Door Knob Broken - how to remove

1,164 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Whitetail
planoaggie123
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So my door knob on exterior door is broken.

I can turn the knob but the bolt / latch is not moving.

I removed the cover and cannot get it to engage. How do I remove? May have to get a locksmith but figured I would try TexAgs first.

Edit: weslock if it matters

87IE
AG
You can try putting a screwdriver in the rectangular opening and push to the right.
Trench55
AG
Seems to me the easiest solution is to replace the whole lockset.
Buck Compton
AG
Trench55 said:

Seems to me the easiest solution is to replace the whole lockset.
Yeah, I'm confused here like the poster above… can you just not figure out how to get the lock set out if the door?
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Only one tool for this job. Sawzall.
aggie_wes
AG
Seems like that's the issue. The door is latched shut and OP can't get it open to remove.

Agree with poster above, put screwdriver in square opening in the middle and pry to the right.
BenTheGoodAg
AG
If you're trying to open this style, don't you need to push the left? I think this is how these style work - the part in green rotates, pushing the latch assembly the left (which pulls the latch/bolt to the right). I think if you push left where the red line is, it will allow the door to open. Could be wrong.

JP76
Take an old credit card or insurance card and from the front of the door slide it through and it will depress the latch to open the door

planoaggie123
AG
Ok so i am back.

Appreciate all the responses.

I had to get a locksmith.

As many mentioned, I tried push that "device" to the left towards the door opening and it would not work. Everything *appeared / seemed* to work but nothing would cause the bolt to retract.

The locksmith came out and was able to use air bags to get a tool in and manually get the latch back to finally open the door and get it out.

He played with it and he commented to believing a certain part "failure" related to the bolt that would have to be taken apart and replaced...but the knob is around 30 years old so did not want to waste money on it.

All that said, about $120 later I now have a new door knob. Likely now going to replace all in the back of house over the next few weeks so they match as the others are weather worn (from bright brass to now look more bronze) and the new one sticks out like a sore thumb.
Whitetail
AG
Next time sawzaw it.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.