Countertop Suggestions

2,108 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by tsuag10
tsuag10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We are building a small-ish barndominium to live in for the next 3-5 yrs. We are going with a rustic/country/farmhouse type theme, but my wife says, "I just don't want to feel like I'm living in a barn." We all know how this goes.

I think I've got her on board with concrete floors, but something big to her is good looking countertops. She says she doesn't have to have granite or quartz, but she reluctantly has said yes to some of the nicer looking laminate options.
Butcher block is a big NO. We both agree I t's gross for anything other than a rarely used bar cart or buffet.

Has anyone had any good experiences with solid surface?
Have you seen this new solid surface from Wilsonart? https://www.wilsonart.com/thinscape
It looks like it might be a good compromise. Home Depot carries it.

Total countertop area including island is about 65 sq ft.

TIA
tgivaughn
AG
Whenever I get to ask one of the suppliers of countertops what they would put in their house, it has always been Silestone/quartz. In the past, this material really had no pizzazz but times, they are a changing.

I prefer materials that take care of me, not me them ... enough things get old or need fixing as it is.
I want something fool-proof, so I don't burn it, etc. and don't have to baby it other than clean up my own messes.
So I can easily agree with the suppliers' pick of quartz at any price but can also live easily with WilsonArt new age products ... since their high quality laminates of old lasted well past 1980!

Take this with a grain of salt:
https://kncgranite.com/a-heat-resistance-guide-to-popular-materials-for-countertops/

All said & done, whatever will last a loooong time with proper care.
I don't do much care but do clean as stains first appear.
Thus our 1980 Wilson Art laminate,
considered today as "last choice" still looks as good as new in Antique White today.
There is one chip/imperfection at front door due to moving elephants in-out.
IMHO and am sticking to it
tsuag10
AG
Also should note here that this dwelling isn't being built with a focus on resale, but we also want to be proud of it to where we can invite people over a lot.

Once we build our main house, this will turn into a guest house/office/entertaining space adjacent to our backyard.
Sea Speed
AG
I think concrete countertops are really cool looking but I have absolutely no insight in to the practicality of them.
tsuag10
AG
I've looked into them and I've come to understand 2 main things:
1. They are naturally very porous and need to be sealed at minimum annually. Low maintenance is big for us because neither of us are good about keeping up with general maintenance.
2. You should probably have a pro make them for you or it will turn out looking super homemade. And by the time you pay a pro to pour them, you probably could have just gotten a basic or mid level granite.
Sea Speed
AG
Wow I would have thought you could seal them and be one and done. I figured there are some epoxy sealants that are pretty hardy and wouldn't need much if any upkeep.
tsuag10
AG
There might be some good sealants out there that will work for a one and done application, but I'm not aware. I'm certainly interested if anyone else knows about this
ChoppinDs40
AG
just get quartz. if you want something unique, you can work with a fabricator on colors and attributes.

My cousin had some quartz made (again, it's manmade) where it had crushed up beer bottles in the flake. Looked really cool with the small glass flakes/pieces in it.
Sea Speed
AG
I have put prefab quartzite in something like 4 bathrooms now and so far so good. Only have about 2 years on em but they have held up to the kids toothpaste abuse well. 10ish foot slabs are like $300. There are a lot ofndiffent colors and patterns.
HeightsAg
Quartz or quartzite? Didn't even know they sold prefab quartzite as it is super high end. And where did you get it?

Btw, I would not recommend quartz for kitchen countertops as it is not heat resistant. Setting a hot pan or pot on it will ruin it.
tsuag10
AG
I'd love to know where you got pre fab quartz. Especially at that price. Please share
tsuag10
AG
That's crazy, I've always heard that quartz is fairly heat resistant. Is that fake news?
Sea Speed
AG
Natural stone gallery in Stafford tx. And I probably put my foot in my mouth. They had both but what we got may have been quartz and I dont knownthe difference and I dont care to look it up. They've got stuff that straight up looks like a geode and the ones that are trendy right now that are white with black streaks through it and the all white prefab counters and then about a billion types of granite that are absolutely wild.

The piece in this photo was i think $295 or $350 and was big enough for the whole counter. The installation was like 600 from a mom and pop installer. I dont really know any under the radar installers so maybe that was a rip off but we have been happy with their work.

HeightsAg
Yeah, it's absolutely fake news. The industry has done a great job with the marketing. Quartz is heat resistant to about 300 degrees but the resin will burn at around 150 degrees. Anything hotter than that will damage the top coat - looks like water rings but brown and can't be repaired. Google it - there are pictures all over the internet. Quartz is also prone to chips at the edges.

Difference between quartzite and quartz is that quartzite is a natural stone whereas quartz is man made. Quartzite is the perfect countertop material because it is beautiful like marble but is much harder and won't stain or etch. Downside is that it is very expensive and often times, stores will pass off dolomite as quartzite when it is really just a harder marble.
tsuag10
AG
Thanks to both of you for the info.
Aggietaco
AG
Trivets are cheap. I've never set a hot pan directly on any countertop.
billyjack2009
kids can be careless
dubi
AG
Silestone
jtp01
AG
How many square feet are you talking about. Realistically the upgrade to granite would not be that expensive, unless the granite guy screws up and replace every piece in the house because his employees used the wrong marking material for layout and those marks won't buff out.

Had that conversation with the builder yesterday. The granite guys came out to "buff" the countertops and complete ruined the finish on them.
ktownag08
AG
Any experience with Dekton?
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
If I looked like you, I wouldn't have mirrors either.
swimmerbabe11
HeightsAg said:

Yeah, it's absolutely fake news. The industry has done a great job with the marketing. Quartz is heat resistant to about 300 degrees but the resin will burn at around 150 degrees. Anything hotter than that will damage the top coat - looks like water rings but brown and can't be repaired. Google it - there are pictures all over the internet. Quartz is also prone to chips at the edges.

Difference between quartzite and quartz is that quartzite is a natural stone whereas quartz is man made. Quartzite is the perfect countertop material because it is beautiful like marble but is much harder and won't stain or etch. Downside is that it is very expensive and often times, stores will pass off dolomite as quartzite when it is really just a harder marble.
I have had this argument before and I didn't know the temps, so thank you.

You'll get away with it on a pan every once in a while, but def not a skillet or something straight off the burner.

I love how butcher's block looks, but I'll probably never willingly do anything but granite, because I am terrible about setting pans on the nearest counterspace available.

swimmerbabe11
Might could do copper?

superunknown
AG
My nephew has done a few epoxy counter tops with plywood or mdf. Incredibly economical so you don't feel bad replacing it or breaking the bank doing a new one. YouTube has a ton of videos that show you how it's done if you're curious.
GrimesCoAg95
AG
I would get granite or quartz if you like it better. It is only 65 sq ft, so it just will not be that much to do nice tops. I considered prefab granite counters for my children's bathrooms, but the cost was not significantly more to just let the countertop folks take care of it. Make sure you find a lower tier stone that you like as that should keep the cost down.

As for you original question, I have experience with the thinner solid surface materials as well as the regular half inch material. It is fine, but I like stone better.

Where is the barndo located? Someone on here may be able to recommend someone.

tsuag10
AG
Thanks for all the input, everyone.

I'm located in New Berlin. Southern Guadalupe county.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.