Thinking about adding new attached garage - Many questions

1,786 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by '03ag
'03ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Apologies for the crude drawing. Looking for y'all to poke holes in this plan, and give me an idea of costs.

We currently have a 2 car garage that faces the back of the property. We're on a corner so the driveway is on the side of the house. You enter the drive and turn 90 degrees left into the garage.

We're considering adding a 3 car garage, attached to the current garage, but where the doors now face the street. and you drive straight in.

Current garage would then be split up into and office and a workout space. Would also like to the new garage to be two stories, with a large media room in it. The house one story everywhere else. There are several challenges I see with this, and probably many y'all will see that I don't.

1. the red line on the pic is aerial electrical line to the house. Breaker is currently in the garage. Would the service/meter need to be moved to the far corner of the new garage? If so, would the breaker box need to move with it, or could the meter be placed on the corner and a line running along the house(or through the walls?) to the panel?

2. The brown line in pic is gas coming to the house. It's buried under the driveway. New slab would be very close to this line. I don't know if that's a big deal or not. I'm assuming concrete guys no how to deal with this.

3. Adding HVAC. Getting this to the existing garage doesn't seem like a huge problem. The attic above the garage is open all the way to our HVAC unit, so that doesn't see hard, and I suspect my unit will currently handle the extra space. The house is 2700sqft now, adding the garage conversion would take us to ~3200. The bigger concern for me is the 2nd story above the new garage, which would be an additional 600-700 sqft, and not easily tie into the existing HVAC.

Currently we don't plan to add any plumbing to any of this. Mostly to save money, but that does seem like one of things you regret later on. But in my mind this is fairly simple. need a new slab for the addition and there will be some concrete work to tie into the current garage as well. Get power and HVAC, but no plumbing work, no trying to tie into sewage, or water supply. Mostly concrete, framing, roofing, electric, and finish out.

This side of the house would be well served by another half bath, but it's not critical. We currently have 3 full baths. I suppose it would all come down to how much extra that would be. I have no idea where we tie into the sewer line. I know our water meter is on the complete opposite side of the lot.

F2Aggie
AG
Is the water line a concern? Both incoming and sewer?

Does the new garage interfere with any building lines?

For the hvac I would think a mini split would be a good solution. Or 2
. One for above new garage, one for garage conversion.
'03ag
F2Aggie said:

A concern how? Like interfering with the new foundation?
Quote:

I don't know what you mean.
Quote:

I don't know what this means either. 2 more units?

Currently we have one unit with a 3 zone baffle system. Right now the zone adjacent to the current garage serves a bedroom and a living space. I would assume that One could also cover the current garage, but not the space above the new one.

I'm thinking a separate unit could serve the new space above the garage and the old garage conversion. But again have no idea what that would cost.
F2Aggie
AG
'03ag said:

F2Aggie said:

A concern how? Like interfering with the new foundation?
Quote:

I don't know what you mean.
Quote:

I don't know what this means either. 2 more units?

Currently we have one unit with a 3 zone baffle system. Right now the zone adjacent to the current garage serves a bedroom and a living space. I would assume that One could also cover the current garage, but not the space above the new one.

I'm thinking a separate unit could serve the new space above the garage and the old garage conversion. But again have no idea what that would cost.

1. Yes where does your main water line come into the home. Where does your sewer line run. Assuming you looked into these items and they are not impacted.

2. Building lines like can not place a building or structure on some parts of your property. The new garage will not be out side of allowed structure spaces per your survey.

3. Look up "mini split" ac systems. I would thing that would be a great application for the above new Garage room and possibly old garage. Unsure how much cooling/ heating capacity you have with your current system and where the unit is located in order to run air lines.
'03ag
Thanks. This is all I have for a survey.

Unsure where sewer line is but the blue block on the top left is the water meter.
current HVAC is the blue rectangle with cross in it.
The line highlighted yellow is market B.L. so I'm assuming that's the building line?
Red line is my fence line. and the big blue hatched rectangle is the proposed new building.

I can see the back of the property has a 15ft drainage and utility easement. That 15ft appears to be where my rear fence line is. directly behind me is a large drainage ditch.

TMoney2007
AG
I would seriously consider adding a half bath to the upstairs. It's going to make the space drastically more useable. Imagine you're watching a movie and you have to go to the bathroom,... so you walk downstairs, through the garage(s) and into the house and then back. I fear that it will become a very expensive storage unit without a bathroom.

You could probably tie the house HVAC into the old garage, I would use a mini-split for the media room. If you insulation it properly, it won't take much to cool it and it won't be in constant use. Having a small, efficient unit with a wifi remote (so you can turn it on before you go to use the room) would be nice.
'03ag
For the very reason you mentioned we are now thinking the current garage would be the media room. It would overall be a better flow. Would be near the kitchen and open to the patio for GameDay grilling and such. Be close to a guest bathroom.

And then the rooms above the new garage would be workout space and home office. Two spaces guests would never need anyway.

The biggest problem with that is the ceiling would need to be raised in the old garage/new media room. I need to be able to swing a golf club in it. So may come down to how expensive that is.
TMoney2007
AG
You may be able to create an area where you can swing a club easier than you could raise the whole ceiling,... I have a feeling that's going to look a lot like rebuilding your current garage from a cost perspective. I don't know how high you need to go, but finding a place where you can create a coffer/pop-up tall enough may be possible.

I'm not sure what the order of magnitude for this project is cost-wise. It may not cost that much more to get plumbing into the second floor of the new building and you could have the layout that you really want. If it's $10k on a $80k project, I'd seriously consider it. It makes the space much more versatile.
tgivaughn
AG
If you wish to avoid residential architect services, then at least seek out a highly rated Design-Builder.
I can help find one.
Continuing DIY ideas need some City Building Dept input
IMHO and am sticking to it
'03ag
tgivaughn said:

If you wish to avoid residential architect services, then at least seek out a highly rated Design-Builder.
I can help find one.
Continuing DIY ideas need some City Building Dept input
I don't know what either of those are. What are they and what would they do for me?
GrimesCoAg95
AG
On the electrical, I would move the meter. Basically, the meter is moved and you add a breaker box to the new garage. You then feed the old box from the new one. It will just keep the meter from being in a weird spot, and you lose the overhead line across the driveway. The gas line is not a problem.

Someone else mentioned mini-splits for hvac, and that would be a good way to go. Be sure to look at heat pump units as you need cooling and heating.

I would not add this much living space without a half bath. You mentioned putting an office above the garage. A half bath near it would be very nice. You could also consider putting the bath in the new garage which might be nice since you have a pool. It might keep some of the in & out from the house while swimming down. Just a thought.

As for the golf club area, you can probably raise the ceiling in the garage fairly easily. Is there anything above the garage? If not, just search for gambrel ceiling. Basically, you follow the roofline up for a bit then level back out. The edges of the room will still be 8 or so feet, but the middle of the room is higher.

Are you also looking for cost estimates or just answers to those questions?
'03ag
Yeah it really depends on costs on the bathroom thing. No idea where the sewer lines are at this point.

I would need a sub panel in the garage if we moved the meter?

Cost estimates would be great.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.