$364 water bill....HELP!!!! (Dallas County, Far North Dallas)

4,651 Views | 47 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by CuriousAg
Raptor
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
September bill:

$364 total - $297 is water

August bill:

$297 total - $211 is water

July bill:

$102 total - $34 is water

How in the world?

We don't have a pool. Our watering schedule hasn't changed since March. And I checked the meter for a leak, but with no water running, the number never moved.

This post is for Cretaceous Level Subscribers only.

BenTheGoodAg
AG
Any chance these are estimated vs actual readings? I think the totals for last year would give a better litmus test for usage.

Also, do you use a smart sprinkler controller, and has the weather been rainy in May, but dry in June/July (assuming they're billing you for the previous month?)
TravelAg2004
AG
You don't have a smart irrigation controller, do you? Ours has a feature that adjusts the water based on the weather and I noticed it watered a lot more in August than July. So maybe check that.

Or possibly you have a leak in your irrigation system that's gotten worse. So you don't notice it when you check the meter because the zone isn't on, but once it starts running it dumps a ton of water.
Cramp00
what the the water department tell you? to ask texags?
planoaggie123
AG
I would stop all water use in house and look at my water meter. Make sure it's not moving unexpectedly.
rebel06
AG
This happened to my wife and I earlier this year. I called the City of Dallas water utilities number and had them look into it. They came out and looked at the meter and realized there was a misreading and adjusted our bill. They looked back at our historical water usage and knew something wasn't right.

I'd give them a call and see if they can resolve the issue on their end. Their phone number should be on your monthly bill.
aggiedent
AG
Just as an FYI, not directly related to the OP's issues, but the cost of water is going to start to skyrocket. Your bill in 10 years will easily outpace your other utility bills.
planoaggie123
AG
I have not heard but interesting. What will be the driving factor?
rilloaggie
AG
The city of Houston is raising water prices by 80% over the next 5 years. Their reason is they want more money and trot out the "well it's way more expensive in the northeast and west coasts so we are just catching up to what's normal ".
agnerd
AG
Check your bill for how many gallons were used. There's often a surcharge when you go over a certain amount. make sure you aren't getting the first 10,000 gallons at $x and the second 10,000 gallons at $3x.
aggiepaintrain
AG
hope you don't have a slab leak
ABATTBQ11
AG
Doubtful if the meter isn't running.

Could be estimated usage. SAWS is really terrible about this and hits people with bills for massive usage, like filing an Olympic sized pool in a month, that really aren't physically possible all the time. They basically bill on estimates and then play catchup when they go and physically check.
AggieFactor
AG
Going to second looking at your controller. I saw almost the exact same thing here in East Dallas and when I looked at my actual watering report in the controller, all the different watering triggers in the summer had effectively tripled the amount of water that went down. Changed it and my water bill is back under $200 and all my shrubs are still getting plenty of water.
htxag09
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

Could be estimated usage. SAWS is really terrible about this and hits people with bills for massive usage, like filing an Olympic sized pool in a month, that really aren't physically possible all the time. They basically bill on estimates and then play catchup when they go and physically check.

I've always heard this but simply don't understand it. I'm in houston, but I've heard they do the same here. Have even had neighbors post that it's happened to them on nextdoor. But don't we have smart meters? Hell, I can log into an app and see usage by hour.
aggiedent
AG
I'm sorry but that's just false.

The EPA (Trump's EPA) and the TCEQ started to come down hard on Houston for the thousands of minor to moderate sewer leaks as well as some issues with the safety of drinking water. The upshot is, Houston needs to spend 2 billion dollars to repair and upgrade water and sewer infrastructure in the city to appease the EPA and TCEQ.

That is the driving force behind price increases, not
" we need more money."

There is enough to criticize the city about without making up stuff.
BadMoonRisin
AG
I had this happen to me a few years ago and was able to call the water company and have them send me a day by day usage estimate that helped me diagnose the problem.

I had 3 days of usage with over 10k gal and when I remembered back to that day, it was when my son and I were playing in the backyard. He was 2 at the time and it turns out that was the day he figured out how to turn the spigot on by himself...so my water was just running out of my hose for 3 days.

