w (16.7a/120v) inverter gen, including gas central heat and tankless water heater.
Jason_InfinityRoofer
I have a 25kw Diesel generator. Are there any code issues with using an interlock kit and permanently wiring my generator in? I'm not going to be moving a 1000 pound generator around so it doesn't really need a removable plug
drummer0415
AG
Same process here. I added a 50amp generator inlet plug and interlock switch to main panel, so I can feed power to everything in the house. Completely code compliant.

I also installed a Sense power monitor while I was working in the panel so I could monitor usage in the hose during normal times, but it's also very handy to have while running on generator power because you can see how many watts individual items pull as you turn them on. That way you can make sure you stay within the limits of the generator, conserve fuel, etc.

We went without heat for 3 days during the great icepocalypse, and I swore I would never do that again, which is why I invested in this. I have two AC/heat systems, and since the furnaces are natural gas fired, my generator will easily run both of them, plus all lights and small appliances in the house. Ain't gonna be cold again.

I also tested the generator with all lights in the house on and one AC system (3.5 ton), but didn't bother with trying the second one. If a power outage happens during summer (hurricane season) we will just deal with having AC only on one side of the house and conserve fuel.

For a point of reference cost wise, when you add up the generator, power cord, interlock switch/plate, 50amp breaker, 50amp inlet plug, wiring (#6), AND the Sense monitor, I am right at $2k all in. Not quite as convenient as a "whole home" system with automatic transfer switch, but this cost SIGNIFICANTLY less. For the few times I will use this, this type of setup seems to be the best compromise between cost and convenience.

Dr. Doctor
AG
akaggie05 said:

Ain't nothing code about running individual THHN wires through the wall like you did, plus just running them through grommets at the panel and receptacle vs. a proper strain relief. Need either conduit or romex outside the panel with appropriate strain relief clamps.

Only mentioning because you rightfully gave good warnings about doing it right as not to get dinged by an inspector.

Edit: and 8 gauge is a no-go for a 50 amp breaker. That puts you into 6 gauge territory.
I'm changing the siding of my house (knew when I installed) and will fix the wire issues.

bmc13
AG

Martin Q. Blank
akaggie05 said:

#8 THHN is rated for 50 amps.
BrazosDog02
AG
Good. Don't want those pesky home inspectors to see it.

That's a joke, because I've watched 10 inspectors inspect electrical and that inspection entails check to see if:

1. You have a breaker panel

2. It has labels

I have never in my entire life had one open anything to see anything. If it's not exposed, they aren't looking at it.
DantheAggie
AG
I have basically this setup but I use my 2022 Ford F150 7.2kw generator. Put an easy start on my 3.5 ton ac and I can run it and all the lights, tvs, easily.
Pepper Brooks
AG
Hi,

I'm looking into this and have gotten some feedback from an electrician I wanted to run by y'all. They want to install a separate sub panel for the generator, a 50 amp breaker tied to the outdoor plug, and move all of the circuits we think we'd want to use to that panel, rather than do what's outlined in the OP. This way we make sure that the system would never overload the generator as we would stop moving breakers once we hit the max capacity of the generator.

He's telling me what is outlined in the OP is no longer up to snuff as the homeowner can still overload the system if they have access to all of the breakers. To do this, they want $800 in labor and I could supply the parts. Or $1,500-2,000 if they supplied everything.

Thoughts on this approach and the price? In north Dallas.
Pepper Brooks
AG
I also bid out the job of installing a T on my house gas line so I could fuel the generator from that. First quote was $2k which feels high.
BrazosDog02
AG
Pepper Brooks said:

Hi,

I'm looking into this and have gotten some feedback from an electrician I wanted to run by y'all. They want to install a separate sub panel for the generator, a 50 amp breaker tied to the outdoor plug, and move all of the circuits we think we'd want to use to that panel, rather than do what's outlined in the OP. This way we make sure that the system would never overload the generator as we would stop moving breakers once we hit the max capacity of the generator.

He's telling me what is outlined in the OP is no longer up to snuff as the homeowner can still overload the system if they have access to all of the breakers. To do this, they want $800 in labor and I could supply the parts. Or $1,500-2,000 if they supplied everything.

Thoughts on this approach and the price? In north Dallas.
Electricians have a lot of liability, and also they don't like callbacks, and giving customers control of a system is a good recipe to put a lot on their shoulders for callbacks and irritated customers.

There is nothing wrong with either approach. The OP approach is still protected by a 50A circuit. You can't overload a generator if you do this. The breaker will trip, everything will shut off and that's that. You will have to manually shed loads by breaker at that point.

Your system will work the same way except the electrician will force your circuits into a nearly impossible to overload setup.

It also takes more time, more parts, more labor, and a commands a higher price. It also takes the guesswork out of running your generator for people that are unfamiliar with things.

For me, considering I need a generator once a decade, I will just manage it manually.

This is a classic case of 'cost vs. benefit'. 2000 bucks to do something you can do for 50 is a large window. So do you want it cheap and complicated or expensive and easy?
Pepper Brooks
AG
I know someone apprenticing to become an electrician and he's going to come by tomorrow to look at it. I'm comfortable with the OPs approach and would rather save the money if I can find someone to set it up. I had a family member end up in the hospital doing some electric work around the house and decided the risk wasn't worth it after that.
htxag09
AG
I'd say the biggest negative of the setup the electrician is pushing is the lack of flexibility. Several scenarios, 1) with that set up I wouldn't have been able to run my gas furnace. Highly unlikely I'd choose my ac as one of those circuits. 2) what are the number of circuits? I can have every light on my house on, tvs, fridge, etc, just flip off the ac, oven, dishwasher, washer and dryer. Is there enough slots for all those? And finally 3) what if I upgrade down the road and get a generator that can run everything? Hell, my plan is if there is a pretty imminent hurricane to run to Home Depot and get the biggest generator they have and/or some portable ACs.

And I haven't actively pulled any city codes or anything. But would doubt the OP's method is no longer accepted.
Pepper Brooks
AG
I have a very reasonable quote($400) from a plumber to install a T valve in my house gas line so I can run the generator off nat gas.

Question… would you pull and go through the permit process on something like this? He's going to defer to me on whether or not we do it.
AggieGunslinger
AG
This is the biggest reason to use the interlock method. The circuits I need in the summer, think fridge/freezer, fans, etc. are different than what I needed in '21 i.e. gas heater, lights, etc.
slavy06
AG
I hired a plumber for right around $400 and he did the same hookup as you're describing with a T off the gas line going into the house, a shutoff valve, and a quick connect coupling that matches up to my flexible hose rated for NG service. FYI the plumber never mentioned anything about needing a permit for this work so I didn't bother.
Pepper Brooks
AG
That's the job I'm bidding out to the letter. My assumption is an inspector might call it out if we ever sell the house but I doubt anyone would know unless there was an issue. Is my thinking logical?
htxag09
AG
Pepper Brooks said:

That's the job I'm bidding out to the letter. My assumption is an inspector might call it out if we ever sell the house but I doubt anyone would know unless there was an issue. Is my thinking logical?
If you have work done that isn't to code or know doesn't have permits but should, you're supposed to disclose it when selling. At least I'm pretty sure that's true. Does everyone? Absolutely not.
Pepper Brooks
AG
I got the gas work done for $375. I'm happy to share the contact for anyone in Carrollton or up towards Denton.
“There is no red.
There is no blue.
There is the state.
And there is you.”

“As government expands, Liberty contracts” - R. Reagan
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.