Sprinkler head leaking…

2,985 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Aggieangler93
bam02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have a head that hurts up to a sidewalk that was leaking. Turned off water to the irrigation system and it stopped. Finally had a chance to dig down and replace the head today. Still has a steady leak with water to system turned on.

Does this mean I have a valve issue?

I have not any other leaks on this zone but it could be I only noticed this one because it's next to a sidewalk.
chickencoupe16
AG
I think you just missed a break in your pipe. I've never heard of a bad valve doing anything except either not turning the zone on or not turning the zone off.

Edit: I reread and saw that you had to shut off water to the entire system to get the leak to stop. So maybe a valve that's stuck but just barely and the water is seeping out of the head with the least resistance?
Whoop Delecto
AG
hoosier-daddy
WhoopRAB said:

Likely a bad diaphragm.

wife had one of those. got twins
Ordinary Man
By replacing the head do you mean the spray nozzle or spray body? If you replaced the spray nozzle, you need to replace the spray filter also. So you remove the old spray head and filter from the spray body, then replace both of them. If you replace the nozzle without the filter, then it will leak around the nozzle.

If you replaced the entire spray body, make sure you tighten it sufficiently.
bam02
AG
I replaced the entire body. I'll check that the nozzle is tight. Thanks
Whoop Delecto
AG
TexAg1987
bam02 said:

I have a head that hurts up to a sidewalk that was leaking. Turned off water to the irrigation system and it stopped. Finally had a chance to dig down and replace the head today. Still has a steady leak with water to system turned on.

I have not any other leaks on this zone but it could be I only noticed this one because it's next to a sidewalk.
Heads are "always on" there is no valve in a sprinkler head.

Leak has to be in a valve.

lowest head will leak any time there is water running past the valve. And will leak if it is down hill from a valve until the branch is empty.
wcb
AG
WhoopRAB said:

hoosier-daddy said:

WhoopRAB said:

Likely a bad diaphragm.

wife had one of those. got twins
Fertigation systems require frequent maintenance. At least you proved that your pop up zone was functioning properly and with adequate pressure and duration.

If you keep getting errors in the bed zone, Reprogram the days of the month setting on your control unit.
Post of the year right there. Well done, sir.
bam02
AG
TexAg1987 said:

bam02 said:

Heads are "always on" there is no valve in a sprinkler head.

Leak has to be in a valve.

lowest head will leak any time there is water running past the valve. And will leak if it is down hill from a valve until the branch is empty.

Makes sense. I do think this is probably the most downhill head on this zone.

I just ran home at lunch and tightened the screw on the head and it seemed to really slow the leak. I left the water to the system on so if it's soaking wet around the head when I get home I'll know.
TexAg1987
You may have closed the head. While this may stop the leak, now it wont spray when turned on.

Check that everything operates while the zone is running, adjust your heads and then turn it off.

If it leaks constantly, it is a bad valve.

If it leaks for a while, it could be just draining the branch line. There is probably a solution to this if it is real annoying, but someone with more experience will need to chime in.
bam02
AG
Ha ha yeah I thought that might be the case but I haven't had time to run the system to check. Will do when I get home
ftworthag02
AG
18yr licensed irrigator here. You have a weeping valve. Locate valve, buy new valve (same one) and swap out parts. As another poster stated its cheaper to buy a new valve than buy the diaphragm & solenoid. Has nothing to do with the head. unscrew screw in nozzle so it will spray.

Good luck!
bam02
AG
Thanks. I didn't know what it was called but I definitely suspected it was from the valve not shutting off the water fully.
bam02
AG
So this certainly should be the valve in question, but how can I be 100% sure? Also, can anyone help me identify it? Other components are Rainbird.
ftworthag02
AG
Did you mean to include a pic?
There should be a bleed screw on the bonnet (top) and turn it counterclockwise slowly until the zone comes on. Don't unscrew it all the way. On most valves you can turn the solenoid counterclockwise about a 1/4 turn and that will turn on the valve. Just be careful not to unscrew it completely and then cross thread it and then you're f'ed. That's how you verify it's the valve.
ftworthag02
AG
Failed to mention that if you have a master valve on your system you can't bleed on the valve unless you bleed on the master valve or turn on another zone on the controller

You can also turn on the zone at the controller and touch the valve and you should feel water moving through it
bam02
AG
Thanks ftworthag02! Pretty sure no master valve.
ftworthag02
AG
You're welcome. While you're at it, remove the electrical tape and clean up connections and use water proof connectors like dryconn
mAgnoliAg
AG
Missed this one. Yep seeping valve. Manually open valve in question using bleeder screw to make sure it pops zone in question up and then either replace guts or cut out and replumb new one. For homeowner job I would replace guts as it requires a lot less labor and your valves are new enough to where it makes more sense to.
mAgnoliAg
AG
ftworthag02 said:

You're welcome. While you're at it, remove the electrical tape and clean up connections and use water proof connectors like dryconn

3M
ftworthag02
AG
Or dby
craig09
AG
Or wade connectors.
Edit: sorry I just thought we were naming brands.
Southlake
Yup, you realize you don't have to replace the whole valve right? You can simply take out the inside and put a new inside in. (Guts)

Refer to You Tube for many examples.
JohnnyShotgun
ftworthag02 said:

Hey ftworth, I have one zone that will run when the other zones are running. What causes that, and how do I fix it? I have a Hunter system and Zone 1 turns on with all the others and it's driving me crazy. Thanks
Apache
AG
You have the same issue as the OP. Constantly running valve has debris in it & it won't shut, so it runs when the other zones do. Only cuts off when the master valve is closed.
Find the valve & change out the interior & your problem will be solved.
ftworthag02
AG
like apache said you have a stuck valve and it turns off once the master valve turns off. Locate valve, take apart, blow out any debris, check diaphragm and possibly replace, reassemble. Good luck!
JohnnyShotgun
Thank you guys. I guess my reading comprehension needs some work too!
bam02
AG
So I just got around to working on this valve this evening (sad, I know!). Turns out it is a Hunter. I replaced the diaphragm but the old one looked fine, actually. Didn't see any debris inside.

Now This zone runs full blast when I turn the water back on. Solenoid seems like it's back on completely. Any idea what I screwed up?
Whoop Delecto
AG
bam02
AG
I tried that and felt like it was as clockwise as I could turn it without breaking something. I will try again tomorrow. It was just about dark and I was about to become anemic because of all the damn mosquitoes.
Whoop Delecto
AG
bam02
AG
No I got a replacement diaphragm and just swapped it out.

After doing that and having the issue of the zone running constantly I turned the solenoid with some pliers and broke it off, which I was afraid of. I'll try a new solenoid. I think I saw those at Lowes when I got the diaphragm. If that doesn't work I guess I'll be digging.
Whoop Delecto
AG
mAgnoliAg
AG
This is why we cut them out and replumb new one every time no matter what
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.