Fireplace: adding to existing living room

2,288 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by FincAg
FincAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Our designer friend is trying to steer my wife toward a sleek modern "fireplace" that to me just does not seem worth it. We have a rather useless corner between a long wall and the large front windows in our living room (see poorly drawn and not to scale picture).

When my wife and I decided to redo the room, smooth walls, update can lights and fan, replace front door, add built in low entertainment cabinets, ect the idea of a simple fireplace in the corner for heat and ambiance came to mind. Our designer friend agreed and planted the concept of a square corner fireplace.

At first I was dead set on a wood burning unit. I have an offset for smoking; we love to use our firepit outside; the sound of a crackling fire is so relaxing. That being said, we have a small place with little indoor storage and my wife would rather me not haul logs in the winter from the back of the house through to the front living room. So since we already have a natural gas home, we thought maybe we just go with gas. If we want smoke and crackle we would just go outside and hang around the firepit.

I began looking for a corner facing gas unit and came across the Montigo Divine H38CL/CR. I would still want to have an open firebox, not exclusively behind a glass window but the option was there, and go with the wood like logs. This is a direct vent unit.

Come to find out our designer was thinking about an ethanol insert like the Flex Corner Insert. She still suggested placing an overhead column similar to the Montigo Divine, but this option would not require a gas line or any venting.

Am I crazy or do ethanol units look like a cosmetic only large candle? Has anyone use either one of these brands or units?

-I I- indicate doorways
------ dotted lines would be fireplace footprint
barnacle bob
AG
Location?
FincAg
AG
East Dallas post war 1955 single story brick.
barnacle bob
AG
I have a very similar situation (1958 home), and considering the same. I asked location because I was going to recommend a showroom, but I'm in Houston.

It really helped me to see a variety of units in person. I also enjoy a real fire and some units were definitely superior for that realistic effect. I think seeing them in person will help you make the determination and you might learn about some features you would not have otherwise considered.
Animal Eight 84
AG
barnacle bob said:

I have a very similar situation (1958 home), and considering the same. I asked location because I was going to recommend a showroom, but I'm in Houston.

It really helped me to see a variety of units in person. I also enjoy a real fire and some units were definitely superior for that realistic effect. I think seeing them in person will help you make the determination and you might learn about some features you would not have otherwise considered.
I'm also interested, what show room please?
Bald Eagle
I did two remodel jobs in two big houses several years ago and took out three gas operated fireplace. I thought about putting one on our patio but never got around to it so they are still sitting in my shop and I need to get rid of them. 2 of them are Heatilator model SL950TR units with gas logs and glass fronts. The other one is a corner unit with decorative screen front. It is a Gas Tec brand. They were all in working condition when I took them out. Asking $200 for each of the Heatilator and $250 for the Gas Tec unit. If you have priced new ones you know this is rediculously cheap but I just need them gone. I need the room they take up and at 81 years old I won't be using them myself like I thought I would. Call me or test if you have any questions. Thanks Jerry Wolf
barnacle bob
AG
Animal Eight 84 said:

barnacle bob said:

I'm also interested, what show room please?

Tru-lite off 34th
Bonfire1996
AG
FincAg said:

East Dallas post war 1955 single story brick.
Go to Fireside Hearth & Home on GWB tollway just north of I-30. They install tens of thousands of fireplaces annually.

I would not install anything vent free in a home, ever.

Your open faced unit is not a direct vent. Direct vents only come with glass face. Yours is a B vent.

Direct vents put off the most heat no matter what. They are designed that way.

Montigo is a premium brand but they aren't the experts in your demographic. Want a big unit in the lobby of a hotel, like the Omni in Dallas? That's a Montigo unit. Yours will have a hard time getting serviced as the only play that serviced them just sold to a vertically integrated different manufacturer - Hearth & Home.

You need the Heat n Glo 7x or 9x depending on size. I'd place it on the big wall and mount the TV over it. Puts out great heat, a gorgeous flame pattern, and a modern ceramic black backing that reflects the flame light. It's amazing. I put the 9x in my remodel in the Hill country. It's a slimmer unit so it will fit in your corner wall or side wall.
Bonfire1996
AG
Also, don't install a used unit. No warranty and your insurance might deny a claim if something happens.
FincAg
AG
Thank you for the recommendation. We spoke with John from Protex Supply but as you mentioned, he could only point us to a couple commercial Montigos L/R corner units that they have installed. I will try Fireside Hearth & Home. With 8' ceilings, a modern tv over a traditional fireplace would have us looking a bit too high. I believe this is something more to our specs. https://www.heatnglo.com/fireplaces/gas/see-through/corner-gas-fireplace
FincAg
AG
Maybe I am going crazy, but I'm not seeing a Fireside Hearth & Home in the DFW area.

Never mind. Trinity Fireside was their older store name.
tgivaughn
AG
Haha but I admire your IQ and adjustments to original idea that we dismiss as we grow older (wood fires). These are best outside, as you said.

Montigo Divine H38CL/CR. is the IQ compromise, with applause your wood-brain figured out the ideal gas-pampering solution. This is as far as you need to go away from inside wood (w/termite as times if not bugs) and ashes that start fires when dumped improperly, heat up the chimney.

So here the designer and you must part ... it is suspect at times that designers will sometimes live vicarious lives through others' lifestyles that can afford what's in vogue among designers & want to brag about having one installed for a client.

Since the Feb Texas freeze, a big demand for fireplaces in designs now.
On acreage with plenty of fallen wood to gather + what's been cleared for new house & no-electricity freeze potential, the young thin k wood fireplace as off-the-grid ... but they can stand the 6F cold when dumping ashes and gathering more wood from under the snow.

So long as you don't need AC power to light a propane/gas fireplace, you are better off than this, so long as the propane keeps coming and whatever flumes wander inside are certainly a bit better than the wood smoke that shortened the life of cavemen.
IMHO and am sticking to it
FincAg
AG
Hey Bonfire, you seem to have done your research. What is your take on Superior and Majestic brands?
one MEEN Ag
AG
Superior has been around. There's a 20 year old superior gas fireplace in my house. Runs just fine.
Bonfire1996
AG
FincAg said:

Hey Bonfire, you seem to have done your research. What is your take on Superior and Majestic brands?

Both are decent brands, with Majestic being more on the cheaper side. Given the small size of the room, any unit is going to put out plenty of heat for you. I'd pick the unit that gives you the best flame pattern. Pick the one that looks the best when turned on.

A word of advice, it takes 10-15 minutes for the flame to heat up the unit enough to get the mature flame pattern. When it's switched on, the flame is clear/blue until the unit is fully heated up. It isn't for 10-15 minutes before you see the pretty, yellow flame.

The best in the business is Heat n Glo.
FincAg
AG
We were not thrilled with the lack of design options and overall bulkiness of the frame on the left facing two sided fireplaces by heat-n-glo. Montigo also didn't have ember effects or a black backing option.

Has anyone used Faber? I see videos from some retailers in TN and GA as well as Europe but nothing in Texas. Thoughts?

https://www.faber.glendimplexamericas.com/en-us/matrix-and-e-matrix-series/matrix-two-sided-built-gas-fireplace-left-facing-33-x-26#x-fmg3726l
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.