Wood Fireplace to Gas Log

1,541 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by mosdefn14
mosdefn14
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Currently we have a traditional brick/masonry wood burning fireplace / chimney. Looking to convert it to gas for convenience. Have been to 2 shops and am getting conflicting advice. TexAgs knows stuff, so who has advice here? Both seemed to be ~$1000 + plumbing/electrical.

Shop #1 pushed a vent-less gas-log insert with a blower. I understood we would just keep the flue closed, would need electricity ran to the fireplace for the blower, and this set-up would put off a bit of heat.

Shop #2 pushed a vented gas-log set-up. I understood this one would simply replace the current log rack with a rack/burner/ceramic log set-up, and then add some lava rock & such for aesthetic. I would need to open the flue when burning, meaning heat would go up & out like it does with a traditional fire. I would keep the current screen/glass doors that we have.
Bonfire1996
AG
Shop #2. I would never vent burning natural gas into a home, ever. Heat will go up, yes, but if you get a good ceramic log set, it will radiate heat outward.
agz win
AG
Search for Firebacks to add to the firebox walls and that will direct more heat into the room rather than lose up the chimney.

I just changed up my old gas logs to fireglass in a vented fireplace and will add a Fireback when I find one I like and right size.

Edit…didn't intend to put that icon.
Caliber
AG
There are pro's and con's to each type.

I prefer vented because it typically has a prettier flame (doesn't have to be as efficient to not produce bad stuff) and that it doesn't put out as much heat. In Houston, a fireplace that produced much heat wouldn't see a lot of use. I am currently looking at firebacks of various types though due to the freeze. During the freeze, we wrapped several pizza stones in foil and it really helped with heat output.

I would have concerns about using the ventless types over longer periods, especially during something like the freeze this year. Concerned on CO buildup, etc.
mosdefn14
AG
Thanks for the replies. Sounds like ventless does much better for heat, but that's not the primary purpose here. Look/ambiance is - sounds like a vented gas-log is the way to go.

Thanks for the tip on Fireback.
Caliber
AG
mosdefn14 said:

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like ventless does much better for heat, but that's not the primary purpose here. Look/ambiance is - sounds like a vented gas-log is the way to go.

Thanks for the tip on Fireback.
If you want the look/ambiance, vented is 100% the way to go.

You will still be able to sit by the fire and feel the heat and you'll be able to use it on all sorts of days just for the look because it doesn't throw in tons of heat.
txaggie79
AG
Did this same thing last year, and considered vented vs vent-less. Decided to go with the vented. Bought a 30" set, Peterson Real Fyre. We have been very pleased.

During last February's cold snap, we were in a "rolling outage" area and our gas logs really helped. While I realize that most of the heat goes up the chimney, they do radiate quite a bit of heat into our living room. And, they look pretty realistic with the larger flames and glowing embers.

Know some friends who have the vent-less logs, and they like them. But, have some in-laws with vent-less logs and they have had noting but trouble. Fumes causing headaches. (Have had the "pros" come out and check, but still have issues. So, they just don't use them.)

Installed my vented log set myself because I am pretty picky about these type of things, especially dealing with gas. Took me a few hours but it wasn't very hard. Opted for a traditional pilot light type valve, rather than electronic ignition and could not be happier.

My vote would be a nice vented log set.
Texker
AG
+1 on vented for all the reasons mentioned. I just couldn't take the leap of faith on a non-vented set so we've had a nice vented log set for 14 years.
tgivaughn
AG
If you are in Brazos Co, then go with whatever AAA Overhead Door & Fireplace says - they are the pros & not exclusive to builders as many others are.

Always vent gas unless it is Direct Vent fireplace insert - the most efficient, in that the flue provides outside combustion air as well as exhaust and many more ways to locate exit than most

Now if venting up your wood burn flue, then ventless or not logs become moot and more interest in the BTUs provided since Feb 6F may return sooner than later

So I would avoid Mr. Ventless but OK to buy ventless so long as you vent it.
Once upon a time, Reader's Digest did quite the article of what unvented gas does inside a home, from plant to people ... UGH. Of course, technology now is improved but ... who needs the risk?

On a tangent subject, you'll note that range hoods vent better and healthier if exit is outside, never inside. Further, commercial .. and some high end residential .. hoods have "make-up air" port inlets to improve flow, waste less conditioned air. Seems like we are back talking similar to Direct Vent operations again?
IMHO and am sticking to it
fka ftc
Going to gas logs for convenience, are you looking for heat or ambiance? Vented gas typically pull in outside air and use it to burn the gas then venting the "exhaust" back outside. From this option, you can go for a cool looking, modern, lots of rocks and crystal and nice logs... or you can add one with its own fan that pulls in air from from room around the enclosed firebox then blows back into room.

Ventless to me seems like heating your house by running your gas stove full blast. Doesn't seem right and you are not heating anything with it. You are just creating a potential unsafe situation for ambiance.

We went with a wood stove insert (link below). We used during the Feb freeze and it kept the bulk of the house warm. The remarkable thing is these actually qualify for certain energy efficiency credits (don't tell AOC). Once you get the fire rolling, the fan will kick in and produce all the hot air you want.

It also burns most woods down to a fine ash. We burned the better part of 2 cords of hickory, oak with some pinion mixed in. We filled up a little less than a 5 gallon buck of ash.

For heating a house, this is a great alternative. Works like a direct vent in that the air fueling the firebox is from outside and vents to your flue. Then a fan will pull in air at bottom and exits top. There is an option to add a duct from unit to your central air then you just turn on your fan and leave off your furnace.

These units are more typical in the northern reaches of our continent, but after the freeze we had I will always ensure we have ample firewood and whiskey and paper books.

Edited to Add: This also uses an insulated flue requiring much less of an opening and likely could use existing flue cutout to roof. Just another option to consider.
"The absence of the word accountability is not the same as wanting no accountability" -unknown

"You can never go wrong by staying silent if there is nothing apt to say" -Walter Isaacson
Wearer of the Ring
AG
I'm trying to find someone in the Houston area that does these installations. Got a suggestion?
FJB
mosdefn14
AG
Since we don't have gas in the house (thanks Jimmy Carter) we had a plumber run a stub to the outside of the chimney and we set a 40lb tank out there. Sunbelt near us fills a 40lber for $25.

So, after consulting with 2 different plumbers and a chimney sweep, all 3 basically said to buy whatever shop #1 in OP recommended. They said they'd sell me anything, but strongly recommended a ventless log set. They had 3 brands to pick from, and we went with one from Monessen that is actually rated as an indoor (ventless) heater. So far, pretty happy with it. For reference, this website shows them all in the $1100 range, but the shop was around $850.

https://www.monessenhearth.com/vent-free-gas-log-sets
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.