Another "what's wrong with my grass" thread

1,406 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by bobinator
bobinator
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So first off, I know I should have fixed this problem earlier and I've let it get too far where I might not have any great options now. We had our first kid last year and it's thrown off my yard game.

This corner of my yard though has been getting worse and worse since probably early to mid July. I thought at first it was just lack of water since it started to get pretty dry around here, so I started watering it fairly regularly (you can see the rest of the yard looks okay.)

I also actually treated for chinch bugs and put down a fungicide in late August because I thought that might be the problem, but it didn't seem to improve, and now another grass is invading pretty quickly (all of that green has come up in the last few weeks.)

This part of the yard gets full sunlight for most of the day (most of the rest of the yard is shaded by a big tree)

Thoughts? Suggestions?

mosdefn14
AG
Have you dug up to check for chinch bugs or grubs?

Late August seems like a pretty late treatment.
bobinator
AG
Yeah, I got in there with my hands pretty good to look for chinch bugs but didn't see anything. I went ahead and treated for them just in case, but it seemed to still keep spreading. Maybe I didn't look hard enough though.

I didn't look for grubs though.
JSKolache
AG
Web worms. They got me last year. I sprayed yard 3x in 14 days as recommended. Apparently it worked - I'm still seeing some moths fly around this season, but nothing like last year. Last year if I walked the yard in the evening I would spook up hundreds and hundreds of moths. This year only a handful.
bobinator
AG
I haven't seen any moths though either, and I usually mow in the evening.
keo1
AG
looks like grub worms damage
Keo1 Landscaping and Irrigating BCS since '91 If its growing we can mow it
karmapoliceman
AG
To check for grubs, try grabbing the dead turf and pulling. If it peels up pretty easily like the roots have been cut, there's a good chance it's grubs.

Also, how does the green turf look on the edges of the dead patches? Any spots on the blades, irregular damage like chunks eaten out of sides of blades, etc.?
bobinator
AG
It comes up pretty easy. Is it worth putting anything out for grubs at this point of the year or is the damage already done and over with?
Thisguy1
Just an FYI for the future, chinch bugs will continue to affect the grass even after treated. They inject a toxin in the grass that continues to work. Grubs need to be treated earlier in the year.

The grass filling in is probably bermuda. It will fill in quicker than SA. The SA should take over the bermuda over time. The grass is already slowing down so I doubt you'll see anything recover this year.
bobinator
AG
Maybe I should put a border around the bermuda, get a reel mower, and turn that part of the yard into a putting green.
Thisguy1
Lol idk how well native bermuda would do as a putting green, but I like the thought!
bobinator
AG
Between that and my wildly sloped front yard it would be horrible.

Thanks everyone for the help/diagnosis. Hopefully I'm more on top of it this year and spot problems earlier.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.