Getting a pool, wisdom?

2,389 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by agz win
Jetpilot86
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm sure suggestion #1 will be "don't" but what do I need to know about getting a pool built? It will be in the Ft. Lauderdale area and a salt water vs chlorine pool.
agcivengineer
AG
Troublefreepool.com is your new bible.

1. Dont run chlorine tabs only.
2. If you have access to liquid chlorine, you can set up a system to use a rola-chem liquid feeder from a 30 ish gallon tank and feed liquid chlorine. I also run a tab feeder as needed to get my CYA where i want it.
3. If you dont have access to liquid chlorine, id go salt.
4. Even if you have access to liquid chlorine, salt is still a good solution.

Hope it helps.
akaggie05
AG
Regarding the build process, watch all of the subs like a hawk. They will cut corners. Call it out to your builder and make them make it right. Way easier to fix a crappy pour on the equipment pad or questionable joint near the main drain while things are still under construction, vs. 3 years later when you start having issues and the builder is long gone.
Jetpilot86
AG
akaggie05 said:

Regarding the build process, watch all of the subs like a hawk. They will cut corners. Call it out to your builder and make them make it right. Way easier to fix a crappy pour on the equipment pad or questionable joint near the main drain while things are still under construction, vs. 3 years later when you start having issues and the builder is long gone.
Thanks! Which begs the question, how will I know it when I see it? That is how clueless I am.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Jetpilot86 said:

akaggie05 said:

Thanks! Which begs the question, how will I know it when I see it? That is how clueless I am.

You won't know for sure. It is more of a, 'huh, why is that that way, that doesn't look right?', then you ask one of the supervisors. If, and when the supervisors English isn't quite good enough to explain it, ask the builder project manager. The pool builder project manager is supposed to be on your side over their subs and the good ones hold their feet to the fire. You will be way more involved in this process than you can imagine at this point.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
And, take pictures and/or videos of the yard showing where they put all the pipes.
Sea Speed
AG
Step one, go befriend the people at the permitting office.
HeightsAg
Milwaukees Best Light said:

Jetpilot86 said:

akaggie05 said:

You won't know for sure. It is more of a, 'huh, why is that that way, that doesn't look right?', then you ask one of the supervisors. If, and when the supervisors English isn't quite good enough to explain it, ask the builder project manager. The pool builder project manager is supposed to be on your side over their subs and the good ones hold their feet to the fire. You will be way more involved in this process than you can imagine at this point.
I don't think that is good enough. Bad contractors are really good at working over people who don't know what they should look for (and even those who might). If you don't want to get screwed, you'll need to ask a friend who has working knowledge of pool construction to periodically inspect the work.
Ikanizer
AG
I never much used the lights in either of the two pools I have owned. I spent a lot of time fixing a leak in the current one and converting it to 12V but haven't turned it on in a couple of years.
hunterjr81
I would recommend adding a spa to your pool. That is always fun to go relax in at night. If you have a spa you will have a heater which will extend your swimming season. Just being able to heat the water a couple degrees makes a big difference.
Jetpilot86
AG
That is already in the plan, they are asking some huge numbers to do anything.
Righteousgemstone
If you have existing irrigation, pay to have a irrigation come out and cut, cap and mark the pipes in the area. It will become a mess if you try and rebuild it after the fact.
agz win
AG
I'd look into hiring an independent inspector to monitor the build.

A friend of mine got a nice pool last summer and this week he reports it has a leak somewhere. Terrible.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.