Windows

2,704 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by tgivaughn
yippee2
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
somebody educate me on replacement windows.

I'm looking to replace single pane in a rent house.

I don't want cheap builder grade ..TIA
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
You might want cheap, builder grade windows after you get your first quote.

I'm guessing this isn't a luxury rental where you want to spend the coin on Architectural windows, correct?

I'm guessing something above builder grade, but below what someone would spend on a custom home.

I'd probably just recommend window world or something like that. Maybe get a quote from the big box stores.
discobrob
AG
Window world. Have replaced 20 windows in 2 houses. Never had a problem.
Roger That
AG
discobrob said:

Window world. Have replaced 20 windows in 2 houses. Never had a problem.

https://texags.com/forums/61/topics/2318887/replies/35909780
yippee2
AG
Should I get vinyl?
Furlock Bones
AG
Yes.
RogerFurlong
You should get vinyl.
Where is the house located? Window World is a franchise and the quality depends on which one you use.
Don't use Home Depot or Lowe's unless you are looking for the cheapest price. Install quality matters a lot.
HockeyAg07
AG
Don't use champion. That place is staffed by botards.
PeekingDuck
AG
Vinyl will give you good efficiency for the cheapest price in a rental like that.
yippee2
AG
Lowe's quoted me prices on Pella 150 series and Relia-Built 3100 Series.

Are either of those acceptable. Is there a preference?

CapCity12thMan
AG
we did energy one windows and they are great. Vinyl, triple paned. A little less than $1000 per. With 33 windows it wasn't cheap but I got a quote from Pella and it was 100K. no thanks.

https://energyonewindows.com/
Martin Cash
AG
RogerFurlong said:

You should get vinyl.
Where is the house located? Window World is a franchise and the quality depends on which one you use.
Don't use Home Depot or Lowe's unless you are looking for the cheapest price. Install quality matters a lot.
Serious? This is Texas. Vinyl will melt. There are much better alternatives.
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left. Ecclesiastes 10:2
jtp01
AG
I'm not sure if the supply chain issues are clearing up, but our windows were 4 MONTHS late, though I'm beginning to believe it was our builder more than anything.
RogerFurlong
What would you recommend?
Martin Cash
AG
RogerFurlong said:

Renewal by Andersen has a composite window that won't warp in Texas heat.
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left. Ecclesiastes 10:2
Roger That
AG
Martin Cash said:

RogerFurlong said:

Renewal by Andersen has a composite window that won't warp in Texas heat.

You're correct, those Andersen windows are built like a tank and look really nice as well. But in the end, you can also afford to replace a quality vinyl window several times for the price Andersen wants for their replacement windows.
RogerFurlong
At like $2k a window I would hope it would last forever. A decent quality vinyl window will not warp unless you're getting temps around 170 degrees. 90% of new builds are going with vinyl for a reason.
Rexter
Superior Windows in Conroe
Aggie71013
AG
Only if you want high pressure sales tactics at a high price. Couldn't get their salesmen out of the house and he was all about prices that were only valid that day. May be a good product but their sales process was like a shady used car dealer.
Ulrich
RogerFurlong said:

At like $2k a window I would hope it would last forever. A decent quality vinyl window will not warp unless you're getting temps around 170 degrees. 90% of new builds are going with vinyl for a reason.

I got a quote from them to replace all the windows and doors a few years back and it was almost cheaper to just build a new house.
Rexter
Aggie71013 said:

Only if you want high pressure sales tactics at a high price. Couldn't get their salesmen out of the house and he was all about prices that were only valid that day. May be a good product but their sales process was like a shady used car dealer.

It was a bit high pressure, but the product is excellent. We're a mile from CSHS and used to be able to hear the stadium stuff on Friday nights, along with dogs barking, cars driving by, and the train horn at night. We no longer hear anything unless it's a very loud car or motorcycle. Our electric bill dropped by an average of $150 a month. They also do (did) 1 yr interest free financing.
tgivaughn
AG
WOW, neighbor reported same after Weatherford Doors/Windows replaced all his w/dbl.pane
excepting the new huge bass speaker disturbances from next door Frat House that ignores frequent police visits
soooo
~ How many SF Living & windows & total cost installed to save $150/month? Impressive!
IMHO and am sticking to it
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.