$364 water bill....HELP!!!! (Dallas County, Far North Dallas)

4,653 Views | 47 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by CuriousAg
Aggietaco
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The only thing I've learned on this thread is that I need to stop complaining to the wife about how we use 5,500 gallons of water per month on average.
planoaggie123
AG
Aggietaco said:

The only thing I've learned on this thread is that I need to stop complaining to the wife about how we use 5,500 gallons of water per month on average.

You can take baths more than once a week
Raptor
AG
mosdefn14 said:

Raptor said:

We have three toilets (humble brag) and I have replaced the stoppers in all of them since June. I try and do it twice a year. I'll check them again, but if that's it....then that's a lot of lost water.
You replace toilet stoppers twice a year? Interesting hobby.

It's something my dad told me to do, although his house (I grew up in) had horrible foundation problems and plumbing was always bad. I guess he felt changing those was helping.
This post is for Cretaceous Level Subscribers only.

SandmanAg
AG
Raptor said:

mosdefn14 said:

Raptor said:

We have three toilets (humble brag) and I have replaced the stoppers in all of them since June. I try and do it twice a year. I'll check them again, but if that's it....then that's a lot of lost water.
You replace toilet stoppers twice a year? Interesting hobby.

It's something my dad told me to do, although his house (I grew up in) had horrible foundation problems and plumbing was always bad. I guess he felt changing those was helping.

Kinda like scratching your ass when your arm itches.
Raptor
AG
Just in case I missed something…Checked all three toilets by putting blue food coloring in each tank earlier today. No leaks, not even the slightest hint of a blueish hue.

#eastboundanddown

AgLA06
AG
Just because the meter doesn't move when everything is shut off doesn't mean you don't have a leak. Start checking all the things that can leak only when operable (dishwashers, tubs, showers, irrigation lines, pool fill lines.

You have too much water being used. My guess is an irrigation break. Shut off those things one by one for a week and figure out what it is.
Raptor
AG
AgLA06 said:

Just because the meter doesn't move when everything is shut off doesn't mean you don't have a leak. Start checking all the things that can leak only when operable (dishwashers, tubs, showers, irrigation lines, pool fill lines.

You have too much water being used. My guess is an irrigation break. Shut off those things one by one for a week and figure out what it is.

No pool. No leaks in our water heater, dishwasher, washing machine, and no water lines to our fridges. All spigots are good.

I'll shut off the sprinklers and see if that helps. What's crazy is that the meter was 1352 on September 7th. It's at 1363 today, so only 11 higher for this past month.

Did the "leak" slow down from 9/7-10/9?

We had "used" 58 the previous month.

Raptor
AG

And we are back to "normal" levels.

waterchick
Raptor said:

Our watering schedule hasn't changed since March.

This stood out to me. In any year, your watering schedule *should* change between March and October. Your landscape's water needs are vastly different in March, July, and October. You *should* be using more water in August, for example, than in March.

Have you checked for hidden programs on your controller? For example: you have Program A set to water MWF for X minutes for rotors, Y minutes for spray. But what about Program B or C? If there are watering days and start times programmed, those programs will run even if the the switch is set to A (TORO Greenkeeper is one that can do this).
FincAg
AG
I wish I had your water bill. 9000' of grass and we average $200 a month for the year.
Raptor
AG
FincAg said:

I wish I had your water bill. 9000' of grass and we average $200 a month for the year.
My September ($364) bill or my October ($109) bill?

AnyOtherName
AG
Irrigation break. A full circle spray nozzle puts out 1.5 gallons a minute... this is a tampered release. If you have a break that runs two times a day x 2 days a week x 4 weeks in the month.

Now multiply that by a broken head that is gushing out whatever your water pressure is.

Our last bill was extraordinarily high. I checked by stations and had two breaks...

Raptor
AG
Checked them all myself, no breaks. They all work properly and we're just checked in August by my yard guy.

CuriousAg
Your wife is pregnant and she is pissing like a race horse. Congrats on the kiddo!
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.