Converting existing sprinkler system to drip - Anybody have experience in this?

933 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by craig09
ME92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hi All,

I'm converting a circuit of my existing sprinkler system to drip irrigation for some raised planting beds.

I've never worked with drip irrigation stuff before. Does anybody have experience with this and is willing to share some insights into this process?

Thanks!
mAgnoliAg
AG
ME92 said:

Hi All,

I'm converting a circuit of my existing sprinkler system to drip irrigation for some raised planting beds.

I've never worked with drip irrigation stuff before. Does anybody have experience with this and is willing to share some insights into this process?

Thanks!

Replace valve with pressure regulated and filtered valve, cap all heads and use existing lateral piping to plumb drip connection in. Run the lines using sod staples, unless you're referring to micro sprayers for the raised beds.

For an easier do it yourself job you can get retro conversion kits that you install in place of one or two of the existing heads on the station instead of replacing the valve. They come with fittings to tie in drip and everything but aren't as reliable as replacing the valve.
craig09
AG
What MagnoliAg said but also make sure you buy your drip tubing and fittings from an irrigation supply house and not a box store. The crap fittings I've seen people work with from box stores is just ridiculous and frustrating when you can get cheap, but proper and effective insert fittings at a supply house. The key is using 17mm tubing and fittings. A lot of box store supplies will say 1/2" and they will use external compression fittings, but it's all junk.

I'm not going to say you HAVE to buy them at your local SiteOne, but you should buy them at your local SiteOne.
ME92
AG
craig09 said:

What MagnoliAg said but also make sure you buy your drip tubing and fittings from an irrigation supply house and not a box store. The crap fittings I've seen people work with from box stores is just ridiculous and frustrating when you can get cheap, but proper and effective insert fittings at a supply house. The key is using 17mm tubing and fittings. A lot of box store supplies will say 1/2" and they will use external compression fittings, but it's all junk.

I'm not going to say you HAVE to buy them at your local SiteOne, but you should buy them at your local SiteOne.

I'm glad that you replied. I just got a bunch of stuff from the big box place that might just be returned.

There's currently pop up sprayers on the circuit I want to convert. The laterals are 3/4 inch pvc line but the pop up sprayers are connected to them by 1/2 inch risers.

A couple of the pop ups are going to be used for some raised beds and the other pop ups will be converted to something that will water a few cypress trees.

I found a SiteOne near me so I'll check them out.

Thanks for your help!
craig09
AG
You're not going to want pop up sprays and drip in the same zone. They use different emission / precipitation rates, so each type needs different run times. If you combine the two then you'll either have saturated grass or dry beds. 3/4" lateral lines to 1/2" risers is pretty much industry standard. The retro fit heads to drip kits are set up with 1/2" inlets like standard pop ups.
Just out of curiosity, which SiteOne is closest to you?
ME92
AG
I'm near the Sun Valley, California location. Kinda far out here.

I'm assuming that it's ok to just show up at SiteOne and have a look at what's there? I reckon that I have several different types of items I need: conversion kits for some pop-ups, something for a raised planting bed, and the filter/pressure reducer for the whole circuit.
craig09
AG
Yeah, just go in and tell them what you're trying to accomplish and they'll ask some questions to help narrow down exactly what you do and don't need. You got this!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.