Windows

2,445 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Daddy-O5
Daddy-O5
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I almost made a move on Windows early last year but held out, now regretting that decision.... potentially....

Before I go through the hassle of getting a bunch of new quotes, anyone know if windows are getting caught up in the big price hikes as well?
streetfighter2012
AG
I work in the commercial glass/window industry and we saw 3 separate price increases on glass and aluminum throughout 2021.
Whoop Delecto
AG
Daddy-O5
AG
Got a quote from the same company from about one year ago, up 23%.
streetfighter2012
AG
Sorry, but both the lead times and price increases mentioned above check-out with what's happening across the industry. Might be able to find someone who can get things faster or closer to what was priced a year ago but not likely.
Daddy-O5
AG
I'm not mad at you (or my local "window guy"), moreso some of the reasons why the price is being driven up, which I will leave for Forum 16.
Waltrip88
AG
Had a 14 week quote and got them in 12.
But I had to get single hung because they said they have trouble getting the vinyl for double hung.

I had bought windows from them eight years ago and the price went up a couple hundred per window.
ReelDeal
AG
most Window manufacturers are pushing 12-16 wks out right now. That may change with this next round of flurona. We have already had a price increase and are being told to expect another 10-12 % February 1st. If you get anything that is obscure, rounded/arched/ specialty glass, look for longer lead times. If you're looking for window replacements, we typically use Win core for double hung vinyl while Elevate is the best bang for the buck right now, but they are single hung. A standard rectangular opening in brick would run about $400-$500 if you went white 3050 window no grids. Elevate would be the cheaper end.
Daddy-O5
AG
Thanks for the feedback. Any thoughts on Burris Vinyl windows? I've been going back and forth between vinyl/aluminum etc. Had a company come out and quote to install these. By far the cheapest of anything we've received.
ReelDeal
AG
Don't know about them, but would advise to use Vinyl or composite/fiberglass. Aluminum core is okay, when wrapped in vinyl, but aluminum alone will not get you energy efficient. They will conduct and sweat. Also, the aluminum option(which used to be dirt cheap) is now almost the same (if not more) than vinyl due to the high cost of raw aluminum.

So just spoke with Burris and they are apparently dealing through Enercon. They will send a price list to me briefly as I am out of that territory. He said they are experiencing 14-16 wks lead.
RogerFurlong
You can get aluminum windows that have a thermal break and will not sweat, but they aren't quite as efficient as vinyl
MS08
AG
Check out Window World. They are stationed in Houston and are economical. Lead times are what they are but I think they can get it done in 12 weeks. But lead times are volatile and will not get better as the year goes on and gets into summer months. Now is the time.
2wealfth Man
AG
14 week lead time on quote last week
CapCity12thMan
AG
Recommend EnergyOne Windows
HouAggie
AG
Thoughts on Andersen Windows?
Daddy-O5
AG
Probably going to pull the trigger on some vinyl windows through Woodys windows in Tomball. Owner is class of '76 and by all accounts so far likes to help out other Aggies. Still a 14 week lead time but I don't see that improving significantly anytime soon. I'll report back any relevant findings as I go through the process. Likely signing the contract next week.
MS08
AG
Not confident the big brand name is worth the cost that comes along with it.
akaggie05
AG
Had every window in my house redone with Andersen 100 series windows about a year ago. My understanding is that they're a "not quite wood, not quite vinyl" compromise. Something about recovered sawdust from their mills being formed into new frames with polymer binding agents. Cost was on par with Jeld-Wen. So far so good, but it wouldn't have taken much for me to be impressed, with the upgrade coming from original 1974 aluminum single-pane windows.
billyjack2009
Were you happy with them?
Daddy-O5
AG
Yes, very. Timeline was as described, good communication, nice guy. The installer was also very good. 30 windows replaced in 2 days. Cleaned up very well.

Minor "issue" with the installation, which was simply minor caulking touch up that needed to be done after the fact. Was addressed quickly, and very happy with final product.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.