New House - Garage Epoxy Floot Question

3,162 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by sanitariex
Red Pear Luke (BCS)
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sponsor
AG
We close on our new build in a few weeks. I was hoping to use the DIY epoxy floor kit on the garage floor.

Do I need to do everything previous to rolling it (acid wash, oil degreaser, etc) before hand? It's going to be new concrete so I can understand the acid wash. But don't really know if I need to pressure wash and oil decrease and all that jazz.

Also - is it ok to use one of the kits from Home Depot/lowes or is there another one?
BenTheGoodAg
AG
FWIW, there was another thread on this a few months back with several relevant tips: https://texags.com/forums/61/topics/3176746
Red Pear Luke (BCS)
Sponsor
AG
BenTheGoodAg said:

FWIW, there was another thread on this a few months back with several relevant tips: https://texags.com/forums/61/topics/3176746

User name checks out! Thank you sir!
BenTheGoodAg
AG
You got it - good luck and throw up some pics when you get it done.
TravelAg2004
AG
For what it's worth, I'd do all the steps just to be safe. It's not fun work, so I'd rather do it right one time than have it start peeling in a few months.

I know when we built our house, the crew used the garage as the dumping ground. Everything got thrown out there. They power washed it before we closed, but it was still stained and pretty gross. So I wouldn't assume it's clean even though it's "new" concrete.
Builder93
AG
Get the rust-o-leum kit at Home Depot. It's actually a repackaged pro model that I used to install professionally. You must prep the floor properly. Do not skip any steps. Also, if you go with a cheaper product you will wish you hadn't.
Garrelli 5000
AG
Last home (mentioned in linked thread above) we used the material from Sherwin Williams. Sign up for SWs emails and if you can wait they have 30% off weekends they advertise via email.

Didn't add the flakes - figured that's just something to start peeling later.

100% Pure Aggie
Garrelli 5000 said:

Last home (mentioned in linked thread above) we used the material from Sherwin Williams. Sign up for SWs emails and if you can wait they have 30% off weekends they advertise via email.

Didn't add the flakes - figured that's just something to start peeling later.

I applied anti-slip grit, flakes, and clear-coat 2 years ago. All is good! no flaking etc. I got cheap $1 mats and put them where my 'hot' tires ended up so as to not degradate the surface there. Worked well!
planoaggie123
AG
So I am not sure what it is....but the house we bought...they did some sort of epoxy or paint on the concrete.

While it looks nice....i HATE it.

If i get like 3 drops of water on my shoes I feel like I am ice skating.

I have fallen on my ass 2 or 3 times in 2 years....always coming in from taking out trash when its misting / raining. First step from outside onto the garage floor and its almost automatic falling...

is there an easy way to fix this? guessing not....
AggieChemE09
AG
planoaggie123 said:

So I am not sure what it is....but the house we bought...they did some sort of epoxy or paint on the concrete.

While it looks nice....i HATE it.

If i get like 3 drops of water on my shoes I feel like I am ice skating.

I have fallen on my ass 2 or 3 times in 2 years....always coming in from taking out trash when its misting / raining. First step from outside onto the garage floor and its almost automatic falling...

is there an easy way to fix this? guessing not....
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Oleum-8-oz-Anti-Skid-Additive-301244/206495776
planoaggie123
AG
Ahh ok so there is an option. I had not seen that or maybe assumed it would not work on top.

Looks to be a slight pain but maybe / probably worth it especially since we plan to use part of our garage more once we add the fridge and will make it almost a "pool house" as much as anything....
AggieChemE09
AG
planoaggie123 said:

Ahh ok so there is an option. I had not seen that or maybe assumed it would not work on top.