If you can get this report, it might help you figure out if you have a leak or just a spike on certain days and find a pattern.
I know I ain't leavin' you like I know He ain't leavin' us
I know we believe in God and I know God believes in us
ABATTBQ11
AG
htxag09 said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

I've always heard this but simply don't understand it. I'm in houston, but I've heard they do the same here. Have even had neighbors post that it's happened to them on nextdoor. But don't we have smart meters? Hell, I can log into an app and see usage by hour.

Not everyone has a smart meter for water. I know I don't.

To avoid having to physically check every meter, they estimate your usage based on historical monthly averages for your account and bill you on that. In SAWS case, they verify usage every so often, and, since they're huge dickbags, they bill for the difference in where they thought you were and where you are in one giant bill.

They've even gone so far as to blame meters, telling customers that they must have had an inaccurate old meter that was under billing them and their new bill is what it always should have been. Never mind that they're telling a normal family that they went from 10k-15k gallons per month to something like 50k-60k.
Raptor
AG
We've lived in this house for 11 years. Our water bills are always higher in the summer, but our sprinkler system does not have a smart anything. It only runs on the days and times we set on it's little outdated control box.

I checked our water meter out by the street and the numbers on our meter aren't even close to the "numbers" they reflect on our monthly bill.

rilloaggie
AG
https://billkingblog.com/quote-of-the-week-never-waste-a-good-crisis/

I know he's going to be biased against the folks in office now. That said, I bet if we revisit this in 10 years, the city will have bandaided some low hanging fruit/high visibility issues and will need more money again to fix the problem. No disputing that the infrastructure in Houston is sub par, just call me jaded that the city is going to address it with any serious or effective plan.

Edit: derail over!
aggiedent
AG
Normally I would agree with you. However…………, the EPA and the city have created a master plan. Or perhaps it's more accurate to say the EPA gave the city a to do list. In other words there is a set list of projects, in a set order, that have been agreed upon. It really gives the city little chance to attempt the "low hanging fruit/high visibility" approach without incurring fines and headaches.

That said, there is another reason that water will increase in price across the state and country. Supply and demand. You have perhaps read about subjects like rivers running low, or aquifers drying up. You've probably read about some folk's (farmers being a key player) water being rationed along rivers to insure that key industrial plants near the coast have sufficient water. Or how a city like Dallas (the largest per capita water user in the state) envisions a water shortage by 2050.

Water is getting more scarce. And to a degree our water costs are subsidized. That is ending and we are going to end up paying market cost and a lot of folks are not going to like it. The days of watering acres of St. Augustine will come to an end.
mosdefn14
AG
The good thing about putting the difference in one bill is you get into the 3rd and 4th tier pricing!

This is likely what happened. We recently switched over to the "smart" meters, and our whole street got a "true-up" bill from the final read of the old meter. Lots of big bills.
OldArmyBrent
AG
Once you solve the problem, Dallas water utilities will give you a refund for the wasted water. It's weird, but it's true.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Yep. I think water providers who use average billing should only be allowed to bill to what they assumed the usage was before physically checking and "true up" by establishing a new average starting at the new number. If there's a huge difference, too ****ing bad they should have been reading the meter. Either that, or any billing based on a physical read after an average billing should be restricted to tier 1 pricing for all usage.
agnerd
AG
Raptor said:

I checked our water meter out by the street and the numbers on our meter aren't even close to the "numbers" they reflect on our monthly bill.
There should be before and after readings on the bill, with you being charged for the difference (in 1000s of gallons). If the "after" reading on the bill is higher than your current meter reading, call the water company and tell them that they have an incorrect reading. Tell them what it is today, and tell them you expect them to refund your money and any fees for high usage while also paying you the same late fee and interest for overcharging you that they would normally receive for you not paying your bill.
njw92
AG
Raptor said:

It only runs on the days and times we set on it's little outdated control box.

