Running natural gas line to patio

1,622 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Garrelli 5000
PlanoAg98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm looking to run a natural gas line to my patio gazebo. This would be for a patio heater and BBQ grill. Any tips or pros/cons? I may also use this in the future for a hot tub/pool heater.
akaggie05
AG
Be sure you plan ahead for the future demand hooked up to the line. There are charts out there that spell out the minimum pipe diameter based on run length and load in BTUs. You may also need to have your gas meter upgraded to a larger capacity unit if you go much beyond the typical residential demand of furnaces and water heaters.

For reference, I had a 400K BTU pool heater installed earlier this year. They ran a new 1.5" dedicated line (poly pipe) branched off at the meter and buried all the way to the pool equipment pad, then ran a smaller line from there back to the grill/heater hookup at the patio.

I had to have Atmos come out and upgrade my meter to a larger size (they don't charge for this, although I've heard some other gas companies do). With everything running, I believe I may be right at the limit of what the new meter can handle. For additional capacity I would likely have to upgrade service to 2 PSI (up from the normal 0.5 PSI). This is straightforward but requires 2 lb regulators at each appliance.
Garrelli 5000
AG
If you're already paying to have the line run you might consider enough to power an NG generator as well.

If I were spending your money
PlanoAg98
AG
Quote:

If you're already paying to have the line run you might consider enough to power an NG generator as well.

Good idea but my NG generator will be next to the house. No reason to place it out by the patio.

Garrelli 5000
AG
Awesome. When we built in 2019 we completely forgot to pre-plumb and pour concrete for an NG generator until we were so far into the build that there was zero savings to do it at that point in time.

Really regretted that mistake in February. We would have been demi-gods in our neighborhood
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.