Foam insulation in existing home

13 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by TXAGcommenter
pattybrhg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Cross posted on Aggieland board. Looking in BCS area.

I looked through some older threads, but it looks like a lot of the companies either aren't there anymore or no longer do this. I have two questions.

First, does anyone have anyone they've used that they'd recommend?

Second, I've read about needing to get a whole home dehumidifier or a two speed HVAC. For a not-so-handyman, what does that entail?
JP76
Ted Dement

979 777 8977

Jason_InfinityRoofer
pattybrhg said:

Second, I've read about needing to get a whole home dehumidifier or a two speed HVAC. For a not-so-handyman, what does that entail?

It entails calling a qualified technician or company to run a brand new heat load calculation after you do your spray foam. You may or may not need anything at all depending on how well your house wan insulated before. Also, make sure you figure out what you are trying to accomplish and that the spray foam guy knows how to make it happen. I'm not an insulation guy but I am in Attica at times and see some spray foam jobs where they didn't enclosed the entire attic and basically created a tropics greenhouse that molded everything. Don't cheap out kn contractors.
https://linqapp.com/jason_duke --- JasonDuke@InfinityRoofer.com --- https://infinityrooferjason.blogspot.com/
F2Aggie
AG
Thread about this that may have some info.

I looked into doing this but than read horror stories of turning your attic into a greenhouse cause it was done incorrectly. Would like to do it but perhaps on a home I build from the ground up.

If you find good contractors in BCS/ Houston let me know.

https://texags.com/forums/61/topics/3236500/replies/60401559
tgivaughn
AG
If I was going to foam anything, it would be the attic FLOOR aka above ceilings, IMHO
and take the rest of the money on a vacation

re also: "Money Pit" blogs & WTAW Saturdays 7-9am
IMHO and am sticking to it
tgivaughn
AG
Deja vu
For a limited time, Climate Doctors - the HVAC good guys - are offering an attic re-do that addresses all your concerns.
Their illustrated ad is posted on NextDoor.com and other places.
IMHO and am sticking to it
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
I used Pro Foam Insulators for my remodel in Millican.

ETA: I also installed a variable a AC and whole home dehumidifier. The dehumidifier was more of a personal preference. You'll see differing opinions on whether it is necessary when you have a wo-stage or variable AC unit.
El_duderino
I'd think that defeats the purpose of spray foam though.
TXAGcommenter
AG
Pro Foam Insulators do a great job.

Additionally you will need:
1) dehumidifier
2) recommend changing gas furnace to an electric heat pump
3) redoing of sealing any vented soffit or attic vents.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.