Thoughts on rubber mulch

1,609 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Mathguy64
Garrelli 5000
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We have a lot of flowerbeds around our house. The mulch we've typically used is shredded. It is problematic because it gets trapped in our dog's fur and slowly works its way into the house.

We've considered rubber mulch but aren't sure if it would be any better.

Thoughts? Dangerous for animals? Snake oil?
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Not sure if it is the same stuff, but my kids old day care school had one playground with black rubber mulch under it. Their shoes and legs were always covered in black when they came home after playing in that yard. I would be concerned about a dog tracking that kind of situation into the house.
will.mcg
AG
Don't do it! Brush your dog before let it inside.
Garrelli 5000
AG
good to know, thanks!

Garrelli 5000
AG
Brushing dogs before re-entering isn't an option. They have a dog door so come and go.

Sounds like I should avoid rubber however. I might need to consider rock in the areas I know they're getting most of the mulch, or the bigger chipped mulch which I don't care for either.
Bassmaster
AG
You'd be better off doing some type of rock over rubber mulch.
JP76
nm

TexAg1987
I did rubber mulch. Hated it.

Can't clean the leaves out of it.
If it gets displaced, it is there forever. In the grass, etc.
Eventually it works its way into the dirt. These are especially true if your dog plays in the beds.
Doesn't hold moisture, so beds dry out/burn

Find something you can live with (Nugget mulch?) that you can top dress each year.

Rocks are the same as rubber mulch in my opinion.

P.H. Dexippus
AG
https://texags.com/forums/34/topics/2862530
planoaggie123
AG
Agree. We have a few rock beds and they are definitely not zero maintenance.

Have to hand pick out leaves sometimes and weeds etc. We also have issues where rocks get kicked out and go in lawn (then lawnmower) and pool (stuck in cleaner).

They might still be best bet for OP but not perfect.

Would def do rocks over rubber mulch (brother has it and they are looking to get rid of it).
Texker
AG
Stick with the real stuff and deal with the little bit of dog and house maintenance. It's much safer for the family and dog and better for your landscape. We use shredded cedar.

Roger That
AG
Texker said:

Stick with the real stuff and deal with the little bit of dog and house maintenance. It's much safer for the family and dog and better for your landscape. We use shredded cedar.

And a little training can keep the dog out it.
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
Or landscaping glass
Mathguy64
AG
Years ago we (and by we I mean Mrs Mathguy wanted it and I supplied the labor) put out rubber in the back yard beds. It's mostly gone now. Mostly. Never again.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.