Cost Estimate

1,915 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Aggie71013
HoustonAg12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Have a family friend who does remodels for a living doing some work on my house in Houston area. His crew is painting my entire house except closets (2,450sf). Walls grey. Ceilings, trim and doors white (everything is currently beige). He is also redoing my countertops with 2 slabs of Calcutta, the island he is taking it from a dual level to a single level with breakfast bar. He is also redoing all the backsplash with a white tile in the Herringbone look.

Anyone guess what this should run me?
Tom Cardy
AG
Are you me? Having this done at my house, but in stages. Just finished painting main areas today, expect that portion to run about $2,200 for labor/materials.

It wouldn't surprise me if you ended up 10k+ for what you're talking about. Depends what kind of deal your contractor is going to cut you, but open market quotes for that would likely be in that range.
TXCityGirl
This is a great question. Was looking at a home that needs some updates and I was curious how much a full interior paint job runs these days.
BrazosDog02
AG
My buddy and I painted a ladies kitchen walls and trim for just under $1,000. That was 4 years ago and we bid it low because we wanted the job as it was a friend. This was using premium paint and our professional expertise. Walls...trim...that's it. Probably less than 300 sq feet. I wouldn't charge less today.

You can work the math from there. Lol. Again, that wasn't using some bull**** Behr paint from Home Depot....It was Sherwin Williams.

If you snag paint from Home Depot and some dudes to go with it, you can probably do your whole house for the same money...maybe not...those guys know what stuff costs.

Yeah, I'd figure $10,000 easy, if it's less, try to find out where there are cutting corners and decide if you're cool with it.

Find out if he is masking things off with painter's tape. If he is, he doesn't get to charge that kind of money. Real painters don't use tape. Just kidding. Kinda.
HoustonAg12
AG
You talking just the paint job right?

Paint job when he broke it down was around $9.5k using Sherwin Williams Paint.
htxag09
AG
$9,500 to paint?!?!

We're doing a kitchen reno and doing two slabs of quartz: roughly $2,250 Including demo, around $40/sqft. Backsplash is around $1,250, $25/sqft with $13 of that going to the material.
HoustonAg12
AG
It's an entire house, trim and all. That takes time.

And what kind of quartz are you buying? Just bought 2 slabs from a wholesaler for $2k/slab. We went for the more expensive Calcutta though
htxag09
AG
It's one of the lower mid level quartz's. Think a level 3 or 4 from Arizona tile. We really liked one called portofino Classico that was double the cost but also out of stock for a few months.
htxag09
AG
And I still think 9500 is way high. What would they charge for just the walls and you do the trim? We aren't doing the entire house, but all of downstairs then all new baseboards (were also doing all new floors), sherwin Williams paint, and we're at $2-2.5 for paint. Hard to break out because it also includes drywall work patching some holes as well as lots of touch up paint for things like new recessed lights where old fixtures were.
Tom Cardy
AG
Our quote on all trim (baseboard, crown, chair guards in a couple rooms) for 2300sqft was $2k
HoustonAg12
AG
Does yours include the doors? They are sanding and repainting 27 interior doors for me as well and doing ceilings…didn't see you mention those two in your quote..

We will see what it comes down to but this guy quoted it based off of taking 2 weeks, 3 painters (at $200/day), plus materials.

They have worked for me before and have done fantastic work so we will see how it goes.
rondis23
AG
We are currently remodeling our 2,700 sq ft living home as we speak. Everything is getting primed and painted- Sherwin Williams products. Ceilings, walls, trim, and all new cabinets in bathrooms, kitchen, and laundry room. With material included we are just under 10k. We are using my father in laws painting crew- he is a builder.
rondis23
AG
HoustonAg, I think your quote is good. It does take time I agree. We just finished our 2nd week of painting today, and they told us it will easily be another week before they are done.
htxag09
AG
I definitely missed the doors. But man that just seems crazy to me. The price and the time. Maybe that's in line. I just don't think I could eat paying that much for paint. I'd do a couple doors a weekend myself……
BrazosDog02
AG
HoustonAg12 said:

You talking just the paint job right?

Paint job when he broke it down was around $9.5k using Sherwin Williams Paint.

I mean, that sounds about right, man.
Aggie71013
AG
I paid similar for about a 2 week job in 2019. Painted 75% of the walls, a bunch of doors, crown, trim, cabinets in three bathrooms, and wood paneling in gameroom. Thought it was expensive, but good painting takes time which is money.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.