Whole Home Dehumidifier

2,334 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Aggie71013
redag06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm looking at finally pulling the trigger on a whole home dehumidifier. Located in the swamp known as Houston, so it will get a lot of use obviously during the shoulder months, but also help assist the AC.

I'm pretty sure my AC unit was oversized when the previous owners installed it, and I have done a lot of projects to make that issue even worse, by insulating, new windows, new doors, new roof etc. So now even when the AC is running pretty regualrly during warm months, we rarely get below 60% humiditiy.

Anyone done this? Insight?

Looking at the Aprilaire e080
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
I have one. Very happy with it. I have it set to keep my house at 40% humidity during the summer months.

https://www.lennox.com/products/specifications/hcwhd
P.H. Dexippus
AG
I went with the Ulta-Aire XT105

Ultra-Aire is now Santa Fe Ultra. Prices have definitely gone up.
https://www.sylvane.com/santa-fe-dehumidifiers.html#ultra_series

Make sure you get a hanger kit for noise isolation. I opted not to do fresh air intake, but I have a leaky old house. I probably should have done it anyway for positive pressure. I opted to install round steel duct rather than flex duct. I insulated it by sliding a flex duct insulation sleeve over it after mastic dried. Make sure to install a damper to prevent reverse flow when HVAC runs.
The Fife
I had a bad experience with a couple of Santa Fe dehumidifiers. Their lifespan didn't come close to meeting expectations.

For a whole house dehumidifier that's ducted into one of the HVAC systems I went with a Honeywell DR90 and it's worked out pretty well.
El_duderino
I would definitely do it like AGSPRT04 and go for the optional fresh air intake. Wish I would've purchased the 70 pint back when it was Ultra Air and $200-$300 cheaper. I'm still using the portable style that I have to empty out 1-2 times a day. My house stays around 45%
redag06
It would seem that bringing fresh swampy Houston air in to the house would only make the HVAC & Dehumidifier work harder?
Diggity
AG
how much do the systems run...ballpark?

I have a plug in unit in our master closet, and it does a great job of taking the stress of the AC in that part of the house.
redag06
The unit I posted above runs $1300.
Diggity
AG
redag06 said:

The unit I posted above runs $1300.
Thanks...How much do they tack on for installation?
The Fife
About 1,000 for the one I mentioned a few years ago. Installation was free since I did it
El_duderino
I was quoted $2800 for a 90 pint Honeywell installed a couple years ago
P.H. Dexippus
AG
The Fife said:

I had a bad experience with a couple of Santa Fe dehumidifiers. Their lifespan didn't come close to meeting expectations.

For a whole house dehumidifier that's ducted into one of the HVAC systems I went with a Honeywell DR90 and it's worked out pretty well.

So this thread reminded me to do my spring system check up. Found the blower running but the unit not pulling water. Looks like something is up with the compressor. 3 years without problems, now I get to jack with troubleshooting or shell out for someone else to.
The Fife
Yep, that's how mine died. Granted this was in the crawlspace but still.
tgivaughn
AG
You won't agree but I have thrown good money after bad and once begun, it can be both endless and a bad habit.
Ergo, I would not throw fresh money at a stand alone humidity solution that eats up even more power.
BTW, I was saddled with an oversized 747 loud humid system as well in the day, brother.

The problem is a bad HVAC
New or old, it must be replaced
Finding an ideal, one solution does all deserves money thrown at top-o-line replacement.
Any town South of Bremond's "humidity curtain" deserves the best humidity defense HVAC =
Variable speed HVAC.
Brand: Trane or equal (get proof, even if only Consumer Reports)
Installer: only 5-star rated, otherwise even a top brand can't perform well
Bids: turn a blind eye to this and focus on YEARS of energy savings ... as you have done with house upgrades thus far = kudos
IMHO and am sticking to it
88agswin
AG
If you are in the Cypress/Tomball/Katy/Houston area i would be happy to give you a quote. I own Enviromax Services Inc dba Wise Guys Heating & Cooling 713-466-7555 [url=http://wiseguyscooling.com/][/url]http://wiseguyscooling.com

I would strongly suggest having a heat load run on your house to see what size the system should be based on your upgrades etc. The truth is even here in Houston it's very rare when a dehumidifier is needed if the system is sized properly...especially when you use true variable speed equipment.
redag06
Oh I know I already have an expensive dehumidifier in my variable speed unit, but also know it is oversized.

I'm definitely not in the market to install a new 3.5 ton variable speed unit when I can install a dehumidifier for less than 2k.

But maybe I'm crazy.
88agswin
AG
redag06 said:

Oh I know I already have an expensive dehumidifier in my variable speed unit, but also know it is oversized.

I'm definitely not in the market to install a new 3.5 ton variable speed unit when I can install a dehumidifier for less than 2k.

But maybe I'm crazy.
I understand but please realize this....there is no mfg that makes a 2 speed or variable speed system in 3.5 tons...you simply have a single speed condenser.
redag06
Currently have a 4 ton vs, that was nust me thinking that I would be buying a 3.5 ton going with a new system.
88agswin
AG
redag06 said:

Currently have a 4 ton vs, that was nust me thinking that I would be buying a 3.5 ton going with a new system.
10-4...I am only strongly suggesting the heat load in order to determine just how far oversized you possibly are...We do sell and install dehumidifiers but my main point up front was for clarifying that even in Houston with a properly sized system you shouldn't need a dehumidifier...I have seen people not knowing any better put 5 tons of ac on a 3 ton house completely oblivious to the problems with over sizing...they thought "if I could cool it down fast enough" then my electric bill will be a lot less expensive....again not saying this is you by any means but the stuff we run into is crazy.
El_duderino
What about when there's no need for cooling due to mild temps? I'd think that's when the dehumidifier shines with no call for cooling regardless if it's variable speed hvac or not.

I'm only asking since you've installed countless systems and probably a high number of variable speed units. What's the typical humidity levels on the variable speed system?
Aggie71013
AG
I've got a similar problem to the OP, but even when my AC runs a long time (3 hours straight yesterday because i forced it to run lonf) the humidity still doesn't drop. The lowest humidity level is early morning after it doesn't run all night. Could this be a ducting issue with pulling warm, humid air in from the attic?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.