Question about Bobcats

2,047 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Divining Rod
Divining Rod
How long do you want to ignore this user?
If anyone could answer one, some, or all of these:

1. I've never operated one- how do you learn straight out of the box- like backing it off a trailer? If I rented from Home Depot, do they give yoiu any short demo before handing the keys to the trailer, or bring it to your job site? ( I can get this answer from them directly, but if youi have the answer thanks...)

2. What size trees/bushes can it knock down? up to 3 or 4" in diameter? more? If you want to uproot a small tree, does it make it more difficult if you were to first cut it down to a shorter stump (like a foot or two) with a chain saw?

3. What I'm trying to accomplish: clearing out underbrush, small diameter trees, making a few trails, re-grading a rough gravel topped road that has a lot of new weeds and small bushes growing in it. Would I be better off with a larger tractor (which they also rent at HD)?

4. What's the "scariest" or "most important" thing to know about operating one of these?

Thanks!

dallasiteinsa02
Clicked on this thinking someone was going to go head to head with the animal.
Txgunrnnr
AG
You might get better answers on the outdoor board.
“If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses.” -Henry Ford

#FJB
docb
AG
They should give you a short demo on how to operate the machine. They are fairly easy to learn how to use. 3-4 inch diameter is not a problem at all except that a lot of them may simply just bend over instead of breaking. I've never noticed Home Depot to rent anything beyond smaller skid steers. Maybe better served by renting a skid steer with a sepi type (rotary brush destroyer) attachment. This will require high flow hydraulics on the machine. Maybe a Sunbelt or similar construction equipment rental place.
AggieStan
Outdoors board is your friend
aggieforester05
AG
Rent from the Bobcat dealership. You'll likely get a newer machine with an enclosed cabin and HVAC. We have one rented right now that's brand new and even has Bluetooth stereo. They would probably give you a demo at the store and be much more knowledgeable and equipped to repair breakdowns than Home Depot.
Marvin_Zindler
AG
When you tip it over this weekend, please post a picture here.
aggieforester05
AG
BTW, get one with tracks, much less damage to your terrain and better traction.
Divining Rod
thanks, I first thought I'd post this on the Outdoor board, but I thought I'd get a bunch of replies suggesting I take it to this board. By the description, this forum is the better fit, but in reality maybe not.
Serious Lee
1. its easy to learn, takes time to master.

2. i operate a mid size machine (little under 7K lbs and 60 hp) and with a grapple, 3" hardwood is about the biggest i can uproot. get the biggest track loader and see what you can do before you go in with a saw. you can bulldoze alot with a blade but sometimes ripping it straight up with a grapple is more effective.

3. i doubt they are going to have tractors that are any more capable than the largest skid loader, and they are far less maneuverable. just plan on it taking you twice as long as you envisioned since you have no experience.

4. since you arent lifting very much, rolling it over shouldnt be much of a concern.
PlanoAg98
AG
I have bobcat animals in my backyard but not bobcat machinery. I was very disappointed after opening this thread. I can give lots of advice on bobcat animals.
Divining Rod
thanks for replies. I'm concerned about tipping over as I knew a guy who got thrown and bucket hit him in head leaving him in bad lifetime condition.... (i think he was unloading it) but I really would like to be able to do it!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.