Sounds like a misreading. However, PSA - my simple controller like this randomly set one zone to run for 5 hours a couple of summers ago. Took me a couple weeks to figure out what was going on because it was running overnight.
wcb
AG
Keep in mind we had a ton of rain / cooler weather early to mid summer this year. Didn't really start getting hot and dry until August. Any idea what your bill normally runs late summer?
Raptor
AG
Went back and the actually numbers match up. I'm a dumbass.

I was looking at our 2020 bills when I thought they were the current ones.

June 2020 - 25 consumption
July 2020 - 36 consumption
August 2020 - 40 consumption
September 2020 - 34 consumption
October 2020 - 26 consumption
November 2020 - 18 consumption

June 2021 - 13 consumption
July 2021 - 5 consumption
August 2021 - 8 consumption
September 2021 - 43 consumption
October 2021 - 58 consumption

Does 58 mean 5800 gallons?

BenTheGoodAg
AG
Probably 58,000.
Raptor
AG
That's 1933 gallons per day on average.

We don't have a leak (at least the meter doesn't move at all when all the water is turned off) so I guess we just used a crap ton of water last month.

Guess I need to ration out shower time and start washing the clothes in the rain.

planoaggie123
AG
Those numbers seem really high (either that or we are more "conservative" with our water use than i thought).

We have a decent size yard + pool and my highest months in the past 12 months are 21.2; 19.1; 19.3.

Average monthly over 12 months is 13

We water 3 cycles per week; top off pool as needed (max 1 time per week); basic laundry / shower / etc.

All the rain this summer was nice as it kept us from having to water some days and did not top off the pool as often.
SandmanAg
AG
Raptor said:

We don't have a leak (at least the meter doesn't move at all when all the water is turned off) so I guess we just used a crap ton of water last month.

Guess I need to ration out shower time and start washing the clothes in the rain.

Sorry, I only briefly scanned the thread, but have you checked your toilets. I had a slow leak that probably added up to about what you're seeing. Was surprised it used so much. I quit using the chlorox pucks in my tanks as they degrade the stoppers (think the new ones might not degrade?)
Raptor
AG
bb94 said:

Raptor said:

Sorry, I only briefly scanned the thread, but have you checked your toilets. I had a slow leak that probably added up to about what you're seeing. Was surprised it used so much. I quit using the chlorox pucks in my tanks as they degrade the stoppers (think the new ones might not degrade?)
We have three toilets (humble brag) and I have replaced the stoppers in all of them since June. I try and do it twice a year. I'll check them again, but if that's it....then that's a lot of lost water.

planoaggie123
AG
i would think a slow toilet leak you would likely see at your meter. I am not sure how yours is specifically but during Winter Storm we had frozen outdoor bibs and I was watching it like a hawk and the SMALLEST turn on of any faucet (even a drip) was pretty obvious....

Changing stoppers twice a year...impressive....i tend to wait till they are warped and completely ruined HAHA
mosdefn14
AG
Raptor said:

We have three toilets (humble brag) and I have replaced the stoppers in all of them since June. I try and do it twice a year. I'll check them again, but if that's it....then that's a lot of lost water.
You replace toilet stoppers twice a year? Interesting hobby.
agnerd
AG
Raptor said:

Went back and the actually numbers match up. I'm a dumbass.

I was looking at our 2020 bills when I thought they were the current ones.

June 2020 - 25 consumption
July 2020 - 36 consumption
August 2020 - 40 consumption
September 2020 - 34 consumption
October 2020 - 26 consumption
November 2020 - 18 consumption

June 2021 - 13 consumption
July 2021 - 5 consumption
August 2021 - 8 consumption
September 2021 - 43 consumption
October 2021 - 58 consumption

Does 58 mean 5800 gallons?
Move everything to a month earlier, and June July and August (May June July) are suspicious. Unless you've drastically changed how you run your sprinklers or went on vacation for two weeks, it looks like they weren't reading your meter for a few months and have now "caught up." It's only a problem if they charge you extra if you go over a certain amount in a month. Otherwise, you got a free no-interest loan.

But next time you get an unusually low bill, check the meter. If they charge a high-usage free, have them correct the reading. otherwise, just be happy with the free loan.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.