High Amp Fan Controller for Whole House Fan?

834 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by evan_aggie
evan_aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We have a 1949 home that has a whole house fan.

It works really well on days where it is 60-75, but it is on a switch on/off. It is very powerful and loud at full speed.

I don't know the specs, but I was looking at other examples of 32-36" fans and it seems like most can draw anywhere between 2.5A up to 4.8A.

Is there anything I'm missing if I swap out the switch with a high-amp fan controller?

Grainger Fan Controller for High Amperage
UmustBKidding
Unfortunately lots missing. Ac motors come in many types and starting strategies. If your motor is as old as you indicate it could very well be using a centrifugal start switch which requires a minimum speed to cut out the start winding. So while there is a chance they triac controlled phase control you linked could work, chances are likely better that it wont or it will fail to start or be very loud at reduced conduction angles. Without knowing what type motor you have any thing i say would be a guess. Typical strategy to reduce speed of this type of fan was adjust the pulley shives to modify the ratio.
evan_aggie
AG
Thanks! I'm going to climb up in the attic today and take a quick look.

I'll update the thread with the info.
tgivaughn
AG
Odds are - like ours - 1/2HP belted to 36" fan ~6-7amps
Employed 1st in 1975 and still kicking after two belts

Gotta say that ours may be loud but it really didn't move air well unless at full power, so ON-OFF switch is our choice.

Noise problems could be loose mounting to framing, dirty blades (off center rumbling). loose motor bracket
Some report installing rubber or foam gaskets between fan housing & framing
IMHO and am sticking to it
evan_aggie
AG
Here is a pic. Sorry I took forever to go up there!
evan_aggie
AG

Looking at an 8 amp control with the comments:

"This device uses a triac type scr to control the speed of specific types of motors. Manufacturer's spec sheet lists shaded pole, permanent split capacitor, and universal (AC-DC) motors."

I don't know which this would be?

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.