Leak under sink

873 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by planoaggie123
aTm2004
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So, my wife went up to the Jack-and-Jill bathroom to put away some towels, and then she yelled down that the sinks were full of water. I walked up there to find both of the sinks almost completely full. I looked under the sinks and saw where the AC condensation was draining into one of them, so that's what was backing up, but the clog was still there.

I ran a snake down both drains, but I was never able to get it to go down the actual drain pipe...just up and out of the other sink. So, I decided to get my shop vac and get the water out, then pour some Drain-O down the sinks then run water to fill them both up and get it into the actual clog. Worked pretty well as it was slowly draining in about half an hour, but still needed work, so I decided to pull the drain down on one of them and take a plunger to the other. Success! Both sinks are draining fine now.

So, since I had everything out, I decided to take a look to make sure everything was OK, and then I saw a couple of drops of water under one of the sinks. I looked around to see where it was coming from, and it was coming from the handle where you turn on the cold water. When I turned it off, a couple of drops would drip down and that was it. Didn't do it on the hot or the other sink.

Here's a pic of where it's coming from. Any ideas on the fix? I'm assuming there's a seal that's worn or maybe something just needs to be tightened. The house was built in '97 and the upstairs bathrooms are still original and good shape, and given we have 3 young kids, not in a hurry to redo them yet.

SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Do the drips originate from the brass threads with the white plastic nut, or do they originate from the brass nut on the copper supply line?

If it's the brass nut, then you can easily swap that out with a new flex hose supply line. Just March the size for the faucet and valve in wall.

If it is from under the white plastic, it could be an issue in the faucet handle.
This message has been approved by Brad, Jerry and Mitch..
aTm2004
AG
White plastic piece.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Depending on type of faucet. Could be a bad cartridge, o ring, seat or stem valve. Water is leaking in the handle and dripping down the threads and under the white retention nut.
aTm2004
AG
That's what I was thinking. I'll pull the handle off tomorrow to see if I can see what's going on. Just wanted to check from those more knowledgeable than I.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Not sure I qualify as that. I've just replaced a lot of those faucets the last couple years as our house was built in 80's and had original brass fixtures in every bathroom… lots of drips, cursing and fixing. Lol

Good luck
planoaggie123
AG
Early 90s home and we have already fixed 2 in the past year and have 1 that we just don't bother fixing until our remodel.

I find replacing easier than fixing most of the time...
aTm2004
AG
The faucets in all of the bathrooms outside of the master (has been totally remodeled) look to be Moen Monticello's, which look to be pretty good faucets, so I'd like to keep them.
planoaggie123
AG
aTm2004 said:

The faucets in all of the bathrooms outside of the master (has been totally remodeled) look to be Moen Monticello's, which look to be pretty good faucets, so I'd like to keep them.

Completely get it. Ours were originals. They were nice but super worn exterior so just deciding to move on from them one at a time....
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.