Ac condensate line - Best Practice?

1,188 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Jetpilot86
ChipFTAC01
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I noticed last night my overflow condensate line is dripping so I need to get up in the attic this morning and clean the main line. Really need to get this on a regular PM schedule rather than wait for it to clog every spring it seems.

I think in thr past I've used bleach or vinegar but know in some places I've read to use one but not the other or neither. Opinions before I lug the shop vac and my sweaty ass up in the attic?
Marvin_Zindler
AG
My AC tech told me about these:

https://www.amazon.com/Homiom-Drain-cartridges-Included-Condensate/dp/B071JS76ZP/ref=pd_day0fbt_img_sccl_1/138-6815579-3132315?pd_rd_w=goB9n&pf_rd_p=bcb8482a-3db5-4b0b-9f15-b86e24acdb00&pf_rd_r=224Q41ZDWNGYTF0NKYM0&pd_rd_r=e2d0ec80-f912-4e3e-87a2-ddd05d273d31&pd_rd_wg=4gyzX&pd_rd_i=B071JS76ZP&psc=1

Worth every penny. I typically do it 2x/year.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Chlorine bleach vapors can corrode your equipment, though I do not know how much of an issue this really is.

There are a variety of primary drain pan treatments that are supposed to prevent clogs. I started using a similar product after a clog 2 years ago.
Nu-Calgon 4296-60 Pan-Treat Scum 200 Tablets https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B003N5AS60/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_7DMW175FM7YB8G3TJ6VP
Kenneth_2003
AG
I tried the shop vac method a couple years back with zero success. Thankfully the pipe run to the vent stack was short so I cut it out and was able to clean it with a swab on a fish tape outside.
boy09
AG
I dump some of these into my condensate pan every 6 months or so. I used to get slime building up in my drain line all the time and these have done a pretty good job keeping it at bay.

These probably won't clear the line if it's already plugged, but they've worked well as a preventative.
HDeathstar
I have two drains going to the outside, not sewer pipe. Main drain line that goes outside near the foundation and the backup that exits over a window.

Our AC guy told us to take the water hose and force the water up the pipe and hold for 10 second and then let it flush out. Do this till it runs clean. we get a lot of white putty type build up, and this usually clears the line. I do it a couple times a year when working in the yard.
Picard
AG
I pour boiling water down the line every 6 months on the recommendation of a HVAC guy.

Never had a single problem.

Aggietaco
AG
I don't do boiling but i use scalding hot water on a similar schedule. Once every year or two I'll dump a cup of bleach and then rinse with the hot water.
Aggietaco
AG
Marvin_Zindler said:

My AC tech told me about these:

https://www.amazon.com/Homiom-Drain-cartridges-Included-Condensate/dp/B071JS76ZP/ref=pd_day0fbt_img_sccl_1/138-6815579-3132315?pd_rd_w=goB9n&pf_rd_p=bcb8482a-3db5-4b0b-9f15-b86e24acdb00&pf_rd_r=224Q41ZDWNGYTF0NKYM0&pd_rd_r=e2d0ec80-f912-4e3e-87a2-ddd05d273d31&pd_rd_wg=4gyzX&pd_rd_i=B071JS76ZP&psc=1

Worth every penny. I typically do it 2x/year.

Only issue with those is that there is the small possibility of blowing a joint apart.
Jetpilot86
AG
Tagging on here vs a new thread. My line has condensation where you pour the bleach in. I use tabs. FWIW. Never seen the condensation before. Should be concerned?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.