Pex plumbing and temperature

761 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Garrelli 5000
Garrelli 5000
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
New home (2019) witih Pex pipe. During the February freeze I had an interior sink faucet freeze up despite dripping (didn't drip enough). I realized then that I remembered the past summer that when turning on the cold water on that sink it would be very warm until the water in the line had been replaced.

It is a single story home. I'm concerned the builder should have wrapped the pex and didn't. Is that/this normal?

Last home was 2 story w/copper pipes. The water was definitely colder during the winter but I don't recall actual warm water from the cold during the summer.
Aggietaco
AG
Any un-insulated pipe run through your attic in Texas is going to be warm until the old water is flushed out. Insulation will help and pex will keep it cool longer than copper.
Aggietaco
AG
And sorry, to answer your question further, I don't believe insulation is required by code on either your hot or cold lines, but it is a best practice, especially with the hot water. If you have attic space and access to the lines, installing insulation (in the winter) is fairly easy and DIY friendly.
Garrelli 5000
AG
Gracias. I found construction pics and they insulated the hot lines but apparently not the cold. At some point when it cools off I'll figure out how to get where I need in the roof to wrap the cold lines.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.