Seeding Bluebonnets?

1,993 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by AgDadx2
nai06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Has anyone done this before? I am looking to seed a small field area of about 1500 sqft. I think I still have time to spread seed but I wasn't sure if I needed to prep the area first or just go out there and toss it out. I also have no idea of how much seed to buy. I was guessing a pound but I am really in the dark here.
FarmerJohn
AG
Most wildflower seed mixtures that I've looked at recommend turning them into the soil. But as I see it, these are wildflowers and it's not like nature does that. For bluebonnets, may not even be needed. (See link below) I haven't followed through, but in my mind I would gladly accept less flowers in exchange to having to do all that work or disturbing plants that are already established. I still want some wild look to it. I do think this is the perfect time to do it and I would suggest to just do spread them and see what happens.

Lupine Planting Guide
docb
AG
I will periodically add seed to the field in front of my house. I just throw them out there and then shred the field with my tractor. Seems to work out well. I usually shred it this time of the year even if I don't plant to allow the bluebonnets to get above the grass.
agz win
AG
This is my resource. Now is the time to prep and put out the seeds. Better the prep, better the results. Spreading them mixed with some dirt and raking them in helps. There are maroon bluebonnets but keep them separated from the blue ones as they will lose their distinct color.

https://www.wildseedfarms.com/
Spore Ag
Have heard mixed reviews about scarification of the seed whether freezing them or shaking with gravel. Think also one needs patients as the bluebonnets may not come out the first year.
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
I've been looking at doing this for about 3 acres in my front yard. Anyone have a good source for buying seeds in bulk?
nai06
AG
I was looking at this place
https://www.johnstonseed.com/product/texas-bluebonnets/

the only downside is that the bluebonnet seeds aren't scarified yet so you would have to do that yourself.

I took a look at the area I am trying to seed and I grossly underestimated how big it is. Its nearly 8000 sqft so that means im looking at around 5lbs and boy does that add up quick. I was thinking I could get it done for under $100
Ikanizer
AG
Now is a good time to plant wildflowers. I had pretty good luck using Starburst Blend from Turner Seeds in Breckenridge. Ground contact for the seeds is really important. I shredded a patch as low as I could then used a disc with blades oriented straight so they didn't disturb the ground too much then dragged a chain harrow over it a few times. I used a fertilizer spreader to spread the seeds. Then I drove my ATV over the seed bed to enhance seed/ground contact. Bluebonnets germinate in the fall and then come back in the spring. The first year I got about 10 bluebonnets but other flowers came up incredibly thick. Excuse any mistakes on terminology I'm trying to reinvent myself as a farmer.
AgDadx2
I have had excellent luck with bluebonnet seeds from the Wildseed Farm, just casting them on the ground. They prefer sandy, well-drained soil.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.