Looks to be a slight pain but maybe / probably worth it especially since we plan to use part of our garage more once we add the fridge and will make it almost a "pool house" as much as anything....
yeah, a friend of mine did his floor before I did and complained of the same issue. The Lowes/HD had this stuff right next to the epoxy kits so I gave it a try. I think it has done a fair job of preventing the floor from being hazardously slick, but I still use my broom-sized squeegee to push any large amounts of water out.
planoaggie123
AG
Appreciate the idea. Definitely worth a try. Its pretty wild how unsafe it is....would be good with a rough / uncolored concrete...dont mind oil stains etc as long as functional / not hazardous....
Dr. Doctor
AG
When I did my garage (I posted a thread about it a while back) in my old house, make sure you put a clear coat on it.

If possible, put two coats of it. That will protect the grey/base coat and acts like a sealant.

The only issue I had was hot tire pickup on 2 out of 8 tires. I bought some clear Urethane coating and painted over the area (after somewhat chipping up the parts peeling) and it stopped any more pickup. Since cars parked there, you wouldn't notice the slight color difference. But it made the garage look much nicer.

If you can, paint up the walls of concrete as well. My garage had about a 4" lip of concrete around the floors. I painted up that to the bottom of the sheetrock. Looked nicer.

~egon
beachfront71
AG

Dont know where you are at but if you add up everything including your time you might find its not a huge savings going with an installer ... and you get a warranty ..

Around here the 1 day guys are well under 2k for a 3 car and prob not using anything much different than you can buy.

If you havent seen the micro chips.. I think they look way better

MTTANK
AG
beachfront71 said:

Dont know where you are at but if you add up everything including your time you might find its not a huge savings going with an installer ... and you get a warranty ..

Around here the 1 day guys are well under 2k for a 3 car and prob not using anything much different than you can buy.

If you havent seen the micro chips.. I think they look way better

Where are you located?
RO519
AG
I used the Rustolum kit from Home Depot on our 3 car garage before we moved in. As stated above, the prep work is what makes the epoxy bind and last. Pressure wash, acid etch, pressure wash, pressure wash again then let it dry completely before you put down the epoxy. Also, let the epoxy set up as long as you can before you park or put anything heavy on it. I waited two weeks before my wife parked her SUV on it and we have had zero issues with hot tire pick up. Floor is going on 3 1/2 years.

Strongweasel97
AG
I did mine with one of the Home Depot/rustoleum kits. It looked about like the one above. I'd buy at least double to triple what it says to buy. You can always return the unused/unopened, but to run low during it sucks.

If I had to do it again, I'd pay professionals to do it. Especially if you've got some pretty good oil stains and buildup-and especially if you've got cracks (even thin ones will eventually start showing after a year or so.

I don't shy away from home projects but I absolutely hated that one once I started going through all the steps: power wash, acid, crack filling etc.

Edit: we parked cars on it after 24 hours and never have had hot tire issues either.
big ben
AG
Paid a guy out of Ft Worth to do mine, $1400 and he used industrial strength chemicals and after 3 years still looks new
jarrett
AG
big ben said:

Paid a guy out of Ft Worth to do mine, $1400 and he used industrial strength chemicals and after 3 years still looks new
Interested in this in FW, as well. Can you provide or PM his info?

thanks in advance!
HarleySpoon
AG
big ben said:

Ben, I don't think you can PM…..but I too would appreciate the Fort Worth guy's contact info. Thanks.
big ben
AG
Email me at aggieben08 "at" yahoo for DFW floor guy contact info
drred4
Nice DOSS sticker on the fridge. Good lookinf floor and garage
lb3
AG
I went with al****arage.com's epoxy system. Looked like new for about 8 years but then the clear top UV inhibitor layer started delaminating by the garage door where it gets direct sun. Still looks good overall and with the glass beads, it's not slippery when wet.
sanitariex
AG
I was originally planning on doing my own, but our house was delayed on closing so I didn't a chance until after we moved in and had way too many projects to take this on. We had 700 sq ft, but am glad I paid someone else to do it, it was a two day turn around and I was parking on it on a couple days. Decided to go with polyaspartic instead of epoxy as it faces south west and gets a lot of direct sunlight.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.