Pocket hose

1,239 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by planoaggie123
Milwaukees Best Light
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Are these junk? I think they must be junk, but I am very intrigued by them. I am taking about the little hoses that shrink up when not in use. I don't know what else to call them. I have a small space with a hose bib that I don't really want to hang a fifty footer and 25 footers are just enough to piss you off.

*this is not the general board.
The Collective
AG
So, we have two Flexihose - we only use them to water pots and other general use like spraying something off. They are fine and seem durable - watch sharp edges when stretching it out. I wouldn't drag them around the yard constantly with a sprinkler or anything like that.

This is the brand I have used. Both have seen 2 years worth of action.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B085LXFH7R/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1
planoaggie123
AG
So i have 2 "Pocket Hose" Silver Bullets. I have had them for 2 years and no real issues yet. I do think the hardware is not as well made as other "traditional" hoses and I believe that will be the first thing to go. However, I really enjoy how small it gets when not in use and that benefit alone I am willing to buy a new one every 3 or 4 or 5 years...if it comes to that.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Pocket-Hose-Silver-Bullet-3-4-in-Dia-x-50-ft-Standard-Duty-Expandable-Water-Hose-13397-6/306703479

As mentioned, you have to be careful with sharp corners / edges as I do think they could rip but again that is a low risk for me and worth the ability to not take up space....
Aggiehunter34
S
Have 3 and love them. For what I use them for they are so much better than a traditional hose and shrink up nicely to have a smaller footprint. As everyone said above watch for sharp corners, but you have to do that with a regular hose as well.
Garrelli 5000
AG
The only issue I've had with mine is the rubber collar on one end pulled away from the brass connection. It doesn't prevent it from working, just makes it feel flimsy.

They're awesome for portability. Not that hoses are heavy, but the flex hose is so light it is nice to just bunch it up in your hand and fold it over a hook in the garage when not in use. Super quick to grab and go for quick tasks w/out dealing with a regular hose.

I have one attached at the corner of the house now in the beds to quickly water a new tree every other day. Because they're so flimsy it just bunches up next to a boxwood when not in use. A regular hose would be a wrestling match every time you want to maneuver it out to pull it over to the tree.

I still have a regular 100 foot heavy duty hose mounted to a rolling cart that I use for heavier duty tasks, but the flex hose gets more regular usage.

Edit: Additionally where a normal hose will kink when twisted, the flex doesn't. It'll gradually get shorter and slowly diminish the water supply, but it never straight up kinks and stops flow altogether. If you notice it twisting and shortening its an easy flick of the wrist to unwind.
BQ84 -ORP
AG
We have several 75' Silver Bullet hoses and they work great. Even the neighbors started using them after they saw how much easier they were to use.

I also put a cheap 1/4 turn valve on the end so the hose stays full when we watering the yard. That way the hose doesn't shrink while repositioning the sprinklers.
HeightsAg
For you guys who have the flex hoses, do you leave them out in the yard or back in the garage after use?
planoaggie123
AG
In the yard 24/7. Even during the freeze. No issues.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.