Tree suggestions for the Austin area?

2,202 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Law Hall 69-72
linuxjon
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Hey everyone!

We just purchased a new construction home in Buda. We're used to having mature trees in our neighborhood and this is certainly a strange feeling. I'd like to plant 1-2 trees in our back yard that would help fill the space, provide some shade, and add a little more color.

I'm thinking Live Oak, but I'm open to other suggestions. We used to have cherry trees and I loved the color, but I don't know how they'd do in this area. I also don't know how large to go. I'd love to find someone to plant a 300 gallon tree and have some shade right away this summer, but I know that has drawbacks.

Lastly- does anyone have suggestions for the best place to shop for this?

Thanks!
87IE
AG
Tree Selector

I like the Texas Ash.
It's Laken Riley, not Lincoln you idiot
TwoMarksHand
AG
I've heard Cedars grow well there.
evan_aggie
AG
There is a tree farm in bastrop that has reasonable prices and install especially if you buy 3 trees. 100 gallon were around $650 a few years ago for 12' tall. Moon valley might charge 2x?

Live oak are awesome but you may not even be in that house when it's mature with shade.

A lot of builders and developers go to Mexican sycamore bc they grow so fast with good shade.

White and Red oak grow faster. I think Live and Bur are both slower.
tgivaughn
AG
Neil Sperry's New book has great ideas and his radio advice works well also when describing more about your planting area.

Live Oaks are one of his "top ten" but my story here is about friends that had large pecan trees, whose nuts they would sell curbside and make enough money to pay for the property taxes each year. Both threes mentioned here are sloe-long-lived so you might want to plant fast-grow-shorter-lived neighbor ala Chinese Pistache to get faster shade & appearance, then as it dies, the Liver Oak has taken its place.

Call Neil
IMHO and am sticking to it
Aggietaco
AG
Hope Valley tree farm in Bastrop has a good selection of live oaks. They will plant as well.

https://hopevalleytreefarm.com/

rather be fishing
AG
tgivaughn said:

Live Oaks are one of his "top ten" but my story here is about friends that had large pecan trees, whose nuts they would sell curbside and make enough money to pay for the property taxes each year.
Pecans lose limbs like crazy, so you'd want to make sure that it won't growing over your roof. At least as long as you're going to own the house.
Dumpster Fire
I bought a Lacey oak from hope valley two years ago. We live in SMTX and it has done well.
txaggie_08
AG
Dumpster Fire said:

I bought a Lacey oak from hope valley two years ago. We live in SMTX and it has done well.

I bought a Lacey Oak for my last place in Midland. I really liked the blue-green leaves. Made a pretty tree. It also grew a little faster than the red oak, live oak or burr oak I had.
ATX_AG_08
AG
Also live in Buda. Planted a red oak a few years back.

We have a lot of clay. Dig an oversized whole and be sure to backfill with good compost.
tgivaughn
AG
College Station, Black Thumb advice, foolproof = Chinese Pistache fast grow, short-lived near a Live Oak, slow growth, loooong life. When fast grow dies, slow growth is mature & shade enough for both

Friends in your area that have a green thumb for pecan report they pay their property taxes, selling the nuts on the curb every year ... if enough trees around.

Best & free pro advice:
https://www.newsradioklbj.com/show/gardening-naturally-with-jeff-ferris/
https://www.newsradioklbj.com/show/the-austin-gardener-with-sheryl-mclaughlin/

Out of range to suggest shopping.

Let us know what you decide!
IMHO and am sticking to it
chick79
AG
Cedar elm
Apache
AG
I'm careful with Live Oaks with the prevalence of Oak Wilt in the area. They've been way overplanted.

I love Mexican Sycamore, but they will get really, really freaking big + dump a ton of leaves. Don't plant within 30' of a house or another tree.

Same goes with Bur Oaks RE leaves & size.

Chinese Pistache has proven to be invasive... love the color but I don't plant them anymore.

I would only plant a Pecan in someone's yard if I didn't like them. Last to leaf out in the spring, first to drop leaves in the fall. Constant mess of limbs, nuts & squirrels. The shade eventually gets so full that you wont' be able to grow any grass underneath. Hard pass unless you have acreage.

Cedar Elms, Chinquapin & Monterey Oaks are my personal favorites. Bigtooth Maples are cool but I don't think they'll work in your Buda soil depending upon where you are. I also like Lacebark Elms.
Some of the larger Crape Myrtle varieties are good for shade (Natchez/Tuscarora) and grow fast.

Also like Bald Cypress, but the knees coming up in the yard can be problematic.

Good luck!
KoolHandLuke
AG
Fan Tex Ash is a possible choice. Fast growing and heat resistant.
Martin Cash
AG
I would never plant any kind of sycamore. Leaves are atrocious. I don't have one, but my neighbor does and I get all of his leaves.

I have a Chinese Pistache that is almost 40 years old. Beautiful shape and color. I hear complaints about it being invasive, which I don't understand. Maybe my tree is gay.

Spanish Oak, Red Oak, Texas Oak are all good, but you will get a ton of acorns.

I'm close to you. I have several pecans that I used to get a good crop from, but now, damn squirrels strip them bare every year.
FincAg
AG
Be proactive and trim your pecans like the guys in Comanche County and you'll keep the limb loss to a minimum.

But we like the Ash, Chinese Pistache, and Chinquapin.
Apache
AG
Quote:

I have a Chinese Pistache that is almost 40 years old. Beautiful shape and color. I hear complaints about it being invasive, which I don't understand. Maybe my tree is gay.
Chinese Pistache are dioecious, which means there are separate male & female trees. (Just like our Ashe Juniper/Cedar Trees and Texas Persimmon) You may have a male tree.

Anyway, the seeds can germinate miles away so it's not immediately apparent.
B-1 83
AG
Quote:

Cedar Elms, Chinquapin & Monterey Oaks
Eot
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
Tree Hugger
AG
I'm a big fan of bur oak and cedar elm.
dodger02
AG
My experience with bur oaks is weird. We planted two at our old house back in 2005. Those things are massive right now. Giant.

We planted one at our current house and in 8 years, it has grown about 18".

Same town. Slightly different soils.
water turkey
Bur oak and Monterrey Oak
Law Hall 69-72
AG
Martin Cash said:

I would never plant any kind of sycamore. Leaves are atrocious. I don't have one, but my neighbor does and I get all of his leaves.

Spanish Oak, Red Oak, Texas Oak are all good, but you will get a ton of acorns.

I'm close to you. I have several pecans that I used to get a good crop from, but now, damn squirrels strip them bare every year.
A pellet gun and traps will take care of the problem, but you have to stay with it. I must have helped two dozen or more of them understand they weren't welcome around my pecan trees last year.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.